Collector's TAP CAFE XV everyone is welcome here !!!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by CrazyMike, Sep 28, 2007.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    I've heard that as well (about blue light), though thankfully I'm apparently immune. I think anything short of looking point-blank at a nuclear blast wouldn't affect me when I'm tired. Same with caffeine and eating. I typically eat and drink a Pepsi just before bed and I sleep like a baby %99 of the time. For me it's more about trying to quiet the chatter in my mind. My brain can sometimes be that one guy at a party who's still up dancing long after everyone else has passed out. Reading before bed helps that.
    Last edited by Juke Skywalker, Dec 26, 2013
  2. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Pretty much we didn't exchange gifts at all this year since my sister and I went on a cruise instead. My lump of coal was that Spirit airline decided A) to send my suitcase full of clothes to Fort Lauderdale instead of Tampa. B) Delay our layover flight in Dallas so long that by the time we got to Tampa, we had to fly to the cruise ship so it wouldn't leave us aka I had to leave w/ only my secondary suitcase, my clothes - nowhere to be found.

Nothing says "Happy Holidays" like having only the clothes on your back, 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pr of sweatpants, and a pair of shorts to go on a week long vacation with :( Thankfully my sister and I are close enough in size I was able to share some of her clothes, but that is something I NEVER want to repeat again. Next time I travel, I'm going to have pairs of underwear hiding everywhere, there is nothing worse than not being able to have comfy undies to wear when you're in the tropics.

Suitcase is back in hand it was waiting at the airport for me when we got back. The only *bonus* is that all of my clothes are clean and I don't have to do laundry. GRRR! Spirit will be reimbursing me for all of the t-shirts I had to buy because I had no choice in the matter. Never, NEVER fly them!
    Last edited by PadmeLeiaJaina, Dec 30, 2013
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Bummer. I hope you at least had some fun on the cruise..
  4. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah the cruise was fun and nice. I was just all out of sorts all week long as a result.
  5. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Boy, talk about getting off on the wrong foot. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your self in spite of the rough start.

I've never heard of Spirit, but I'll make sure to avoid them when I go to Mexico (and possibly Georgia) on my vacation(s) next year.
  6. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    They're slowly coming around the US. They're "cheaper" than other airlines. I say that because their fares are lower but they hit you w/ tons of nasty baggage fees. They only allow 40lbs a bag (all other airlines allow 50lbs for coach passengers - first class you're usually allowed 75lbs - Southwest bags are free) and Spirit charges like $50 a bag. Specialty bags (like golf clubs) are $100. You can only take one small carry on with you. If you have a bigger carry on piece they charge you for it. The sad thing was both of the flights themselves were smooth and comfortable, but the idiots who run the airline & plane schedules really enjoy screwing everything up. The pilots on both of our flights didn't look very thrilled at the delays (oh yeah we were delayed leaving Phoenix also because the flight crew went off to either go look for food or go on a 45 minute smoke break.)

Spirit did a big nasty bait and switch on us in Dallas. We arrived at like 6:45 am and were supposed to be off of the ground at 8:20 which would've gotten us with plenty of time in Tampa. We went to breakfast came back and it said 2 hour delay. My sister asked what the hell? The lady behind the counter said "Oh it'll leave at 11 there's a mechanical issue that they're fixing." OK, so 11AM take off means we don't get into Tampa until 2-2:30 - all passengers are supposed to be on the cruise ship at 2. PANIC. My sister called to the cruise line gave them an eta of 3:30 allowing time to get bags, etc. They were nice and noted that our flight was delayed. More people started complaining. Suddenly they changed the departure time to 9:30 - then 10:20 - and lo and behold, we started boarding around 11ish, when they initially wanted to leave in the first place. Bait and switch.

We got to the airport, our bags were the last off and my big suitcase wasn't there. We ran in filed a claim and had to leave. Plus side, our crazy Russian cab driver got us from the airport to the dock in 8 minutes - a drive that usually takes 15-30 minutes :p My sister and I were clinging on for dear life in the backseat :p Thankfully the cruise line was waiting for us, everyone was ushering us in and we made it on like 20 minutes before departure time. Thank god we had a huge suite. My poor sister really had to deal w/ me being grumpy all week, which was mostly because she and I wear very different kinds of underwear and I was most uncomfortable in hers for most of the trip :(

I've never had a bag get lost like that and not had my clothes for a whole trip, it was horrible. We're already planning massive cautionary measures for our 2 week trip to Europe in the fall - extra clothes in carry on - both of my sister's and my suitcases will get one side each our clothes and essentials. That way if one bag gets lost, we'll have like 3 days worth of clothes and will just wash them on the ship. Blehhhh!

We were very happy to fly home on US Air. We went standby - didn't get on the plane but our 3 bags were waiting for us right when we got off of the plane when we got home.
    Last edited by PadmeLeiaJaina, Dec 30, 2013
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    They sounds like RyanAir over here - dirt cheap tickets but then they charge for everything. One rumor went around awhile back that they were going to install pay toilets on the planes..(I think it was a joke at the time but I wouldn't put it past them).
  8. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh airlines in general have been mulling that idea around. Considering they've made them smaller than a tin can as is so they can keep shoving more and more seats on their planes, the airlines had to relent on that one.

