main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collection Habits: What, Why, and How Much

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by darcphoenyx, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Collections are a very personal thing that we get great pleasure from assembling and sharing with others. I've noticed that each person's collection is as unique as the person to whom it belongs. - Sliac5

I couldn't have said it better myself, and the uniqueness of each person's collection is something that's always interested me. So (assuming this thread isn't redundant) let's talk about our collections.

What do you collect? The usual action figures, posters, Lego, comic books, toothbrushes, novels, underoos...the sheer amount of SW merchandise out there gives us a wide variety to choose from. What's on your shelf?

Why do you collect the things you do? Perhaps there's some special you have to get everything Lego releases, while you just give the 12 inch toys a passing glance. What is it about the things you do have in your collection that makes you enjoy picking them up?

How much do you collect? Do you just pick up the items that interest you and/or look good...or do you pick up everything that's out there, down to the most minor paint/sculpt variations?

2. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    The main focus of my collecting has always been and always will be Star Wars. Up until June of last year I strove to be a toy-line completist, but I finally decided that was no longer how I wanted to collect. So now I buy just the things I want, which means I get about 2/3 of what is offered up by Hasbro. I collected comic books for 22 years (1980-2002) and finished with a very respectable collection of around 11,000 comics. I pick up the odd non-SW toy solely based on how cool I think it looks. I've got the Sting and Glamdring replica swords from LOTR and would like to buy more in the future. I collect the odd SW items like shampoo, soap, band-aids, pencils etc as I find them and always on a whim. I never actively seek out those items.

Collecting is just a part of what I am as a person. I've tried to quit before and its just not possible. I honestly don't know just how much stuff I have, I've never catalogged any of it. I'll never sell my collection. I'll leave it to my son and he can do with it what he will after I'm gone.

If I ever sat down and figured up how much money I've spent on collecting over the years I'd probably pass out....that is if my wife didn't knock me out with a rolling pin first. ;)

3. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    What do you collect?
    Hasbro's 3.75 inch figures. As well as figures from other lines, predominately those featured in favourite films (Alien, Predator, LotR) and new versions of childhood toys (Muppets, He-man, Ninja Turtles).

Why do you collect the things you do?
    It's all about reliving my youth. It brings me pleasure. And now I'm a little addicted.
    I started back in 1990 when my maths tutor told me about a friend of his that had all the original Star Wars toys from Kenner (I weaseled out of actual maths with any discussions I could come up with). I decided to complete my collection from when I was kid.

How much do you collect?
    As far as SW is concerned, I now just get Classic Trilogy characters. I used to be a completist, but the Saga line just wasn't worth it. I still like to pick up the Ep II jedi and senate members, as they were a bit of a mysterious element in the original trilogy.

4. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    What do you collect?

Pretty much exclusively SW...mainly 3 3/4" figures, vehicles, and creatures...as well as the Ep1 Die-Cast Vehicles, Unleashed, the Saga Action Fleet, a few Lego sets, and the new Lego Minis.

In addition I'll pick up some random items if I think they're interesting enough (Vader & Stormtrooper Palm Talkers) and a few non-SW reminders of my childhood (original mold Transformers).

Everything I collect is opened, and almost entirely Ep1 or later.

Well...I started because when I tagged alongside a few collector friends "just to look" at a TPM midnight sale I suddenly felt like a kid again. Something just clicked and I walked out unexpectedly with 8 basic figures as the basis for my collection. That joy of finding/opening a new figure proved to be very addictive, like a little blast of Christmas mixed with heavy drugs.

As the last red Ep1 cards hit the shelves I lost interest for awhile and sat out most of the POTJ line. For some reason it wasn't fun anymore...mainly because the wait for new stuff here in the South was so long that "the hunt" lost it's fun. It took Boba Fett (300th), Vader (Dagobah), and Maul (Final Duel) to get me back to the toy aisle...and the Saga line to get me hooked again.

Now, after almost a year of being "back in the game" I'm enjoying it more than ever.

How much do you collect?

For Ep1 I was a completist, picking up all the 3 3/4" I could find. Ultimately I wound up short a few of the later vehicles, and a couple figures in the very last waves.

Since the debut of the Saga line I've become a completist again, of the 3 3/4" line, Unleashed, Lego Minis, and Action Fleet. I've talked about backing off on the 3 3/4" line in '03...skipping repaints and redundant figures in favor of the variety of adding non-3 3/4" toys to the collection, but time shall tell if I can resist the temptation.

As for POTJ, I've gone back and picked up all of the vehicles via good eBay finds...and every now and then if I find a figure that I like I'll pick it up as well.

5. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    What do you collect?
    Action figures, occasionally Legos, and anything Darth Vader I can get my hands on.

