main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate College: Free Exchange of Ideas or Liberals Cancelling Chicken Sandwiches?

Discussion in 'Community' started by J-Rod, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    "Rich is the country with plenty of poor." When you can take a shovel outside and scoop up five people living on the streets and employ them in your home for $5/week... that's the kind of future that Ted Cruz can give us! We won't even need to import our domestic workers from Guatemala any longer.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

When Bernie Sanders started running for President?

[​IMG]

WELCOME TO COLLEGE!

jabberwalkie likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not faux outrage - some of us generally find officious stupidity highly offensive tom.

StrikerKOJ likes this.
  4. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I mean, in a city where even sleeping while homeless is monetized, room and board probably seems like a pretty baller wage.

Ender Sai and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My friend's father was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and he and his wife decided to move back to India exactly so that he could get round the clock care at home at a fraction of the U.S. costs. Had they stayed in the U.S., the wife would have been shouldered with a lot of the caregiving responsibility.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol yeah ender, i know. "slavery happened. get over it". how dare a person of color at a predominantly white institution like harvard feel uncomfortable in having to call the (probably often white) person in charge of their residence hall "master"? you got it buddy, what a bunch of stupid dummies. everyone knows we should stick with tradition because... well, just because it's tradition i guess!

harpua likes this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    1) They learn to live with things they don't like, and we've all had to. They learn that just not liking something doesn't mean they get to have it changed. They learn to grow up, which is something this generation of students simply haven't done.

2) I don't mean to say that they shouldn't enjoy life or relax ever. They should! But when you've found yourself with an opportunity like going to a good school, you shouldn't start rocking the boat or doing anything that might cause you to lose your opportunity over something that isn't actually harming you (like people being called house masters). This change is obviously the result they wanted, and they're lucky that this was the result they got. But what if some protests had occurred and gotten out of hand, leading to an arrest? What if an arrested student misses a class that has an important test that day? Sometimes students even skip classes to go protest. This is their futures here, much more important than whether fanboy is offensive.

3) The intimidation happens, though. Look at the video of the girl swearing and yelling at the dean for defending his wife's email:

Tell me this is acceptable behavior. Tell me just swearing and yelling at people you disagree with is acceptable behavior.

8. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    So you're just arguing in favor of respectability politics and minorities keeping their mouths shut.

harpua and tom like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yep, that's me! "Don't lose your opportunities" and "don't swear at people" = "shut up, minorities"

Think you forgot a couple more "**** you, Sean"s in your comment.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is so silly. I'm find of old things and old names, and if they were changing the name of masters degrees I'd be pretty annoyed too, especially given that the term is of Latin derivation etc.

But house master? Who cares. The article says its of the same Latin derivation but like -- I didn't go to Harvard. I don't have some attachment to the term. I dunno, maybe it's of historical significance but not one that matters to me.

So I don't care all that much. I mean in general, I have a pretty high degree of disdain for this sort of thing (mass protests over what looks to be harmless) and to the extent that this sets a precedent for more of the same it's pretty disappointing.

But like -- I still don't really care. I'm more likely to be offended by something like how Los Angeles county removed the Roman goddess Pomona from its seal because of separation of Church and state grounds because that personally annoys the crap out of me.

And also because it's something worth being mad about, because the protestors were a bunch of Christians salty about the Establishment clause being used "against" them.

But this? Big meh.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  11. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    But this is all like "what if?" What if someone got arrested? Well, no one did, they seem to have voiced their concerns and come to a consensus, like wocky said. In this specific case, everything happened smoothly and they affected a positive change for themselves without hurting anyone. So now what's your problem?

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I already stated that they got lucky things went smoothly.

We'll see how smoothly it goes when they want to change Masters Degrees.

13. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Or maybe address actual racism rather than get butthurt over a term that predates - and has absolutely no connection with - slavery.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

14. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Vivec, that's another what if. So now what's your problem?

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

StrikerKOJ likes this.
  16. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    SO NOW WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I already linked a video of students encircling and yelling and swearing at a dean.

18. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    THOSE WEREN'T THE STUDENTS ASKING FOR THE TERM HOUSE MASTER TO BE CHANGED THAT WAS A DIFFERENT GROUP OF PEOPLE.

SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WITH THE STUDENTS ASKING TO CHANGE "HOUSE MASTER."

tom likes this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

who's trying to do that? are you literally just making the fedora equivalent of the IF WE LET THE GAYS MARRY SOON PEDOPHILES'LL BE MARRYING OUR FUTURE TROOPS argument?

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Inside voices, please.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm not saying they are right about the word or that they are "right" to feel the way they do. i'm saying clearly they do feel the way they do. as a white person i'm highly uncomfortable telling a black person in a highly racist society at a predominantly white institution how they should feel about having a law school seal that features a slave owner who burned his slaves alive or having to call the guy in charge of their building "master".

Healer_Leona , Diggy and Rogue_Ten like this.
  22. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    he seems to not understand me when i type in lowercase

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Calm down.

I already stated those were a different group. The intimidation here is that if the administration doesn't agree, they will be labelled as racist or enabling racism.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    If you want to actually mod this thread, there's an actual post in the previous page you can look at.

25. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    That
    is
    another
    what if
    that didn't happen in this situation.

So now what's your problem.