Collectormania Manchester report and open discussion about future meets

Discussion in 'North' started by timbolton, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Collectormania Manchester (Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th February 2006) report and open discussion about future meets

To table or not to table
    We were given quite an opportunity at CM: Manchester thanks to the generosity of Paul Voren, a free table (due to Mugglenet.com cancelling their attendance sadly) and the chance to advertise our fan group to the influx of autograph seekers and merchandise shoppers. Personally, I think we did really well in this aspect, Jase (edgejedi88) has estimated that over 300 flyers advertising the group (both FF-UK Regional and North) were handed out to passers-by, and also at the end of the Prequel talk by two of our Jedi costumers - Jase and Chris (Lord Ogli , FF-UK: North CR). We even handed one out to Ray Park (Darth Maul), though I have a feeling he won?t become a regular poster though we have since contacted Ray since to send him the photos we took with him and invite him over to the boards?

The best way to determine if this advertising was successful would be to see if we have an influx of new posters on the boards (Regional and North), and to be honest this hasn?t happened yet ? though it is only a week after the event. But this begs the question ? if the key purpose of the table is to advertise the group and bring in more members, and then this doesn?t happen, is it wise to have a table? What else is the purpose of the table? Part of the answer to this is that, depending upon finances, the table is a good focal point for the group, whether or not the end result is more posters on the forums. The table allowed the group members access to getting talk tickets before the rest of the general public. It gave us a place to show a collective identity and gave us a venue to promote it to the general public. The FF-UK should expand, it should be promoted. None of us are here for profit, quite the opposite since we are here for friendship, to talk with likeminded people about the things we love. It?s about building strong links through our fandom.

Organising the table ? display
    The table as we had it was one that was quickly put together as we only had three days prior to the event to organise. It was a great effort by Phill (Jairen, RSA FFUK) and Jase within the time limit, since they provided the bulk of the assorted table display contents. In future, when we have more time to organise another table, we can work on what we already had.

Since FanForce represents members of all the Star Wars (and beyond) community, maybe we should reflect the various aspects of the FanForce and the Jedi Council Forums ?

* FF-UK identity ? we were fortunate to have Phill here for this big meet, since he brought with him a large FF-UK Regional banner that was placed on the wall behind the table. This is a real eye catcher and positively ?brands? the FF-UK in a professional manner. We also need to think about things like group labels and table markers with the FF-UK: North identity on it too. Identity T-Shirts, like what Jase made, are also a good idea for the non-costumed table people.

* Real-life friendship between fellow fans ? the boards are just the starting place for friendships, and the FFUK has now begun to leave the boards and meet for real. This aspect of FanForce is essential, and should be represented on the table ? via a photo album of previous meets? ?Memorabilia? from meets ? for example cinema tickets, etc ? like a collage of stuff? The key is to promote a sense of community, one that has been built through hard work and strong friendship.

* Icons of Fandom ? the FF-UK: North Yoda with flat cap was sheer genius (nod to Chris), it was a talking point and even got some people trying to buy it. The Force FX lightsabers (Chris and Jase) were the biggest draw though, we so many people come up to the table to ?have a go? with them, especially families with children. This was the opening point for conversations about the group when people would have looked and walked on by. If you have spare Force FX sabers, then having them on display on the
  2. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Very good Tim (and Jase) for puttin this together, Some good points and Ideas. Here are a few of mine to throw into the mix before the discussion kicks off:

Selling Items, Maybe practical, maybe not, But if we know of local artists/costume & prop makers who want to promote their Items even FFUK t-shirts, may be an Idea. Obviously It'll mean a larger commitment with the money taking etc, but we could put any profits into good causes and the like.

More costumers, as has been said, costumes are a must IMO but Phil mentioned and I agree that having non-Star Wars costumers may attract more interest.

Promotion of FFUK is the main goal however I I deffo agree that displaying some of our own collections is a good Idea and putting together a photo album etc.
  3. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks Chris ;) :cool: and good points.

Two things that became clear during the days there - one was that FanForce is not just about Star Wars anymore, so we should promote all the other areas that the Jedi Council has - and this includes costumers from other genres.

Secondly, we have to be careful on one aspect of promotion - potential new members age. Jedi Council forums are for people 13 and over, we can't accept members below that age unfortunately.

Additional information - Tables cost
    Next time we have a convention, we will have to pay for a table. I believe it is round the £120 mark, so we will have to pool resources on that. As far as I understand, that does mean however that the "table team" gets free entry and also the opportunity to get tickets for talks before the general public. I am not sure how many people maximum are allowed in any one "table team" however, we had six, with orange "vendor" bracelets on Sunday.
  4. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Tim wrote it! Not me!

I just glanced at it! :eek:

But its a great report and opens up some good questions about organisation for future events.

I hope that others will provide some response and comment too here. Its all about 'building' I guess to keep the site lively and growing, but also giving people the opportunity for social interaction too - we all have lives off the PC too! I know Phill has some great ideas up his sleeve from our chats over that weekend. ;)

ps. Glad my shirts were admired, they were admittedly quite cheap to produce, but again, it just enhances the standing of FF-UK I thought in the eyes of the public. I should be a sales manager. [face_thinking]
    Front
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/collectormania%20feb%202006/ffshirtfront.jpg]
    Back
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/collectormania%20feb%202006/FFshirtback.jpg]
  5. Parthjaegar Jedi Padawan

As a new sign up to fanforce North I thought I'd give you some feedback as to the why?
    I am probably one of your older posters.At forty-four I have been a fan of Starwars since the original release in this country back in the 70's.Hell, this was before merchandising meant anything other than a printed cardboard game on the back of a serial packet!
    It's sometimes difficult to try to describe to people why it had such an effect. Remember sci-fi,good sci-fi was rare,even something like "Logans Run" was a treat!The first time I was aware of SW was when my mother handed me the paper and there was this tiny but brilliant black and white picture of an X-wing.Remember -no internet,no film mags,no spoilers, just rumours and pictures of queues of people going around down the streets and around corners!Hence the phrase "blockbuster".
    To see it was almost a religious experience!I could never have imagined how brilliant it would appear.That star destroyer shot was just incredible!The whole film was literally out of this world,a thrill.AND it felt like it could have ALMOST been real.We could not stop talking about it.
    It is amazing how powerful that sensation became.To see something like that and not to have been disappointed, underwhelmed or pissed off because the hype was,for once,completely accurate.You could not see it the once and remember it all!And then it was gone and I had to wait for Empire,three long,long years later and that blew me away even further,because it was beautifully shot and written and I really didn't ever guess that superb Shakespearian twist.All that from a sequel!
    Yet that feeling has not ever gone,dulled a little by time and under the weight of newer things, but still happily smouldering away in there.You can never forget it.
    And generations of people have been similarly smitten,and they know exactly what you mean when you say "Starwars" and smile rather than admit to saying "that that film has had one of the biggest cultural influences in my life,and my imagination was forever changed by what I saw that day".It is that strong.
    So when I went to G-mex it was an agreeable surprise to chat to you at the stand.I watched the Dvd and laughed because that was exactly what I did a year ago when I got a lightsabre!!
    When I was sixteen we used to swing lengths of plastic drain pipe at eachother and believe the force was with us!They went "whoooom " when you swung them hard enough but hurt like hell if they clipped you.
    So to get my mits on a lightsabre that lights up and sounds exactly like the thing I most wanted ever in the fevered dreams of a sixteen year old was a rare joy to describe!To meet people who felt the same,who were evenly more impressively dressed as jedi was even more fun,a kind of wish fullfilment!And it was great to meet THE PEOPLE,it kind of lets you know you are not the only one who feels that way about Starwars,that three decades later you can still enjoy it like you did when you were sixteen!!!
    There,I've rambled enough.In answer to your questions I think the more authentic costumes you get the better,it really drew the eye,and I think by grabbing the opportunity as you did on such short notice is a credit to you.You all came across very well,and as such encouraged me to join up and be here and share my thoughts!Best wishes- Parth

6. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    thanks for that Parth - glad to know I am now not the oldest of the bunch anymore (38 this year[face_worried]).

I know how you feel exactly!!!

There's also another thread that you would enjoy for us 'oldies' here too
  7. Jedi_padawan_leigh Force Ghost

star 4
    Some very good points made there guys :)

I agree about the costuming, that some needs to be non star wars. Veritys DOOP outfit is a brilliant example (and I'm researching into a CSI one now) A lot of the people who spoke to me while on the table kept saying "Is it just a star wars fan club?" and I think We need to emphahsise that a little more I think
  8. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Parth, That post made the expence of getting a costume and gettin to the GMEX worth it. That was our aim and I for one enjoyed it more than almost anything else I can remember.
  9. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    Parth - you remember Lord Ogli dont you?
    [image=http://members.fortunecity.com/tylorhan/faces4/peter_sallis.jpg]

[face_laugh]
  10. Parthjaegar Jedi Padawan

I kind of remember a number of people dressed as Jedi,but alot of mind control must have been going on that day because I'm a little fuzzy about who (was) is who? Those jedi mind tricks eh!
  11. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    to jog yer memory...from the boards here...

L-R = AmberStarlight, Jedi Padawan Leigh, Lord Ogli (hat:eek:), TimB, Jairen (tall guy!), Happy Ninja and far right...me....the handsome one of course[face_blush]
    [image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/edgejedi88/collectormania%20feb%202006/DSCN1829.jpg]
  12. jedi_master_booth Jedi Master

star 3
    Some good points being made i am not saying out as ill just end up putting my foot init again !

Im just doing my job and waiting to be told what to do by our leader ogil .
  13. Parthjaegar Jedi Padawan

Thanks for the photo guide.Christ, it makes me feel old to see all those young smiling jedi faces!!!I'm only just getting used to this darn new internet thingmy jig have just gone broadband after resisting for years!!!
    Oh and thanks for the guide to the other oldies thread,most enjoyable!!!
  14. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] Parth - we just put more 'space' in the top of the picture to make it look like we are all small and young!

Plus, this 'microdermabrasion' thingy kit of me girlfriends obviously works well [face_blush]

Things us blokes do to remain forever Jedi young...
  15. Parthjaegar Jedi Padawan

Ah yes,it must be a bi-product of using the force!!!All the jedi must be using that lightside anti-wrinkle cream (the vacuum of space really roughens my skin, after a day sent patching hull breaches I use a Padawanwax moisteriser because Master Yoda says I'm worth it!!!"
    Whilst the darksiders aren't really too bothered about looking peachy,terror and complete domination being the main style pointers ruling their skin-care regiems.Though I do hear they try to use "Sithly the Best" deodorants to try and disguise the stench of fear and corruption you get in their presence(stops them being invited to parties,speed-dating etc)
  16. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ...before, without the special gurlie moisturising cream

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/light_sabe_r/sidious.jpg]

...and after...wowo - I really am worth it!
    [image=http://www.cnn.com/EVENTS/1997/star.wars.anniversary/where.are.they/princess.leia.lg.jpg]

oh...dont look at me!!!! I am not really beautiful! (TTBB - that programme cracks me up![face_laugh] )
    [image=http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/imagedump/12176.jpg]
  17. Parthjaegar Jedi Padawan

How do you do these tricks with the photos!!!Very good!!!!!

I hear Darth Sidious brought out his own brand of after-shaves called "Empirers -going to the darkside has never smelt better!"

Whilst the Jedi Council countered with Master Skin.The new lightside skincare range-You can feel it.Others can see it.Just don't use it on the weak minded(too much).

Its all in the marketing(too many darkside accounts to count!!!)
  18. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ...to post a picture is like 'linking' a picture from another internet site to this one - they call it 'hyperlinking' apparently (I am no techno dude though myself!!)

I tend to use Google image search to find a suitable image
    http://www.google.co.uk/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&ie=UTF-8&q=

...then when I find the image I want to use, I click on it and it shows me the image only from the page it appears on - thats the 'URL link' to the image itself (but not the whole page that the image is on - just the image itself), I just copy the URL...

...then when you post a reply, and the 'Format' and 'Message' boxes appear for you to type your message in...click on the button in the 'Format' section called 'Image', then simply paste the link to your image in the box that pops up... and it will be entered into your message! To check it has picked it up before posting, simply click on 'preview', before you 'post reply'.

Hope this helps! It took me ages to figure it out! Also, I use Photobucket to upload and store my pics, so I can use the same principle with that for posting my picture images here. [face_dancing]

have a go - have fun! hope my basic tips help - sorry to sound so simple!
  19. Parthjaegar Jedi Padawan

It sounds horribly technical but thanks for the advice!I shall give it a try(there is no try etc etc).
    Just out of interest if you like your comedy "Spaced" or Bill Baileyian try catching "Chain Reaction" Radio 4 wednedays 6.30pm.Comedians interview eachother and its got Bill and Simon Pegg coming up in the next few weeks,both huge SW fans!!!Bound to be a laugh though I have to say I'm enjoying the thread!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.