main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College Student Writer's Union: Life on campus the fan-fiction way!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KnightJaina, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Going to Goodwill to get costume stuff for my clown. I love theatre assignments. :p

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That is awesome :D

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Clown class is... interesting. :p To be honest, none of us where really all that excited and kind of didn't want to do it, but our instructor is amazing and it's turning out to be a very cool class. :)

4. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Idri, that sounds quite awesome! What with LARPing, other games, and a shadowcast, I swear I'm shopping for tons of people. The local Salvation Army is a wonderful resource.

Thankfully things have gotten better- I visited my friend in the hospital, after a long game of Public Transportation Tag, and she's doing a lot better than we'd thought. But I never want to try to get to Boston and back (I go to school in western MA) without a car again. It was a long trip.

Classes start Monday... I'm rather scared...[face_worried]

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Idri, your clown class sounds really cool. So what did you do in those clown costumes?

Classes are hard, but yay for people who took the class the year before and for professors who assign the same assignments every semester, without even changing the numbers. this reduced the time I have to spend on homework :D

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    At the moment, we're creating our clowns, basically discovering the walk, the way they talk, the way they think. My clown is a clarinet playing conductor who can play clarinet and conduct at the same time. I got myself into a huge mess last Wednesday because of that. Doing the two things at the same time is rather difficult, as I discovered. :p

After reading week, we finish our solo clown work and will get to start interacting with our classmate's clowns, which will be very... interesting. Our final project basically involves us running around the school in our clown costumes, performing clown sketches in public areas. :p

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Ugh, first day of a new semester and I just want to sleep all day. :_|

8. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    Yeah, today starts the third week of the semester- I think another five weeks until spring break. I can't wait- being perpetually tired is annoying. And also, I'm taking 12 credits of geology- including a seminar and an advanced course. The prof was right about moving into the geology lab- I feel like I have been living there!

Finally I have a list of grad schools to look at- it's nice to know where I should start looking, since I'm interested in something that my school doesn't really offer. At least my adviser was able to tell me where I should go to find out about grad options. And I have the applications in to write a thesis...[face_worried]

9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I've had so little time for the boards lately... if I weren't writing my thesis about fan fiction, I'd never get to hang out here anymore! Just under two months left to get it finished. I am so stressed about it - haven't even started writing up properly yet. Eeep!

How's this semester going for everyone? Is anyone not stressed? Maybe I can get calmer by osmosis, or something? 8-}

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm fairly relaxed about this semester. It helps that I've already done my first assignment and just need to redo parts of it. :) Not sure about the others though. I'm hoping to do much better this semester than I did last one. I passed but not by much.

11. jaded_jewel

jaded_jewel Guest

I'm not nearly as stressed as last semester. I had Organic Chem 1 last semester and passes with a C which I'm happy to say! This semester is better because I'm not taking any chemistry. I do however have a 5 pg. research paper due for American Civ in two weeks...1 page down! I also changed my major from Biology to Natural Science. Still planning on going into Physical Therapy. Hope everyone is good...and I hope I survive midterms this week...SPRING BREAK!! next week ...then a couple more midterms the week after that. Here is some fake caffinated liquid and chocolate sustanance for all us hard working college students. =D

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm done with midterms and am basking in the glow of break being next week.

13. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Ugh. I just got done with spring break, and I'm back to the grindstone. It went by far too quickly for my liking, and unfortunately I didn't really have a break, since I had to work the whole week. *shrugs* That's life, I suppose.

14. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    This has been a semester straight from the black lagoon for me. I'm struggling in a class that I need to get a really good grade in, but at least the professor understands that we're all a bit lost and helps us more than we'd expected. I can do math, but I can't do chemistry. And this is a chemistry class disguised as a geology class.

For next year, I'm going to be president of my college's science fiction club! I'm so excited. People are already giving me lots of cosplay ideas. It's going to be a fun year.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's awsome! What does the sf club do?

16. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    We run games, two LARPS, a convention, going to a Renaissance Faire, and lots of fun at weekly meetings. The scifi club was one of the things that got me to go here, and I'm so excited for next year! And it seems that I've developed quite a resistance to bureaucratic nonsense. This will be very helpful.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's awesome! Do you guys do any book club stuff?

18. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Ooooh, sf club! Yay for making president, SithGirl, that's cool!

We have one at my college as well. I joined last semester. For research purposes. They organised a con back in February, which was awesome. Highlight of the month for me! [face_dancing]

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've now been given all of my coursework for this semester. While I don't like the prospect of having to do work I'm at least thankful that it is more or less the same as last year's coursework and I can just modify and resubmit it, one of the lecturers even said as much. This makes things so much easier for me, though I should really dig out my feedback from last year so I can do even better this year.

20. SithGirl132

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm at the Harvard convention. And Timothy Zahn is here. This is obviously going to make up for a spring break from hell.

And I'm going to be without internet all summer, due to being in South Dakota and Montana for geology fieldwork.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm jealous!! (About the Zahn part, not the no internet access - I'm one of those people who has to check her email every few hours 8-} )

22. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Oooh, Zahn? Really? That's awesome! I'm kinda jealous too now...

And heh, I have GMail, so when my computer's on and there's a wireless network around, I'm technically checking emails all the time. I've got really bad with FaceBook though. Checking that way too often. Even though there's NEVER anything interesting. *lol*

I have a structure for my thesis now, though! And I've learned to bake brownies and lots more besides. Clearly, brownies are a worthwhile use of my time. Right? RIGHT?!

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Brownies are always an excellent use of time :D

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    QFT. Brownies are always awesome. I was chuffed to pieces when I found out that Starbucks had switched to Fair Trade brownies and were giving away free brownies to celebrate. They are so good. :D

I got a mark back for my final year project report. I got 60% for it! [face_dancing] It's not fantastic but it's a 2-1 and will help over all. :D

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    QFT as well! Brownies rule!

I wish I had the proper facilities to bake brownies at my apartment at uni, but I'm in a somewhat low-tech place (aka our oven does not work :p ). Yay, student living!

I just got my mark back for an essay I thought I did terribly on. Turns out that I got an A-, so I'm hoping that once I edit it and go back over some ideas that my prof suggested, I can upgrade my mark to something even better, since in her class we do two submissions of the same paper. :)

And I still have to figure out what the hell my monologue is about... trust my scene instructor to give me the most puzzeling and bizzare monologue ever. [face_laugh] It's the character talking about driving on the highway and it is clearly a metaphor for something, I just can't figure out what. Given the context in which the scene occurs it can either be a) her talking about her need to escape her family situation and not have to deal with any more crap any longer or b) confronting her possible lesbianism (it's never stated outright in the play, but it is kind of implied, depending on the way you look at it). I'm not sure which one I'll go with, but I present on Monday, so I kind of need to get to work on it. :p Yay, confusing monologues that are supposed to be humorous, yet are serious at the same time! Agh! *brain explodes*

... someone remind me why I want to be an actor... :oops:

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.