I collect action figures because my childhood consisted of everything action figures. And my brother gave me his vintage Star Wars figures so that got me started.

How much do you collect?
    It's maybe 1 or 2 figures a week. I tend to buy DVDs and games more than figures.

6. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    What: Star Wars action figures and the movies is all I collect.

Why: Because I love SW!

How Much: I collect pretty much all the figures but not all resculpts or every outfit of the main characters.

7. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    What I collect: Star Wars 3.75" figures. Try to stay away from the ships, that can get expensive. I'm a collector on a budget.

Why I collect: Ever since I was a child, I've always had a special place in my heart for little plastic men.

How much: Basically whatever I can afford when I see it.

8. DaDarth

DaDarth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Love to collect the Star Wars Villians. The Sith, Fetts... they are just to cool.

9. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I collect Fetts, Clones and now... Vaders !

10. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    What do you collect?
    Mainly classic trilogy SW stuff and a little wrestling stuff (Ric Flair/Chris Benoit). I used to dabble in a little of everything - figures, posters, cards, toys, books, premiums, whatever just struck my fancy. Now I've seemed to settle down into mainly posters.

I initially got into collecting in 1977 'cause I was 6 years old and I actually liked to play with my figures (there's a novel concept). Now I'm concentrated on posters because I just love the artwork and they display easily. I try to get a poster framed every few months so I can hang it in my bonus room. I probably have ~150-200 carded figures in storage boxes because I just have no urge to coat a wall with them. I've seen pics of other collectors that do that and while I think they look cool, that is just not how I want them. I just like the idea of posters from different eras, different artists, different countries on my wall without seeming too obtrusive.

How much do you collect?
    I've slowed down some as far as posters go. I have a few specific items I keep an eye out for, but just the cost of framing what I have eats at my budget. On top of that, for every poster I have up, I probably have 10 in tubes. I am well on the way to exhausting my wall space, so I'm very specific about what posters I get now. I do still dabble in trading cards and subscribe to the comics, so that's the only thing I constantly try to keep up with now.

11. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    what:It's all Star Wars, mainly figures but just about anything Star Wars, especially vintage dixie cups, burger king glasses and other kitchenware, I'll consider it.
    why:I collect because I love it. The action figures remind me of being a kid. They look cool. Why do I like starwars dixie cups and other kitchenware like bowls, glasses and plates? I don't know myself.
    how much:With figures and toys, I'm not going to try to be a complete-o-maniac. I want to have all the figs yes, but not every variation, every package, every everything. When will I stop? I guess when the Star Wars line finally dies, then I'll concentrate on paying off bills instead of buying toys. Before I stop though, I want to have ALL the Micro Collection playsets. I will have to have the Bespin World playset in both Sealed box and loose complete. That's probably when the end will come.

12. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    Darcphoenyx, Coooool thread :D

What do you collect?
    I collect Most 3 3/4 inch SW figures, 12 inch SW figures, 3 3/4 Scale Ships & Vehicles & Playsets, Most SW LEGO sets, Some SW Posters, SW Comics, & SW books :D

I collect the 3 3/4 inch action figures the most because I Love setting up Big Star Wars scenes from the movies, Same goes with the Ships ;) They don't just hang from the ceiling, They are scenes as well :D I even set up the 12 inch in Jedi Duel scenes :) For me it's more about Recreating Star Wars scenes I Love :D I have 72 SW Movie scene Recreations :D And about 20 display scenes ;)

How much do you collect?
    I buy almost every 3 3/4 inch figure, I only buy my Favorite characters with 12 inch(Mostly Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunters, & R2 & 3PO of course) I like most of the Big LEGO sets, But it's expensive to keep up, So I buy the ones I like the most ;) I have most of the smaller sets. And the LEGO sets are in scenes too [face_mischief] I only buy the POsters I Really like, Same with Comics. I get All the EU books with the MAIN characters :) I buy action fleet every now & than, But only for ships I really [face_love] like the Falcon ;)
    I also buy Extra 3 3/4 inch figures (Doubles) for different scenes, Extra Stormies, Troopers, etc. And Extra Jedi & Sith cause I Love having A Lot of Lightsaber Duels set up :D

13. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    What do you collect?- Star Wars: Just about everything, action figures, posters, Pepsi cans/bottles, comics, books, shirts, lightsabers, cardboard standups, etc. Lord of the Rings: Action figures, All the books, Swords, posters. Other Figures: McFarlane Movie Maniacs. Simpsons. Reservoir Dogs. X-Files. Spiderman. Superman. Tomb Raider. X-Men. Other Stuff: Comics, DVD's (Over 700).

