main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collectormania Gmex 3, Manchester 17-18 Nov '07 (Pre-planning thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by ForceGhostOfCozmic, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    http://www.collectormaniagmex.co.uk/

Ok November is a while away but there are somethings that need to be worked out before then. The big thing for us is weather we get a table at Gmex or not. For me, I think we should as it gives us the chance to spread the word about the wonderful world of the Fan Force and recruit new members as well as giving us a reason to spend more time at Collectormania. Since we're going to have to pay for a table, it would be a good idea to share a table with the 99th and RL.
    Now if we decide as a group not to have a table, I feel that we'd be missing out on a few things. We wouldn't really spend to much time at the event, though it would give us an opportunity to do other things in Manchester. But I think that it would be more worth while for people not to come all the way down here just to go to Collectormania just for a few hours. I'm really for doing more for this (if you couldn't tell :p ) though I don't know how everyone else feels.

Now there is a load we need to work out, like what we have on the table, to whose going to man it. Not everyone has to do something but it would be a great help if you volunteer in some way. At the end of the day, it's up to you guys what we do for that weekend. If people want just a social meet, then that's the way we'll go.

Over to you guys, any ideas would be cool :)

2. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    I'll be there...and i'll be rounding up troops for Saturday night drinking!

3. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I think we should definitely do something more than just turn up at G-Mex. I also think that the three groups (FF, RL and 99th) that get on so well would do well to approach Showmasters as a united group for a small "fan area", talk costs of having this (because we were lucky for the opportunities of 2006, thanks to SM, but now it's a different ball game). We have plenty of time to plan the area.

4. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well I was hoping that was what we're going to do :p Getting round Showmaster might be the biggest problem though.

5. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Your problem is thinking that you have to get round them, All our problems with tables in the past is lack of communication.

Find out who you have to speak to, tell them what we need and then try to negotiate a reduced price if possible, for example, that we would like a space big enough to advertise all 3 groups (if we go that way), say two tables, include a power socket if we want to run a presentation and tell them that we would like to pay this time rather than freeloading but since we're not selling anything and as we're providing the added attraction of costumers could we maybe get some concessions. eg discounted table and maybe a changing area.

Word it all nice like and see where it gets us.

6. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't worry, we'll negociate nice, but I am not going to them with "we need these concessions" from the get-go, that's will only get their back up - but if we are paying, there will be things as a support group for their event that will be needed.

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Ogli, don't worry me and Tim will work something out with them. And yes I know we need to have some kind of communication with SM, other wise we wont get anywhere.

8. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    I was talking to Nigel About attending Manchester's G mex in November while we were heading to Newcastle for his Gun !
    I should have my New costume by then so It would be my First event outside of the North East -
    But Id only be coming up for the day ![face_peace]

I would like a chance to walk around and chat with some of my fellow 99ers so I would'nt want to be tied to a table with a tin [face_mischief] If you are putting tables together Please please make sure you work it right and we dont have a up-set like last time!

9. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    I wont be there myself, but Im sure some of the other Rebel Legion guys will be around at the event.

10. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    i did gmex last time in a day plenty of time to have a look round troop a bit and photos

11. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Dave it will be great to have you there for how ever long you plan on staying. And we wouldn't force you to stay at the table, but I do ask that you help out in anyway you can.
    Also don't worry, the whole point of start planning now is so we get around any teething problems we had last time.

I had a feeling that would be the case, would you mind if the RL shared a table with us Jase?

12. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    I could help out in some way - But before I attend ill have to get a few pics sorted for the rebel legion uk site

13. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Not a problem, you wouldn't be ask to do much. Maybe just hand out leaflets or walk around with other costumers for a bit.

Speaking of costumes, I might try and get one for this. Though I don't know what to get yet, thinking something a little on the darkside :p

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    No one will be tied to a table (aside for maybe me unless I am needed for costume support). We all saw how much limited room there was around the table anyways, so all three groups (if all go) will work out how we manage the troops. And last time the upset was things like crew management (and some miscommunication) and that'll be ironed out for next time.

This is in the preliminary stage, we just need to know if you are going to be involved with the FAN FORCE effort on here. The other groups will most likely be asking on their own boards who is going for them. Hopefully we'll then have a combined list of who is coming for all groups to post here. That is not to say you can't talk to members of the public about the other groups you are involved with, the whole idea of a united front is to show that we all can work together, but when it comes to costuming groups you will more than likely be signed up to represent them over the FF-UK. And we'll respect that commitment - plus we serve a different need to the costuming groups.

Plus, we have CE first and there is plenty to work out for that.

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well if anyone is going to be tied to the table it will be the RSA/CR and his lovely assistant :p

16. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Who is this lovely assistant, and when do I get to meet her? [face_mischief]

17. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    When ever you like mate ;) [face_mischief]

18. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I'm not suggesting at we say we want this this and this for such a price, just that you'd do better to tell them from the start at we would like and can they accomodate us rather than the approach that was taken the last few times of they've given us the table so we take it and grumble when we don't get what we want.

19. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    The thing is, is SM where being funny with us before they canceled the March event. If we can get talking with them, I don't want them to kick up a fuss because we asked for too much stuff too soon.
    But we will tell them at some point what we need, and if we dont get what we need then we'll have to put up with what ever we get, since any table is better than none.

20. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    The grumbles were over certain things that we were told wouldn't be available to anyone at all, and would have been nice to have, and when we got there it wasn't necessarily true that all costuming groups didn't have the thing we asked for. There is no point going over this on here, this level of bargaining (for what they will give us) will be done on a RSA+CR/CO level tbh. What is needed from members is what you would like to see from us as a fan group (how we present ourselves, table material, etc), any new ideas that we could use, and so on.

21. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Three words - 'no' 'changing' 'room' - not the words people who spend many hundreds of pounds on elaborate costumes want to hear when offering their services for free to help promote the event they are at, who are then advised to change in public toilets or walk distances to the event in full costume in the pouring rain.

Fair enough - a table was provided which was greatly appreciated and a good central base for people to gather and talk to the public... but...you know....that didnt exactly set the scene for keeping the 'spirit of the film' alive when you see your favourite character putting on their costume in a gents or ladies toilets full of urinals[face_frustrated]

That is unless you are of course a paying exhibitor....and not a volunteer group. [face_thinking]

22. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    You don't really like Showmasters do you Jase? :p

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm assuming that if we pay this time we will get the chance for a changing room this time round. KOTE got a changing room last year, and I'm assuming this was because they paid for it.

I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.

24. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I was looking on their site and it seems that the most you can pay for a space is £135 and that's for a space with a wall, since there is going to be a few of us in costume it would be out of order of them not to give us a changing room.

25. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Jase lol, I was trying to not say the exact situation (scorpio link didn't quite work their bud :p ) because I don't think we need it on here. And yes, good work doesn't always mean free stuff unfortunately, hence why we have to decide what we want from a con meet, is it worth doing something to show what we are about, and knowing that things will cost - do we go ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.