main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NCAA Baseball/Softball

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 10, 2007.

1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Rice won in a 15-10 game. That game was the lowest quality of baseball I have seen in a long while

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Speaking of low quality, the umpiring so far in the Sun Devils-Anteaters game has been truly abysmal. The score so far is 2-1 in blown calls, with UC-I on top (calls that have favored each team, that is).

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What kind of bad calls? Balls/strikes, baserunner safe or out..?

Whatever kind, you would think they could get quality umpires for the CWS.

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Balk that wasn't, baserunner safe that wasn't and then baserunner safe that was clearly safe (the worst of the three calls) who was called out. Eater, Devil, Eater in terms of who it favored.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Classic battle going on between UC-I and ASU right now. Going into extra innings, tied at 7-7. Comebacks on both sides.

6. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Sportscenter really made a big deal out of Irvine this morning and didn't mention UNC's win. I think Rice will take the title from here

7. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    funny how this thread has been ignored since the CWS started

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, ASU didn't so so great in the CWS, but two former Sun Devils are making their way up in the big leagues: Travis Buck and Dustin Pedroia.

9. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson's got Daniel Moskos/Pirates and Taylor Harbin/D'Backs plus more

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Clemson's biggest name in the majors is Khalil Greene, SS, Padres. Rather surprised you didn't mention him. Or Kris Benson, SP, wherever the heck he is now (Baltimore? I think thats the last I heard)

USC had 2 for the last few years - Adam Everett, SS, Astros (DL right now) and Brian Roberts, 2B, Orioles. But there are now 5 total Gamecocks in the majors, as two former USC outfielders that are now relievers for the Cincinnati Reds (Jon Coutlangus and Marcus McBeth). Infielder Kevin Melillo just got called up a few days ago for the Oakland A's. Another player, a reliever (one who actually pitched at USC this time) was called up recently but I think is back in the minors - probably just replacing someone that was injured, though I'm not sure.

11. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I was talking about this year's draft class.

Today Jeff Baker out of Clemson broke up McGowen's no-hitter in the 9th inning

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Congrats to the OSU Beavers, repeat champions!

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    For myself, rech, and anyone else who happens to like college baseball, I'm unlocking and upping this since the new season will be starting fairly soon.

USC has a new stadium opening this year, which should be missed except that a lot of fans (myself included, though I won't be able to go to any games, most likely) will miss Sarge Frye Field, the great old stadium. I wish they'd at least kept the name :(

Hopefully I will be able to make some FSU games, since the team here is usually pretty good too. Don't know the team here well at all, though.

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    University of Oregon will be fielding a team this year.

15. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson has opened the season with 8-3 and 4-0 wins over Charlotte

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    South Carolina opened up with a 13-0 win over Duquesne today.

USC-Clemson in only a week? Wow, early this year. :eek:

17. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson vs USC tommorrow and Sunday. I think its way too early in the season. I'm not in baseball mode at all and the teams have barely gelled.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree, too early.

I know at least one of my friends is going to the game Sunday (the one in Columbia)... probably more, just I haven't talked to them.

This series should be in a couple weeks or so :p

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, Carolina won 3-1 at Clemson on Saturday, but the game this afternoon in Columbia was cancelled. rech, since you're actually in the state and I have to rely on what I see online, I'm assuming they do mean cancelled, and that it will not be made up?

There's still the two mid-week games in April, at least. Though I'll take the victory now, too :)

EDIT: after talking to a friend, it sounds like they are going to make the game up, but haven't scheduled a date for it yet :)

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I got to go to the Carolina game tonight, a 6-5 win over PC. Actually a very exciting game, and one that came right down to the end, as PC had the tying runner on third in the top of the 9th. USC's definitely not as good this year as they have been in the past, but still a pretty solid team, it looks like.

21. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson took 1 of 3 vs #2 UNC this past weekend. Beat Michigan State 15-2 today.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm probably going to go to SC's game tomorrow, but don't know for sure.

SC's new stadium is really nice - not a bad seat in the house, and the field is easily visible even from most of the concourse. My friend and I were in the second row yesterday - practically field level.

23. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I went to the game last night--impressive 13-3 win over ODU (or at least that was the score when we left in the 7th inning :p).

Yeah, the new stadium is pretty sweet. My only gripe is with the student section--which consists of only a grassy knoll (no seats)--and the knoll itself is an awkward slope to sit on. That got uncomfortable after so many innings.
    [face_plain]

(Great view of the game, though.)

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That's officially the student section? o_O Odd. I have several friends who are still students, and thats definitely not where they were sitting Monday night, so I didn't realize such. I'll talk to them tonight, if I do end up going.

25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Well, I went with my friend, who's a student, and the e-ticket she got specified the Bi-Lo Berm as the seating area.

Later, someone told me that those bleachers far out above left field is another student section.

I'm not completely sure either way myself. :p