Because I just love toys and collectibles. Reminds me to try and never grow up. Always be a big kid.

How much do you collect?
    A Lot! Once I decide Im going to collect something, I go all the way and collect it all.

14. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    What do you collect?- Everything except Lego, all Hasbro toys, action figures, replica items, vintage items, movie posters, Pepsi cans/bottles, comics, books, shirts, lightsabers, store displays. I do not collect Lego but have a couple of the larger sets.

I have loved Star Wars since the day I saw it and have been buying items since then and will never stop.

How much do you collect?
    I spend everywhere from $3000-$4000 US a year on SW related items. I want to have a museum look to my collection and have it displayed in cabinets with
    accent lighting. My collection is insured with Lloyds of London. When I die, a good part of my collection will be passed on to fellow collectors and the rest will
    be auctioned off and the money given to the children's " make a wish " foundation...

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    What do you collect?
    I am what you could call an "on-screen completist." I want at least 1 of every figure representing a character on the screen in the movies. That means I pass up on all EU figures. I also get 95 percent of the vehicles, playsets, etc. And some select 12-inch figures. I also have a loose, complete vintage collection ;)

Because it's fun, is an extension of my favorite movies of all time, and keeps the kid in me alive.

How much do you collect?
    Way too much! 8-}

16. JangoFett23

JangoFett23 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    What?I collect any of the figures, vehicles and playsets I can get my hands on and have the money to buy them. Not all the different variations but just one of each if I can. Sometimes I will pick up misc. stuff.

Why?I plain out just love everything about Starwars! :)

How much?Pretty much I get about 2-5 figures a week.

17. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    What do I collect?
    Well, let's see:
    - select Star Wars figures
    - select McFarlane Toys figures
    - various statues based on comic books
    - West End Games 'Star Wars' RPG material (all out-of-print)
    - lots and lots of comic books

Why do I collect what I do?
    Well, I like things of beauty, which explains the comic book statues (Magdalena, Witchblade, Fathom). I am a "completist", so I go out of my way to get ALL of the novels and comics for a given franchise (I have complete collections with regard to Aliens, Predator, AvP, and Terminator). I also pick up specific Star Wars characters, and I really like the McFarlane 'Movie Maniacs' figures depicting films I enjoy (mainly Terminator, Aliens, Predator, and 'The Thing'), as well as McFarlane's two lines of 'Clive Barker's "Tortured Souls"' figures.

How much do I collect?
    Generally just figures from movies I enjoy, and furthermore, I get the characters I like. In terms of Star Wars, I collect various Jedi, all the bounty hunters, and any and all pilots (any affiliation, any movie, any timeperiod) and their ships. I have a veritable "hangar" on my desk of my room. I'll also pick up any characters that catch my eye.
    I don't buy action figures that often. Generally when I have money to spare.

18. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    What do I collect?- Everything with the name Star Wars on it.

Why do I collect? - It gives me great joy to look at my collection and to share it with others.

How much do I collect?- I only collect the thinks that I really love.

The below has been reposted from something I posted in the TapCafe thread this morning:

I will go to roughly 6-7 stores a week in the search of toys for my collection.
    I started out collecting props... lightsabers, and building lightsabers... this was in 1998 at the age of 33. I wanted to collect earlier than that but I just didn't have the money when I was younger. I always wanted Star Wars toys as a girl but no one would buy them for me because they were "boys toys." Instead they gave me barbie dolls. *GAH!* Well... I owe barbie a big debt of gratitude as it turns out. Being the Tom Boy that I was, I never even opened those barbie dolls, but left them in the box, and being the packrat as I am, I saved them. In 1998 I was able to sell those barbies and accessories on ebay for a small fortune, selling them and a lot of other toys from my childhood funded my Star Wars collection.

From props I moved on to collecting only vintage items, the stuff from my childhood. I then moved on to collecting autographed pictures, then in 1999 began to collect the newer figures as well. I am not a completest, I will only buy what I really love. I often do have to buy two of everything as my son loves Star Wars almost as much as his mommy. I don't limit my collecting to figures and ships, I have just about everything that has the Star Wars name on it. From Artoo Detoo socks, to napkins, to greeting cards, shoelaces, pins, soap, erasers, pencils, toothbrushes, plates... it goes on and on. The most unique items (I think), that I have in my collection as a piece of carpet from Senator Palpatine's office in Episode 1, and a Qui-Gon Jinn toy lightsaber autographed by George Lucas. My latest foray into the Star Wars world has been in costuming. So far I have a Royal Guard outfit and two sets of Jedi Robes. My Stormtrooper armor is coming shortly, and after that I have plans for Rebel Scout pilot and X-wing pilot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.