Arena College Baseball: Opening Day 2012!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I don't envy Oregon State that matchup. That's gonna be tough - Vandy's got two great starting pitchers in Sonny Gray and Grayson Garvin and a bunch of good hitters as well. On paper, they look like the best of the top three SEC teams, though the seeding doesn't show it.

rech, I wasn't nearly that confident about facing Clemson in the supers. South Carolina definitely has its weaknesses this year, though the pitching is definitely deeper than last year. Hitting can be an issue at times, though.
  2. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 9
    I'm glad they made it this far. If they lose, I'll be disappointed, but it's not as if they can't build off of this for next year. Got some good young players getting quality playing time who should be interesting to watch next season.
  3. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Gamecocks take game 1 against UConn tonight, 5-1 behind the awesome arm of Michael Roth, who lowered his ERA to a phenomenal 1.02. That's four straight games for Roth without an earned run (though a few unearned runs allowed in that span). South Carolina also improves to an incredible 5-0 against first round draft picks at Carolina stadium (Alex Meyer, Sonny Gray, and Matt Barnes this year, Drew Pomeranz last year, Mike Minor in 2009). Though Pomeranz actually got a no decision, USC still won; the other four all took the loss.

Barnes actually struck out the side in the first inning, came off the mound yelling "all ****ing day" at the fans... and then proceeded to give up 5 runs and not get out of the fifth.

Mississippi State with a walk off 2 run shot to force game 3 against Florida; Texas also forced game 3 against Arizona State. North Carolina's punched their ticket to Omaha and Vandy looks like they're about to join them, up 9-3 in the eighth right now. FSU lost today, though, going to have a tough time coming back against Texas A&M.
  4. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    FSU def Texas A&M 23-9. Jimbo must have been in the dugout
  5. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Gamecocks headed back to Omaha! 8-2 win over UConn tonight that was much closer than the final score appeared. First baseman Christian Walker, the team leader in HRs who hadn't hit one out since late April, finally got back on the power track with a homer in the eighth to break a 2-2 tie... very reminiscent of last year, when he hit a go-ahead home run in the eighth inning of game 2 of the supers. Matt Price came in for the bottom half of that inning for a two inning save... but the Gamecocks put 5 more runs on the board in the top of the ninth to make it a 8-2 final margin.

FSU hosted what looked like a football game (score wise), winning 23-9 against Texas A&M to force game 3 tomorrow. Irvine actually came back late against UVA to force game 3 there, but those are the only two games set to go tomorrow, as the other 6 super regionals have been decided, and the top 7 seeds are all still alive (though 2 still in action in the supers, UVA and FSU). Omaha's going to be quite interesting :)
  6. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    jesus, Virginia suffers the most insane bad luck I have seen in a long while.
  7. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, congrats to SCAR on their second straight title. I was pulling for Florida since my cousin is starting there in the fall...

Can't believe how badly Virginia played in the CWS, overall. Despite some great pitching they just had NO offense.
  8. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, so R-J and I have been slacking on this thread. In his defense, at least he has the excuse of moving right now. I don't really have any. :p

But all that aside...
    CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS, BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!
  9. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Now you guys get to experience how awesome it is when your team wins back-to-back titles. :D

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]
  10. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, moving has really killed my available time, not to mention having internet issues on top of that. It made watching the last two games - especially last night - very difficult, since I don't have cable here yet and had to try espn3.com, which was spotty at best. But enough about that.

What a series. What a postseason. 10-0 this year in the NCAA playoffs, 16 consecutive NCAA tournament victories, 11 consecutive CWS victories - both of which are NCAA records. Team ERA of 0.88 in the CWS... I think that says enough right there.

I'll have a much longer post later, once I have time.
  11. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Congrats to the Gamecocks!
  12. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Gamecocks got an unexpected bonus last night when Matt Price, already the best closer in school history, decided to return to school for another season rather than sign with the Diamondbacks. Word is that he's probably going to move to the starting rotation, which probably means that Forrest Koumas will become the top candidate for closer (either Koumas or Colby Holmes would have to come out of the rotation to make room for Price, and Koumas' stuff is much better suited for a closer's role than Holmes').

And while we did lose Jackie Bradley Jr to the pros as expected, we still have Evan Marzilli, Adam Matthews, and Jake Williams all returning in the outfield, plus incoming freshman Tanner English, a 13th round pick who decided to come to school. So the pitching and outfield are pretty much set going into next season.

Infield, though... that's gonna be interesting. Wingo (2B), Mooney (SS), and Morales (3B) are all gone, as are both catchers in Brady Thomas and Robert Beary. Highly touted freshman catcher Grayson Greiner may get a chance to start from day 1, though I would guess that Dante Rosenberg could factor in as well, if he's healthy. The rest of the infield is still up in the air, though - newcomers TJ Costen and Joey Pankake could factor in, possibly with sophomore Jake Watson and a few others. Definitely up for grabs, though.
  13. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Time for a new season! South Carolina about to get the season underway in about 15 minutes... I just wish I was actually in Columbia so I could be at the game (not surprisingly, it's sold out)
  14. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    South Carolina pitching so far this season: 45 IP, 15 hits, 5 ER, 1.00 ERA, .101 OBA, 59 K. Pretty darn impressive.

Hitting could be an issue this season, though some of the newcomers look pretty good - Grayson Greiner behind the plate, JuCo transfer LB Dantzler at third, and Tanner English in left - and the others are doing ok, too, but this is most definitely a pitching-focused team.