main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    Hey folks! I joined the ranks of college students everywhere this fall, and have since fallen completely out of touch with the fan-fiction world. And I miss it! So here we are. I know there are places all over the boards for teen writers, the guys, the gals, etc., and I'm hoping that this can be a place for college students to crash, share fic ideas, hang out...whatever.

It is very possible that this whole idea will bomb out big time, but I've got to give it a shot! So come on in!

-J.

p.s. Hopefully this is the right board to start this topic on. If not - sorry for the error! And please let me know. Thanks! ;)

2. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Ooo, I'll join! I feel your pain... :p

3. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Solidarity sister...it's the only way to go!

4. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I'm in college. I do feel your pain. It's sometimes so hard to find time to read fanfiction or write.
    --Wynssa

5. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm NOT in college and won't be for several years, and when school started I suddenly barely had time to check my e-mail, forget write or something.

(So, it's not only you college-age peeps have lose touch when school starts. Though I think that it's worse for y'all. :p )

[:D] for all of you poor fic-deprived students.

6. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    "Someone please save us, us college kids..." :p

Yeah. So I'm totally chilling out in the computer science lab, goofing around before I dig into my work. Not that it's hard work, I'm following a tutorial on rendering a chicken in Maya. Then I have to design my own character, but that's not due for a couple of weeks. I'm still getting over the fact that we have the super-new our prof didn't even know it was out yet version.

College kids need support, we're up to our ears in classwork, and yet we try to keep our heads up here! We've definitely got to stick together.

Word. :D

*waves a "go Yeomen" flag around enthusiastically*

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yep, poor college student here.

And trying to write fiction while your suitemates are blasting music and partying is NOT fun! :p

8. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    I was reading the "you know you're a fan fiction writer when..." thread earlier, and quite a few of them had to do with writing fic related stuff in the margins of your textbooks. Let me tell ya' that is one thing that is easier in college. When you're in a class of 300+ students, it's much easier to go un-noticed when your mind wanders. Unfortunately, that's about all the fan-fic activity I've been doing lately! My notebook/textbook margins may be filling up, but getting past the idea stage hasn't been possible!

It's nice to know I'm not alone. Glad you're all here!

9. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Hmmm....do we get union rights? and free pizza?

No such thing as a college club without pizza. And coke - mountain dew is aceeptable too, I think.

A suggestion to those of you who are bored and in class - laptops are the bomb. People don't normally read what you are typing - they tend to assume that you are a champion note taker.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm a very starving student. :) So, where's everyone's college? I know me, kateydidnt, spiritofeowyn, Laura_anu, miatieska, and who knows who else are all Cougars here at Brigham Young University.

11. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    There is pizza - and more importantly - coffee!!! for everyone! Coffee is pretty much a major food group around here. So enjoy everyone! And union rights? Sure! Why not? ;)

I may have to try that laptop idea. Typically I'm a traditional, handwritten notes type gal, but I can give all that up for internet access. Just break the mold a little. Besides, when the professor posts his lecture power-point slides online, who needs notes anyway? Can you tell how great a work ethic I have?

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    coffee is against the honor code at my college. I'll take...a Suicide (every flavor shot in soda water).

13. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Fellow College Student in the Northeast here. Great idea for a thread!

I only started writing fanfic in the summer, so it's def different trying adjust to the college life. Not only is there classes and projects and exams and such, there are more people, friends, and roommates around. Just much more stuff to do in general. I don't think I've updated my fic for around 2 weeks now.

Edit: Much less time to read and review fics too. I'm behind on so many stories.

14. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Class = time to write. :D

errr.....that is what I go to school for, right? I'm an English major...in some strange way this *does* work out, right? (Someone validate me here. My friend looked over my shoulder and goes, 'Are you writing fanfic?' I said 'You got anything better to do in this lecture?')

~Carr

15. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    I also just started the whole college thing this fall - and I'm actually home right now instead of at school, because Hurricane Ophelia cancelled Wednesday classes for my university ( [face_dancing] ) and classes tomorrow starting before noon are also cancelled. My two classes tomorrow both start before noon, so it's like an extra free day while a lot of people still have class! Those are the most fun. [face_mischief]

I haven't been able to find ANY time to write. Between adjusting to the whole dorm thing and the whole being expected to do work thing, it's just hard to get anything done, 'specially because I'm an art major and art classes = life.

*starts singing along with whoever was singing RK's "College Kids"*

Oh yeah, and who has the pizza? I want some!

16. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Well, as an English major, you have to enhance your writing skills in a number of ways and in a variety of different genres right? So I'd say you're completely justified. :D

talkingbanana: The whole adjusting thing is definitely hard and time-consuming. It's quite a change eh? But at the same time, very exciting. Gives you a whole new bunch of people to base characters off of anyway!

17. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I wish I had a laptop. :p Of course, that would make it even HARDER for me to pay attention.

I'm not doing too bad keeping up with fics. My problem is that I am the procrastination guru. I am the master. I work on fics rather than do my homework. It gets done like, 10 minutes before I leave for class. *smacks hand* Bad Racheal!

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, we english majors have the perfect excuse.

19. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Maybe we should begin a Procrastinator's Union, because I would easily fit in with that bunch! It's really pretty bad sometimes... [face_whistling]

20. aldocassidy

Jun 22, 2005
    Writing in class seems like a strange concept to me. Maybe it's the whole hand-writing thing, and then having to copy it onto a computer. Besides, wouldn't it be hard concentrating with the prof talking?

21. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    Copying onto the computer gives you a good chance to edit. YOu do have to pay attention to every word, after all.

I feel so sorry for my calculus 2 teacher - he's blind!
    *looks at the astonishing number of people reading newspapers during class*

at least fanfic is productive...maybe not in a math way, but...

22. KnightJaina

Apr 24, 2004
    Depends on the professor. My history professor tends to ramble/mumble, and when it's 8 in the morning, it's very difficult to pay attention.

As for the hand-writing thing, I've always been the type that writes with a pen and paper first, then transfers them to a word document on the computer. To me, there's just something more personal about having the scribbling scrawl of my handwriting sitting there in front of me, complete with scratched out words and paragraphs. Plus, once I begin typing it out, it's a good opportunity to edit it again. Works out nicely!

23. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I'm a college student, but I haven't started classes yet since Ohio State is one of the few still running on the antiquated system of quarters and not semesters. But once classes start a week from today, I'm sure the amount of time I can devote to fanfic will diminish drastically.

And I'm all for the Procrastinator's Union ;)

24. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    A Procrastinater's Union would be awesome. It's what I'm doing now :)
    --Wynssa

25. aldocassidy

Jun 22, 2005
    Procrastinating is what I'm doing too. Technically I should be studying risks and returns of stock portfolios (test tomorrow). Honestly, this thread couldn't have popped up at a worse (or better) time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.