main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Collective Punishment: Rogue Qui-Gon Challenge, one-shot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Collective Punishment
    Author: ardavenport (aka Anne Davenport)
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: Qui-Gon goes Rogue or Tales of the Code Challenge, humor
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi OCs, droid OCs
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, droid
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn exercises his Jedi patience.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

Master Qui-Gon Jinn sat between Master Nulum and Master Moodi Tom on one of the cushioned tiers that looked down on the well of the conference room. A full audience of senior Jedi watched Master Zamtoe as he bowed to the silver protocol droid that was assisting him.

?While all droids to have deactivation switches, it is best to only employ them as a last resort, when you are sure that no other action is available...? Master Zamtoe, pointed one long, blue finger toward the back of the protocol droid. The humanoid-shaped machine started, holding it?s arms up in a fairly good display of distress, though it didn?t step away.

The Living Force in the room was a stale malaise of boredom.

Behind Master Zamtoe, a row of other machines watched in rapt attention, their eye sensors turning or swivelling to catch every move. They were a selection of the most commonly used droids in the Jedi Temple; among them were various little floor cleaners, a larger, gray-metal housekeeping droid, a shiny black and silver medical droid, a big, flat-topped load-lifter with yellow and black trim, a spindly analysis droid, various environment maintenance droids and binaries, a tall, cylindrical, red-hued inventory droid, three different consumable-preparation droids, water filtration binaries, air filtration binaries, solid conversion binaries, several different astromechs, several mechanique-maintenance droids, and a lift-shaft maintenance binary.

Zamtoe cheerfully invited all the binaries forward. The protocol droid stepped back into the crowd while Zamtoe scurried to catch a few binaries that didn?t understand what he wanted. There was a flurry of various shades of brown robes and large sleeves as the Jedi in the first tier row of the hemisphere of seats joined Zamtoe in the chase. One gray-haired Master used the Force to pull the lift-shaft maintenance binary off of a wall and gently floated it back toward the rest of the herd. Everyone who picked up or pushed a machine treated them with careful respect.

When they were all assembled and the front row of the audience back in place, Zamtoe pointed to each one, what it did and where one may encounter it in one?s daily routine.

Qui-Gon Jinn already knew most of this information, and he was fairly sure that the other hundred or so Jedi Masters listening did as well. The only thing even remotely interesting to Qui-Gon about this seminar was Zamtoe?s interactions with the various machines buzzing and beeping around the hem of his coarse, light brown robe. He clearly recognized the subtleties of the Living Force and knew how it flowed through even non-living things. Qui-Gon made a mental note to speak with him about it later.

After he had endured his current assignment.

Qui-Gon Jinn knew what had led to his present situation. He had sensed it in the Force.

Some crotchety, old Master had kicked a floor maintenance droid down a flight a stairs, so now everyone else in Jedi Temple was burdened with....

....Mandatory Binary and Droid Awareness.

Qui-Gon noted the discomfort of the senior Jedi around him, sitting on the tiers of seats around Zamtoe. Below and to his left, Qui-Gon spied two Council members. One of them, Ki-Adi Mundi, did not even attempt to stifle his yawn. Moodi Tom, the humanoid sitting on his left, shifted his large body in his seat, which was practically fidgeting

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I have been to those meetings - the endless, boring, ridiculous meetings that served little purpose other than to check off that one had done it. I loved that Qui-Gon had enough strength of mind to get up and leave when he was done.

Poor Obi-Wan though. I would assume he was always trying to explain his master's rogue attitudes.

Good job.

3. rabideuphonium

rabideuphonium Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    Heh

This was a sweet little piece! Only Qui-Gon would get up and walk out of a lecture! Heh. It's alright: I have the feeling that Qui-Gon on the council would be to much for the Jedi anyways! Great fic, thanks!

4. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Qui-Gon Jinn knew what had led to his present situation. He had sensed it in the Force.

Some crotchety, old Master had kicked a floor maintenance droid down a flight a stairs, so now everyone else in Jedi Temple was burdened with....

[face_laugh] I loved this ardavenport!

and poor Obi-Wan...though I think he's probably getting used to Qui-Gon's ways!

?I did violate the Code, my young Padawan. Technically. It is your place to question such an act,? he reminded. Obi-Wan bit his lower lip and looked down for a moment.

?Technically, Master.? A small smile curled his lips. ?You weren?t the only one who wished to act.?

:) Great job!

5. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Funny, realistic and touching, too. =D= Great job, ardavenport. :)

6. dralksakrak

dralksakrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2006

Poor Qui-Gon, heck i feel sorry for all the jedi.

Nice work =D= ardavenport.

7. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    So very Qui-Gon like to get up and leave when he was done, even if the meeting wasn't finished yet :D Very well done!

8. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Me likie.

All actions have consequences--some unseen. At least Qui didn't have to do anything really drastic to stay off the council! I loved that he was respectful.

This was the one inspired by your job, right? :rolleyes: Poor you.

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Qui-Gon's in corporate meeting hell! I don't blame him one bit for going rogue. [face_laugh] I especially loved all the names for the seminars, and the reasons why they were held. My favorite - the Research Etiquette. [face_laugh]

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    dianethx: I have been to those meetings - the endless, boring, ridiculous meetings that served little purpose other than to check off that one had done it. I loved that Qui-Gon had enough strength of mind to get up and leave when he was done.

