main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collectormania, GMEX - Manchester

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Lord_Ogli, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Right, this is what I got:

York to Manchester - £20
    Room - £25 ish sharing with Jace. (May be subject to change depending on where we stay)
    Getting into GMEX on 2 days £20
    Signatures - £15 - £20
    Food and drink budget - £80 ish.

Estimated cost - £170 ish, Budget set aside £200 (I hope) Costume is on top of that though starting to look a bit doubtfull unless I come into some money soon. I'm hoping to convince me mum into an early birthday present.

2. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    must admit not too bothered about autographs

so it looks like about £50 for room & entrance and then the usual - food, booze, petrol.

hmm.. I check my funds (I'm supposed to be buying a crosstrainer this month so it depends how much that'll set me back)

3. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Spike...entrance is only a fiver each day (standard tickets dont forget!!!_ - there you go Spike - now even cheaper an a great incentive for a fun weekend! Get yer clobber on!

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/showmasters/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=1

I know its a cheap way, but you could always shae the room with Chris and I and save even more...? Hotels never know...

Chris - if no one else has booked the Ibis yet, then will go with the Premier Travel Lodge and hopefuly any other peole staying will go the same way so we can be together and have a blast... - it makes sense all ways round and saves on parking charges too - its only like £2 more expensive, but saves like £10+ on parking...

4. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ....we have now relocated our rooms to the Premier Travel Lodge Deansgate Lock - I couldnt sleep in a double with Lord O at the Ibis :eek:

There is only so far you can go to support your CR now...[face_blush]

Anyone else looking for accom I would suggest the same - a much better deal and the same distance.

Hope this helps.

5. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005

can't make it now [face_frustrated] goingdown to Nuneaton tomorrow to watch Nuneaton vs Boro in the FA Cup :D

I don't have the funds to do both :_| but going to a pokey little non-league ground, packed to the rafters was just too tempting to turn down + I get to see my best mate who lives in Peterborough [face_dancing]

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Thanks for the hotel info Edge. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet but I will book something next week.

7. darkinhere

darkinhere Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Well, I had booked at the IBIS, but I've swapped it to the travel inn now.
    You don't check the boards for a few days and everything changes... [face_shame_on_you]

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    And as special guests of honour, Phill (Jairen) and myself are making an appearence! [face_dancing]

The rooms all booked up, plans are made...All that's left are drinks to be drunk! [face_laugh]

9. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Sorry about that Rob, it was a problem that just emerged all of a sudden :(
    We should be fine with this new place tho :D

Be cool to meet you ;)

10. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Big J and the Happy Ninja, This will be a great meet indeed.

11. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Yes, you heard right, I will be there :D Looks like a really cool meet-up guys, I look forward to seeing the North getting its groove on!

12. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    You're in the PremierTravelInn right? The bar will be ours! [face_devil]

13. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Ain't that the truth! :D

14. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    So, come on you Northern lot, where are we meeting, what are we doing?

15. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Ok, I'd say that the Hotel is a good place to meet as its near the GMEX and will let those of us stayin check in.

16. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    However, you can't check in till after 2pm on the day of staying, so we'd lose the entire morning of doing anything. How about a lunctime get-together of some form?

17. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Man with noddle says tell reservations that you want an 'early check in'. They will put this in your reservation details as a 'request' and subsequently when you arrive at 09.00, the first room they get free and clean becomes...YOURS! You get preferences at hotels if you ask - if you dont then you get nowt!

Kick off is 11am hey? How about meeting up at sometime round then at the entrance as a group(I am certain that we cant be missed....).

Tim B - how are those flyers coming on - something to hand out to promote FF-UK?

Phill - anything that you have that we could use as FF-UK handouts? Aside from blowing my credit card at the '400 stalls', it would be good maybe to do some FF promo over the couple of days costumed as Jedi's do you think???? (no point in dressing up just to look nice - might as well maximise any exposure I guess...). Did you have anymore thoughts on badges for the FF people that we mentioned Phill?

The night time sounds like it will be a blast in the bar at the hotel - from the Showmasters board chat I have been in recently, there will be plenty HP fans staying there also so will be a good night!

Food is the big q - would be good to go get some food and have a meal together, before the booze meets the brain....

Suggestions you Manc people?

Phew - I really am not organising owt - all just suggestions and welcome to any further discussion, critisism or free food you want to pass my way?

Northern [:D] to all!

18. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    There are loads of eating places. For cheapness, the Waterhouse (a non-smoking Weatherspoons) is good but some walk. Other places in Castlefield but mega-expensive imho.

Nice Chinese on Oxford Road called Tai Wu - all you can eat buffet for around a tenner downstairs, dim sums at about a quid each upstairs.

19. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    And then there was me.! I'm staying at a friends place in Sale, its a 15min tram ride from the Gmex. So I'll meet you guys at the venue saturday a.m

20. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm still 50-50 at the mo. A few complications have meant a re-think, but I hope to make a decision soon....well, before the 11th anyway :p
    The re-think means that I may opt for coming up on the Friday and leaving Sunday, so I'll be there for all of Saturday if that happens, but my time is limited due to work commitments during the show but I'll be happy to say hi and attend a photo call ;)

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't go out and drink/eat in Manchester too much as I'm not really a city guy (Born and raised in the country me)

Wetherspoons are good for cheap beer and almost edible food so that would be an option, I would strongly recommend against any "trendy" bar unless your happy paying over £3 for a pint of crappy lager.

I know of a decent pub (Nags Head) with a quiet upstairs thats usually good for a game of pool. I don't know how busy they'll be on a Saturday afternoon though.

22. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I'm staying with a friend as well so most likely won't be able to meet at the hotel unless I can get away but as we are going to be going around as a group of Death Eaters on Saturday I doubt I will be able to get too far away from them lol

23. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ...cant wait to see how your costume a Deatheater...

Looks like Cleverlilminx outfit!
    [image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40806000/jpg/_40806406_deatheater_300.jpg]

24. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Currently having some problems with the robes but working on it

25. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Good luck! The Deatheaters are gonna rule at the GMEX!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.