main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collectormania, GMEX - Manchester

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Lord_Ogli, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    When this Event happens, I will be in UNI term at Crewe. Crewe ius only a 45 min train journy form any main manc station, so I dont think a hotel will be needed for me ( unless it was like, EVERYONE was gonna be staying over night ) . PLus Im not sure yet if I will be attended both days. of course its possible but as of now i am unsure...

Plus the main problem I have is getting to the GMEX. i have no idea what soever how to get there :( lol

2. Jedi_Nath

Jedi_Nath Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2005
    Looks good :D

3. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Well, I'd like to come along to this one, so if anyone wants a roomy for a hotel room, let me know :D

4. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Phill - Ive booked a room at the Ibis, but I think to date I will be rooming with Lord O...sorry...!

I mentioned something about car crime stats in Manchester (imprinted on me brain from when I lived there for 3 years :eek:) and he suggested that 2 Jedi's would be better together to protect me car!!

Its amazing how confident you feel with a Force FX in yer hand...[face_blush] [face_laugh]

5. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm very tempted to go but I'm not sure yet. Manchester just seems soooo far away for a South Londoner :p

And I find your recent post Edge rather apt. I've never been to Manchester but I always think of it as a bit of a dive. But I find most people from Manchester think the same of London, so hopefully we're both wrong ;)

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread and will let you know when I decide. The guest line-up looks very good though and the GMEX looks like a nice venue :D

6. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Matt - you gotta come mate! Dont worry bout the car thing - it happens everywhere mate - I was traumatised as it was kinda my first car back in 93, so it was my baby....but car crime happens everywhere of course. Its just about being sensible and doing all the normal things - like locking your car each night (dont say owt - I didnt last night....duh!) and parking in sensible places. [:D]

NCP have loads of good secure car parks there. I went to see the mighty Rush there last summer and had no worries.

It has to be done - this meet looks like its gonna be pretty sweet! [face_dancing]

OK - while in this post....

Dear All Northerners - at our last meet we talked about me taking my car down to Collectamania - so far the list of peeps that may come down with me stands at :

Lord O
    JP Leigh

I still have room for another two people to come - however - I wont be going back till Sunday after the event dont forget...

Please let me know if anyone wants to join in and share petrol - would make sense and make it a cheap trip for all! We are staying at the Ibis. Did I mention this already? [face_laugh] (its gonna be a long night in the bar!)

7. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I am definately tempted to go to this after talking about it at the darlo meet. Only problem is I cant put any money towards it until the beginning/middle of january cos of my loan. do you think it will be too late by then?

8. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    No, From what Jace said we pay for any rooms booked when we check in and you can only buy standard tickets on the door. So No Probs.

9. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ....the rooms at the hotel have to be guarenteed with a credit card number (but no charges are made at the time) - only paid for though on leaving the hotel - so no money required in advance right now - so long as you guarentee the room booking....I have done this for my room...I dont want to be told they are full near the time!

10. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    This is why I need some one to share with Jase, unfortunately I no longer have credit/debit cards, so I can't book things like hotels etc.

11. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Hey Santa!

You can book the room without a credit card initially....but it only counts as a 'provisional' booking....and knowing the hotel trade well, if the hotel starts to fill those are the first bookings to get chased/wiped....

I think Tim B is staying too Phill? [face_thinking]

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'll try my best to make it, but if I do go I'll probably be helping on my Uncle's stall and exhibiting my artwork as I do at the Milton Keynes event :D
    And I'd probably get to Manchetser via the train. I think that would be the safer, easier and maybe even cheaper option. So I'm less put off Edge ;)

The hotel room is the next tricky thing for me as I have no idea which hotels are good or bad. My Uncle usually gets Jason Joiner (the shows organiser) to get his room sorted, so I'm usually left in the lurch :p
    I'll have to do some research on that, but incase anyone's desperate for info, you can check out the showmater forum for some guidance.

13. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    if someone here is from teh manchester area, if they could give me a heads up. cheers

14. Slanir_Tezneech

Slanir_Tezneech Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Im full Mancunian, what you wanna know Orn

15. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Right, I think we need to get a little organised on this event now since it is just about two months (*pokes Dave and Chris*).

1] Who are definites and who are maybes? Aside from the FFUK North, who else is actually coming.
    2] Who has accomodation sorted already for themselves, and who may need to share?
    3] We may need to get in touch with the organisers, see if they mind us putting up/handing out leaflets about our group at the convention.
    4] For the main members of FFUK North - should we have a some sort of planning discussion on this via MSN? It is easily done, one of us starts of a chat and invites the others, not sure what the limit to people in such a chat is, but it is probably more than the number of members we have lol.

I think we need to organise a little, just so that everyone who goes isn't left out of anything or can't afford too much and has to pay more than necessary.

I was intending to get a single room for myself at the Ibis (I have been told I snore quite loudly at times, so I don't want to find an angry room mate ready to kill me lol). Also, I will get pics of the Ibis from a website I found (and lost), not sure if the showers in the rooms are quite "private" for two non-partners lmao. I'll get the pics so you can decide for yourselves.

Any advice from other FFUK groups on things we can do for this event? Any advice/help is always welcome. I'll write a post for the starwars.com forums as promised, post it here, and if everyone is ok with it, I'll post it there. I'll do that tomorrow (works do tomorrow, but it's an afternoon thing, depending on if chav/cave girl decides to strike or not lol :p ) or friday.

16. Slanir_Tezneech

Slanir_Tezneech Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Hey i fancy going to this, its just doen the road from me, i live in Stretford and its not to tricky for me to get there :D

17. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    I'm a definite. No need for accommodation cos I live just outside the city centre.

18. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    =D= @ Tim - its looking mighty big...

Accomodation - booked (Ibis, Sat) - sharing with Lord O (so long as he doesnt sleepwalk...)
    Tickets - Standard tickets ordered for the weekend(from website)
    Travel - Car - 2 spaces available going from the NE - going Sat am, coming back Sun pm
    Costuming? - Yes - Jedi
    Name badges for the day - Phill is working on this I think[:D]

MSN a good idea Tim!

19. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    In Response to Tim's post:

1) I'm a maybe at the mo. Will try to get an official confirmation ASAP :D

2) I would need to book a hotel room, but not sure if it would be for just 1 or 2 nights. I need to research this more but I might go for a hotel outisde the main area and commute into the GMEX. May need some travel help on that one though :p

3) I may be able to help on that front. They usually have a set of tables with flyers on, so as long as you clear it with Jason Joiner you should be able to put them on the table. If not, you can put some leaflets on my Uncle's stall ;)

4) N/A

In terms of what we could do for the meet, I'm not sure what this area of Manchester has to offer but apart from meeting during the show, we could maybe meet up on Saturday evening too and grab some dinner.

20. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Sounds good! Probably a 'liquid' dinner if the Midlands gang have any say! [face_laugh] From the Showmasters website, they seem to do a regular 'party' thing at these events too - I joined the site and asked them what the score is about the party, so will update you as soon as I know....

There seems to be quite a few people saying they will be costuming too - CSI, Harry Potter, Narnia and maybe some StarGarters...looks like fun! [face_dancing]

21. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    L-T - there's a hotel not far from us that's supposed to be ok - not sure how much it costs though - Diamond Hotel Hyde Road, Manchester Tel: 0161 231 0770. Fax: 0161 231 0660. Easy to get to Manchester as the bus stop is right outside - Colin and I can always meet you and stop you getting lost ;)

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Stargarters Hedge?

This some new kind of kinky Sci Fi show I'm not up on

Yet...

23. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Haha - it wasnt designed to be a typo - well done for noticing and held the end up for intelligent and humourous Northerners! [face_dancing]

I think perhaps it was a fraudian slip - always on my mind and all that [face_blush]

24. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    Well, which train station in Manchester is best to step off at for the G Mex adn How far away is teh Gmex from the nearest train station?

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Nearest station would be Deansgate, But Piccadilly would be best as it has trains in more frequently and has them leaving later as well (In case you stay for a pint)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.