Poor Obi-Wan though. I would assume he was always trying to explain his master's rogue attitudes.

Maybe dealing with Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan?s best training as a negotiator?[face_mischief] And Qui-Gon is a man of action, so walking out of a boring meeting would come naturally to him, once he thought of it. Thanks for reading!

rabideuphonium: This was a sweet little piece! Only Qui-Gon would get up and walk out of a lecture! Heh. It's alright: I have the feeling that Qui-Gon on the council would be to much for the Jedi anyways! Great fic, thanks!

Thank-you! Yeah, Qui-Gon would probably not be a good guy to have on a committee.

Kestrel_Kenobi: I loved this ardavenport!

and poor Obi-Wan...though I think he's probably getting used to Qui-Gon's ways!

Qui-Gon can be tough to deal with, but Obi-Wan is up to the task. But Obi-Wan is the negotiator, so he likely has a much higher tolerance for boring meetings. Glad you liked it!

LuvEwan: Funny, realistic and touching, too. Great job, ardavenport.

Thanks! :)

dralksakrak: Poor Qui-Gon, heck i feel sorry for all the jedi.

Thanks for reading! :)

Layren: So very Qui-Gon like to get up and leave when he was done, even if the meeting wasn't finished yet. Very well done!

Thanks! He?s so independent.[face_mischief]

Ara-gon: All actions have consequences--some unseen. At least Qui didn't have to do anything really drastic to stay off the council! I loved that he was respectful.

This was the one inspired by your job, right? rolling_eyes Poor you.

Yeah, though these days, instruction like this takes the form of online training courses, so there?s not much chance of walking out.:rolleyes: But I doubt that Jedi would ever use computers as instructors; they would put a more personal touch to them....something that Qui-Gon would walk out on, but he would be polite about it. I think that would show that he wouldn?t be that great on a committee like the Council. Thanks for replying!

JadeSolo: Qui-Gon's in corporate meeting hell! I don't blame him one bit for going rogue. laugh I especially loved all the names for the seminars, and the reasons why they were held. My favorite - the Research Etiquette.

I like the Research Etiquette, too! :D Those pesky padawans could get into all kinds of trouble, but everyone else would be ?punished? for it. This would be just the sort of punishment that rouge Qui-Gon would walk out on. Thanks for reading!

11. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Aww, poor Qui, but what a great story! :D I was about ready to cheer when Qui-Gon left the meeting. We have meetings like that in school all the time and all I want to do is jump up and run. At least Qui-Gon had more reserve than that. :p

Mandatory Binary and Droid Awareness

Anything with 'awareness' in the title... [face_worried] ;) The other classes sounded equally...enthralling. *cough*

Lovely story! A joy to read! =D=

12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooops, I should have replied sooner....Thanks so much for reading! Yes, putting 'mandatory' and 'awareness' in the title of any training course at work is a sure sign of hours of wasted time to come, when the point could have been made in a few paragraphs. Qui-Gon is just the kind of rogue smart enough to see than and do something about it.

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Meetings are of the Dark Side! [face_skull] This was wonderful! You took a very "real" situation and made it into a life lesson, not only for Qui-Gon, but for Obi-Wan as well. =D=

?All you need, is to be aware that the Force flows through all things, even...?

Zamtoe had said the same thing, in various ways, throughout his talk. Like a revelation, Qui-Gon realized that this was indeed, all he needed.

Qui-Gon stood up. Master Moodi Tom hastily pulled his legs in to let Qui-Gon out to the aisle. He bowed politely to Zamtoe?s surprised, blue face down in the well of the conference room.

?I thank you, Master Zamtoe, for reminding me that this is all I need to know. I shall meditate on it,? he stated sincerely. ?And I shall be especially conscientious of all the machines and droids that serve the Temple and Jedi Order so well.?

Qui-Gon Jinn turned around and walked up the stairs to door. It slid aside for him.

?Master Qui-Gon...? This was Ki-Adi Mundi?s voice. Qui-Gon kept going. The door closed behind him.

Qui-Gon Jinn breathed deeply as he strolled down the vast, columned corridor outside. He would stop and explain himself if someone came out after him, but he didn?t think anyone would.

No one did.

That's SO Qui-Gon. :D

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

15. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Great!

Very funny.

We do have some of those meetings though picturing someone doing what Qui-gon did...

=D=:)

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks! Yes, Qui-Gon is just the sort of rogue to walk out on that kind of thing. [face_mischief] Alas, such training where I work is done online now, so walking out just doesn't have the same effect. [face_worried]

17. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    That was sooooo Qui-Gon....

I really like how you write Qui-Gon. Haven't read one yet by you about him that I didn't like.

Well done.

18. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thanks very much! Qui-Gon can be such a contrary character. Once he thought about it, I'm just sure he wouldn't put up with a dumb meeting like that. [face_mischief]

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nothing much more boring than work inservices and the yearly ones just terrible. :p

I loved this! So often I wish I could do just what Qui-Gon did and leave.

20. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaah, yes, those annual training sessions can be very tedious. And on top of those are the ones that get added because someone messed up somewhere. Qui-Gon is just the sort of rogue to walk out on all that. Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.