main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate College: Free Exchange of Ideas or Liberals Cancelling Chicken Sandwiches?

Discussion in 'Community' started by J-Rod, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I never don't always agree with everything tom writes, and today is no exception, so I should point out my son is constantly in meetings with other students and admins trying to tweak their college experience to make it better in a variety of ways. I definitely don't see why this particular kind of tweaking should be off limits to students. You can lobby on any topic toward the improvement of campus life. But not this one thing. Because race is implied it's now more trivial and less acceptable than trying to get different flavored soft serve ice cream in the dorm dining hall.

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    expensive exchange of i-durrrrrs

3. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    College: Free Exchange of Ideas or Indoctrination for the Left?

Or: Expensive state-run daycare center for entitled brats who refuse to grow up, set in place by "Big Education" working in cahoots with banks specializing in student loans.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    To be fair, Bolsheviks are the actual worst.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It's actually gone beyond j-rod's original topic, and to the actual core of the problem. Murica: Indoctrinated belief in the pursuit of happiness (or happyness, if you're wocky)

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The only think I've been indoctrinated about in American college is about the greatness of Our Lord Tuition and His Executor, Student Loan.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... you rang?

8. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    And their enforcer, Sallie Mae. The cruel mistress...

Which reminds me, I need to make a payment.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    it's the circle of life plus inflation. I paid back my student loans. Now the money I set aside each month to pay my son's tuition is about 20x my old student loan payments.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Explains why you're all lefties

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I first read that as "Executioner."

12. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    So Snyder's Batman, then.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

They've been making such a hash of everything that it's all they have left.

Should never have rebelled. Mistake.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Larry Wilmore really blasted college students who need a "safe space" from seeing Trump's name in chalk.

This short clip does not do the full scene justice but it's something.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  16. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

This is literally your stupidest complaint yet. What could possibly be wrong with gender-neutralizing pronouns in a college acceptance office where no one's sure what gender or sexual orientation people are before they get there?

Also, this site? http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservative_correctness

Two legs bad, four legs good.

18. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I don't see the problem?

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought that **** had been settled decades ago.

We say "police officer" and "firefighter" instead of "policeman and fireman" because women are police officers and firefighters as well.

We say "flight attendants" and not "stewardesses" because there are male flight attendants.

A refusal to pigeonhole people into gender roles by occupation is not "lib-splaining," it's decency and acknowledgement of the norms of the modern workforce.

Saying "spouses" instead of "man and wife" and referring to people by the gender pronoun by which they identify themselves? Also common decency, as well as acknowledgement that, one, a married woman is a woman, not just a "wife" any more than a married man needs to be identified as just a "husband" (like that is his only role in life), and some married couples are comprised of two wives or two husbands.

Iron_lord, Juliet316, jp-30 and 3 others like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    J-Rod, come on.

Here's the two issues I see affecting you right now;

1) The world is changing in a manner that you're not keeping pace with, and you resent it, and
    2) You are applying rampant double standards as a vain attempt to arrest the change in (1) above.

Example: You find the gender neutral pronoun business to be annoying because it enforces a structure on you. Congratulations; this is how people who aren't part of the binary gender world feel when man/woman is imposed upon them.

"But they're in the minority!"

That's actually correct; statistically speaking they are minor. They do not account for more than a few percent of the adult population.

So why is adapting a living language to welcome all parties, rather than excluding them, an issue? If you speak American English you've already adapted the language by dumbing it down and throwing out adverbs and making up stupid words. Example: "The media is so bias against conservatives" is something we would assume the developmentally disabled said, when said outside north America. "We did good today" is something I expect volunteers to say after spending a gruelling number of hours providing food and relief to the homeless. In America, it means we did well at a task.

Given you said "did good" instead of "did well", and your mate Starbob spent pages proving he didn't know the difference between bias (a noun) and biased (an adjective), you have already indicated to all and sundry you are in favour of evolving English.

So maybe getting upset over something as wretched as inclusion is not the hill you want to die on.

As for change; you can turn this tide back after you have mastered control over time and space. We, as white males, had an automatic leg up in society merely by virtue of being, well, white and male. We didn't do anything necessarily to continue to deserve this status, and it didn't add to productive outcomes by default. So when that era changes, it's usually evolutionary in nature and because we are giving way to something better - inclusiveness. You don't have to like this change, but it's not that different in practical terms from hating the sun. It's here to stay, so you can be miserable and on the outside, or accept that changes bring challenges, and challenges are what help us grow.

The era of white, male, hetero dudes is dying and unless you want to be an ironic throwback you need to let your love of the era die with it mate.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Hey J-Rod, it's not the 1950s anymore. Get used to it.

22. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm with J-Rod on this one.

I went to college and it was all just a bunch of people reading books and talking about stuff. Literally no pig hollering, dynamite fishing, bump fire modifications for AR-15s, militia-forming, moonshining or any other improving activity. There was also a distinct lack of concern for foetuses, our troops or Nancy Reagan.

I, for one, can't help thinking the country would be better served by investment in the military. Specifically, national service, whereby each and every American male from the age of 18 to 21 is required to undertake military training. After this period, they will be assigned to a local militia and issued with an M4 carbine and be allowed to choose from a selection of patriotic bumper stickers.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Slightly, you say the sweetest things! That brought a tear to my eye. [face_flag]

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So this is really "J-Rod Rags On America", isn't it?

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

anakinfansince1983 likes this.