main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NCAA Baseball/Softball

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 10, 2007.

1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    [face_praying] Im just pulling against LSU.

My relatives are unbearable

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    LSU's looking good so far :)

Fullerton, on the other hand... not so much.

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Anyone check out the Arkansas/Virginia game last night? Oy. I got tired right before the twelfth and went to bed. Virginia wound up losing that one! LOL. I couldn't believe it this morning! Ha! The Cavs handed that game over, and it was pretty hilarious in the end. I was cheering for them, but WTH can you do when you're unable to get through an inning without making a ton of mistakes? :p

4. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Texas vs LSU for the national title. Two titans of College Baseball for the title.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Should be an exciting Championship series :)

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    If only because of the current colors at The Arena, I feel like LSU is going to win. It's destiny. :p

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  8. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I do not feel ashamed of my beautiful Carolina colors even though Carolina totally sucked it up in that last loss. I watched every agonizing moment, too. Carolina baseball... out this year with a goof here and a shrug there. Bah!

Looking forward to the game tonight, though! I've rather enjoyed the CWS yet again. And I'm watching baseball... aren't you guys so proud? :p

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Definitely :) You should watch more :D

10. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    And I am! :D Anyone watching this game? Holy carps... Texas just managed three solo HRs in the same inning!

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Bah. [face_frustrated]

Coleman needs to settle down.

12. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    All tied up at the bottom of the sixth! Sweet stuff so far!

I think it's funny that they're talking about the heat being such a factor. Yes, I understand it's blazin', but shouldn't teams from LSU and Texas be sorta used to these kind of conditions by this point? I'm not sure where the weather in Louisiana or Texas became so tolerant comparatively. :p

Pre-Post: Bah! Texas just nailed another HR. [face_plain]

13. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    This is how I get annoyed by college baseball sometimes. Home Run after Home Run.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It should still be 4-3; that ball definitely hit the Texas batter. [face_plain]

EDIT: And LSU pulls out the win 7-6 in 11 innings!

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    LSU wins its 6th national title!

Kinda appropriate for a purple and gold forum right now [face_laugh]

16. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    LSU just blew the doors open around the sixth inning... crazy game, all in all. I was hoping LSU would pull it out, so congrats to them.

Best poster in the stands? "Everything's bigger in Texas... even the second-place trophies." lol

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I was mildly amused (though not surprised) by the camera going to Les Miles every time Jared Mitchell came up or Chad Jones struck another guy out (both are LSU football players too)

18. Topper_Harley

Topper_Harley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2008
  19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Are you from Louisiana, Topper?

20. Topper_Harley

Aug 30, 2008
    Yep.

Graduated from LSU

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice.

Glad to have you around. :)

Also, I thought it quite fitting how LSU's game 1 starter closed the door to the series as well. Striking out the side in the 9th, IIRC.

22. Topper_Harley

Aug 30, 2008
    Yeah, that was cool. Especially with him being a senior.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What a great way to finish your college career. For a pitcher, that's probably the absolute best way to do it. For a hitter, the equivalent would be hitting a walkoff HR in the bottom of the ninth :p

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Time for a new baseball season!

Carolina opens up the season against Duquesne (again; it seems like we open against them a lot) today at 3 pm. A friend and I are going to the game :)

USC's missing a couple key players right off the bat (no pun intended... but I'll leave it there because it amuses me)... 1B Nick Ebert is academically ineligible for the time being and OF Jackie Bradley Jr has a broken wrist (or hand? I think its his wrist) and will likely miss a month. They said 4-8 weeks perhaps 2 weeks ago, so we'll see. Sounds like he thinks he'll be back sooner rather than later, which is good. Bradley and Ebert probably will be our 3-4 hitters once they get back in the lineup - that should serve as an indicator of how good they are.

Still, there's a lot of talent elsewhere on this team, too. Kyle Enders is a 5th year senior finally getting his chance to be the primary catcher, freshman Christian Walker (3B) is very highly touted, along with fellow freshman LHP Tyler Webb, who will start on Sunday. Adam Matthews and Whit Merrifield are both very solid outfielders, and when Jackie Bradley Jr gets back, that should be one heck of an outfield. Bobby Haney should be solid at SS, and if Scott Wingo can finally produce some offense from the 2B position, the team should look really good offensively. Wingo's a great defensive player, and he's had some big hits in crucial situations... but overall, his offensive his first two seasons has stunk. Really stunk.

Pitching-wise, senior Blake Cooper starts today with junior Sam Dyson going tomorrow (Dyson's coming off surgery, so we'll see how he does... gonna be on a short leash). Jay Brown should be solid in long relief this weekend (he'll come in when Dyson's pitch count fills up - probably after 3-4 innings or so) and is a reliable midweek starter and potentially a weekend starter if anyone gets injured. Questions remain about the closer's role, but there are some good arms in the 'pen, so we'll see.

25. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson faces Miami(OH) today at home. Then tommorrow vs Michigan State in Greenville's minor league ballpark.

I'm not a big fan of playing these northern teams that usually are pretty poor. But the schedule really picks up from there so I guess some wins will be nice.

Doug Kingsmore had some renovations and have many more outfield seats now. I may go today depending on some things, but looking forward to it.

What's USc in the preseason poll? Clemson is 15th