It's bad enough that they charge for snacks. Oh yeah, and Spirit charges for ALL drinks.
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    RyanAir charges if you want a reserved seat as well.
  10. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Blehh. I think Spirit does that also. Needless to say, we're NEVER flying them again. And my sister is a travel agent, every one of her clients will be warned against ever using them. And she speaks to hundreds of people a week. They picked the WRONG people to piss off.
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Yeah, I'd have to be in dire straits to use RyanAir.
  12. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    * - Note to self: "Start...bargain...airline..." :p.
  13. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I use Travelocity for everything, so I don't deal with bargain airlines too often. Those cheaper airlines don't fly out of Harrisburg, anyway. I'd have to go to Baltimore or Dulles to use them, and that's just too far out of the way, unless I take a crop duster out of Lancaster. In the end, it's cheaper for me to stick to United.
  14. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Happy Easter! Hope it's a good one for all of you!

Edit - hope your weather is better than mine. It's getting all dark here and rain is getting heavy.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Apr 20, 2014
  15. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Happy Easter everyone! Sorry the weather isn't better, LAJ. The Spring here has been typical Ohio; We got almost an inch of snow on the 15th, and today it's supposed to be sunny and in the mid 70s [face_dunno] . People I know have had to switch back and forth between their heat and their A/C.
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Oh it got nasty after I posted that. It was so dark I couldn't see the laptop keyboard (even with the light from the TV). Then we had a few claps of thunder and some lightning and it poured down. It's a lot better now - just some light rain.
    I've had my Easter lunch (a couple of lamb chops, some white & wild rice, and asparagus all washed down with a glass of red wine). It was delicious. Now I can loaf and read the Sunday papers..
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Apr 20, 2014
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  17. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Sunny and warm here. We're heading into the 90's this week. *Sigh. I really don't want to use the AC this early in the season, it's already been on for the past couple of weeks.

I fear we're going to have a scorcher of a summer and me w/o a pool :(
  18. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    It poured all afternoon here yesterday. Today is nice so far - hazy sun and warm. It's a holiday (Easter Monday) here and my lawn chair beckons!
  19. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    @PadmeLeiaJaina Pheeew, I hate turning on my A/C before July. I can't imagine running it in April. I have gas heat, so April-June is a nice break where my gas bill goes way down and my electricity bill stays modest.

Glad it cleared up for you, @LAJ_FETT. This is day #2 of my vacation. Supposed to be sunny and upper 70s. Going hiking with a friend here in a bit. I need to get some sun. I'm currently the color of vanilla ice cream.
  20. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I think I'm more along the shade of egg nog.

This weekend wasn't too bad and I visited with my grandmother briefly. It's nice to be able to turn off the heat and open the windows. Should give me a nice break on my gas bill as well.
  21. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Eh I'm in AZ - our blissful months are Jan-March. April thinks bounce around w/ flirting w/ heat, by May we start to dip into high 90's and low 100's - June-August anything under 105 feels downright cool. Sept-Oct go into lower 100's-high 90's...end of Oct things usually start to cool down. Nov-Jan are when we'll have our few weeks of cool weather.

I lived back East for 10 years so I just can't bring myself to call 40 degrees cold.
  22. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    @TrakNar [face_laugh] I'd take that right now. Two hours out in the sun today and I still look like 6'1 and 180 lbs of marshmallow. I tried taking a picture of my leg to post on Facebook (long story) and when I looked at it there was nothing there. I'd taken it while standing against a white interior wall and the leg blended in. I'm like The Predator!

@PadmeLeiaJaina Yeouch. I guess the bright side of that is you don't have to deal with the high humidity we have here in the mid-west. Come July, temps are steadily in the upper 80s+ with humidity to match. Humidity is like nature's Kryptonite.
  23. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Here in Gettysburg, the weather is similar, with similar swampy humidity. The humidity is actually what gave the North and edge, as the South (surprisingly) didn't expect it. Wearing wool uniforms didn't help, so soldiers were walking saunas.
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  24. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    @TrakNar bringing 'da knowledge! I'm a bit of a history buff and I'd never heard that before. Nice. Often it's the tug on the smallest thread that unravels the garment, no pun intended.
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Juke - I lived in stifling humidity when I lived in Mass - that along w/ swarms of mosquitoes, I was ready to get back to weather that I felt more familiar with. I grew up in Nor. CA which can actually be pretty cold, but is nice most of the time. Family lived in Central CA which was an oven in the summer. Give me blistering regular heat over humidity any day. Of course when it's 115 out, it might be a dry heat, but it does feel like the inside of your oven.

I'm pale, pale, pale also. Thank god I have a Caribbean cruise coming up - gotta get me some color on my pasty legs.

Trak - I really want to visit Gettysburg some day...thanks to your post though, I think I'll plan for Spring or Fall though :p
    Last edited by PadmeLeiaJaina, Apr 22, 2014
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT