main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Collector's TAP CAFE XV everyone is welcome here !!!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by CrazyMike, Sep 28, 2007.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Happy Easter all! Hope your move goes OK, PLJ!

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    It's going to be a long process, our new neighbors are all confused as to why we haven't moved in yet. Helloooo we work, I'm gimpy, have stuff to do at the house first, lots of crap to move.

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Waiting to see if THIS is an April Fool's joke or not.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Given the comments, I'd say April Fools.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I saw it before anyone had posted comments, it reeked of April Fools Day. I hate this day, my news feeds get cluttered w/ utter crap.

6. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Not sure if your post was an April's Fool related one but congrats on the house PLJ:) I need to make a trip over to Ikea to get 2 more cabinets that I hav been meaning to buy since 2011. I should find some pictures of when I moved. I spent 1 year packing. It would have been insane but I hired movers, They sent 4 guys, a semi, and a smaller truck and I filled both trucks lol and that was no joke nor was my $1700 moving bill :)

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I hate moving. I've done 2 across country moves - I moved from CA -> Mass, twice in Mass and now onto my 3rd in AZ. Each time we move we get rid of a ton of stuff but that never seems to help much. We spent a small fortune on our last x-country moving trip. We had 2 giant moving vans that we hired plus a small trailer behind my sister's SUV for hauling stuff (that was fun, her SUV's cooling system exploded in the middle of the country - thankfully the small town it died in had a service center and was able to help get us limping back on our way.)

For this go around, we now have the added joy that we received the entire contents of my mother's estate. Thankfully a lot of that is in our massive 2 car sized storage unit that we rent (along w/ a big chunk of my collection that's still out there.) We don't have a garage at our new house because it was converted into a room, so we'll have to purge again before the move...a hell of a lot that's out in our garage will need to go.

A lot of "stuff' this go around we'll be able to just haul out and take over to the new house since it's not that far away. Then for things like boxes of books and all of the furniture we'll hire movers. Plus side, we bought this house w/ our mom's estate money, we're 100% debt free - no mortgage, no car payments, no nada. We can pay ourselves rent for now on and actually save money once we're fully moved. We were able to buy when the market is still low and will be able to afford any and all improvements that are needed along the way (which will be plenty since our house was built in 1959.)

I didn't pick up the stuff at IKEA yesterday, only bought a couple of lamps for my office and a few odds and ends things. Figure that I'll pick up the glass doors after we move. I still have a whole craft room that I need to get tables and furniture for also. I've got a lot to do between now and hopefully our final move out date of May 1st.

Next winter mission 2 will be underway and that's to go every weekend to our storage unit and work on clearing it out. I'm going to purge all but a small portion of my Xmas stuff and we have all of my Mom's estate stuff to sort though.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    At least you didn't put your stuff on a cargo ship and have the worry of it sinking... (as I did when I moved from the US to the UK)..

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yikes! Yeah that would send me into 10 levels of high panic!

10. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013

Little late to the party on this one I know, but that article almost killed me! I've got a broken foot, so I've not been at work or college which has made keeping track of the days an absolute nightmare at times - so when I stumbled across it, half medicated and unaware it was April 1st, I almost had a heart attack with excitement.

I hate April Fools :(

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I really hate April Fools Day and the web, you know? It's fun to punk friends when you're 5, but posting "news" stories only to go "ha-ha so not real" just makes being on the internet really annoying.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's a good thing I came down with some sort of ailment and spent Monday in bed.

Though, in between coughing and wheezing, I worked on D'harhan. He now has a tail! It had five points of articulation. Three of those joints broke, and after even more repairs, I'm tempted to rip the whole thing off and redo it with a different modeling compound.

Darth Venator likes this.
  13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well about 70% of my shrine that's currently on display is dismantled and 1/2 of that is over at the new house now. Just need to keep plugging at packing. Currently everything is going in my closet. I need to get glass doors for all of my Billy's before I can start putting everything back out again to protect everything form my puppy. Went to our storage unit today, I stared longingly at my POTF Falcon box that's all of the way against the farthest wall that I have no chance of accessing at this time. The rest of my shrine is buried behind several layers of boxes. We are going to have a bunch of furniture that was my Mom's taken out of there so maybe I'll be able to fight my way to my other boxes...although likely that won't be anytime soon, not w/ Arizona's summer rearing its head early now.

Blehhhhhh I hate moving. Here's a flavor of the color of my office - I'm getting a new light/fan installed that's metallic.

I took these at night w/ a flash - the color is deceptive, the room is actually a more dark blue/green/teal color than the royal blue that it looks here.

[​IMG]

Windows are going to be blocked out w/ blackout curtains since I have full western exposure sun that pours into them at sunset.

[​IMG]

Color in this pic around where the flash is centered is more accurate w/ the overall color of the room.

[​IMG]

I'd prefer folding doors on the closet, but the painters went through the trouble to freshly paint them so they're staying as-is for now. Besides heavier doors will keep puppy out of the closet which is where my trash can(s) will be stored.

[​IMG]

J_Girl and TrakNar like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I like the blue. My living room is a similar color - maybe a bit darker.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I saw the color in a magazine and fell in love with it. I've always wanted my own Star Wars room that was really dedicated to being all for my fav GFFA. I like the color because as I mentioned it's actually got a green hue to it so it's not just blue. I also finally get to show my split personality and my craft room will be filled w/ Barbies & Robert Tonner dolls - 1 room for my major geek obsession, the other 100% girly, although likely some of my other random sci-fi stuff (Superman, X-Files, Indy) will go in the craft room too.

About 90% of my shrine is packed up and we're going to be moving most of it to the house today. I still have some assorted breakables that I need to wrap up. We unearthed some of my stuff that was buried out in the garage. I'm hoping that we'll unearth my box that has all of my Queen Amidala dolls and my Sideshow 12" figures today also. That's irritated me to no end that they've been buried! Speaking of which time to get something to eat and start packing again. Bleh!

16. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Very nice colour :) I might look at that colour for my second SW room which I need to set up at some point.

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Second room??? Well it's about time, you definitely need 2. Yeah the color isn't that cobalt color though. For some reason when the flash hit it the light blasted all of the green out of the wall. It's actually a more rich peacock teal. If you goto Target, they've got some Sterilite clear tubs that are a teal color - they disappear into my walls, they're a perfect match in tone ;)

Does anyone know for the Star Wars weekend at Disney - is that ONLY at Disney World or will Disneyland be getting some of the exclusive goodies also? My sister's going next weekend and I REALLY want that Salacious Crumb.

18. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I want that SALACIOUS B. CRUMB figure too but I might have to resort to EBay to get it.

Yes I have a second room that I can use for Star Wars. My plan is to put up all my posters in it and some carded figures when I find the time to set it up.

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Looks like I'll have to resort to ebay also - my sister isn't going because we needed more time to move. Oh well. I'll be sure to leave room in the shrine for him.

Unearthed a boatload of my shrine that had been buried in the garage today. Next weekend we do the final big move w/ all of the furniture. So once I get my bedroom settled and livable I can start unboxing the shrine and figuring out where my posters will go and which ones I'll display. I have a couple I want framed so I need to budget for that in June. I also need to pick up glass doors for all of my Billy bookcases. I also need to pick up Billys w/ doors for my craft room as well. Thank god I won't be paying rent anymore :p

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm almost afraid to find out the price of that figure. I want it, too. He would look great in my living room, where the majority of my display items are.

Since my apartment is all of three rooms, I don't quite yet have a shrine. Building one, but it's rather small. About the only thing that even remotely denotes a shrine would be the abundance of Zuckuss stuff. And even that's interspersed with random items. A B-wing here, a Greedo bobble-head there, a Mewtwo with a lightsaber here, an incense burner, a candle, and my insect collection...

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Oh he's a great deal - he's only $34.99 - that's a GREAT price for him. I don't know how big he is though, I fear he's on the large side which means shipping will be expensive. I will snatch one up though at some point after I move - I just think he looks great!

TrakNar - you're doing well - don't worry it takes a hell of a lot of time to build up a shrine like either myself or Mike has. With you being mostly a focused collector your overall collection might not end up that big, but remember it's the quality and love put into gathering the items - not the size that matters :)

I'm enjoying going through my boxes that have been in storage forever - found a Biggs Tatooine figure that I had bought that I forgot that I had.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Went to see the new Star Trek film in 3D earlier today - highly recommended if you're a ST fan! I liked it a lot!

23. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    It does look real good...which makes me think the SW movie will be fantastic!!!!

Good to see England won their own Sevens Tournament in the World series in the weekend....Oh wait the All Black Sevens team won to retain their World Series title, better luck next time England haha

[​IMG]

24. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I was happy to hear about England Les :) Star Trek was amazing. I am looking forward to what JJ does with EP VII in 2015 :)

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well I think most everything that will come for my shrine has made it to the house. Looks like I won't be getting more bookcases for the room. Technically I probably could upgrade two shorties to make them taller but they're OK as-is for now.

Spent the last 2 evenings digging my way out of the boxes that were piled everywhere in my office. Goal is not only to get it set up but I need my computer! My bedroom moves over tomorrow so I'll be working on that tomorrow night.

Other than piles of reading books that I need to shove into bookcases, I got through most of the boxes this evening. This might sound like a victory - except I've got my entire closet stuffed w/ all of the items I had put into their boxes. Once I clear out the random crap the fun part begins of deciding what to display :)