College Students Too PC?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Lord Bane, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    I never suggested that McDonald's is why America's culture was superior. I said American companies are dominate as evidenced by the fact that they are everywhere ( I did not even say they were good, though who can resist a Big Mac Extra Value Meal...drool)

German, Belgian, etc culture are among the many that I said were close to the US.

here 3 good movies since that is what you gave me: (though some were from different years)

Road to Perdition
    Lord of the Rings
    Attack of the Clones

And don't forget, you should be able to name tons more that I can as America only 1/20th of the world population.

For chain restaurants (you gave me zero, nonchains would be too easy because there are tons of mom and pop eateries that are great):

Outback Steakhouse
    Red Lobster
    Carabbas
    Don Pablos

--Joey
  2. jiabaoyu Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Butler wrote:

Well, jiabaoyu, my perspective is the exact opposite of yours...I think the Han Chinese culture is far from the best in the world.

I did not state that Han chinese culture was the best in the world. I stated that my parents and some Chinese friends believed this.

I personally find both American and Chinese cultures to be lacking. To say one is better then the other is like saying one type of music is better then another. Both have good points and both have bad points. I am merely pointing out that there is no "absolute" definition of what makes a culture superior to another. Merely your opinion.

I prefer Taiwan's food, clothing, etc. (but not the entertainment. Oh, Light, spare me from Taiwanese soap operas!)--but I find Western values preferable (dare I say superior?) to Chinese values.

Agreed. Chinese soap operas absolutely suck.

Yes, I'm Westernized and proud of it. My mother, who's grown up with standard Chinese values, is currently at loose ends. For most of her adult life, she has been "the wife and mother." Now that we kids are grown and almost gone, she doesn't have anything to base her life on. She's never thought of herself as an autonomous individual. I don't want to live like that, and I'm glad I won't have to.

I'm not sure if that's so much a part of Chinese culture. There are many American women who also experience this problem.

My mother have never been treated has the 'wife and mother' of so-and-so. She was always known as the 'researcher in this-and-this department working with dr. so-and-so'. Most of the Chinese women she knew back in Beijing are educated women with careers, and none of them have ever been spoken of like that. I don't think this is cultural....I think having a respected career would mitigate this problem (it did for my mother).

Joey7F wrote:

And I speak of China's lack of respect for basic human rights...so what?

And my parents find that the culture has little to do with China's lack of human rights. They believe this is not truly an issue of Chinese culture, but a lack of political freedom in the country. If a dictator was to take over the US the next day, I would not consider think less of American culture.

Apparently Thailand is very nice, but there is something called the honeymoon period.

People can fall in love with a culture and still hate the country. These are two separate issues.

Umm...Egypt is not superior to any country except America? Is America no longer a country?

She likes America as a country, but she believes the Egpytian pyramid beats American culture.

We didn't steal food, we brought it with us, and to be more specific, we brought the best with us.

I agree, but for many foreigners, they just do not find American food appetizing. There is no food that is "best", just as there is no country that is "superior" to all others.

The problem is you and I look at culture differently. Culture, IMHO, is something studied by sociologists and literature majors. Human rights and economics IMHO do not constitute a country's culture. As I stated before, everyone would like to be rich, and most believe in the basic tenets of human rights (with exceptions)...America culture is not "better" or "unique" because they believe these things...would it surprise you that many Chinese people believe in the principles of democracy?

The more you travel, the more you appreciate the United States.

I always thought the more you travel, the more you appreciate what the world has to offer.

Just my two cents. :)
  3. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    College Students Too PC?

On the whole, I would have to say yes.
  4. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Both Egypt and China strip their citizens of human rights.

That is part of the culture, but I suppose it is a very negative part which should be disgarded anytime America beats it out.

--Joey
  5. jiabaoyu Jedi Knight

star 3
    Both Egypt and China strip their citizens of human rights.

That is part of the culture, but I suppose it is a very negative part which should be disgarded anytime America beats it out.

I don't believe it's a cultural practice that human rights are violated. That would be like saying that the recent school shootings are also indicative of America's violent gun culture. Criminal elements are not representative of an entire culture.

I can't speak for Egypt, but the average chinese person does not think ill of human rights, or democracy for that matter. Just because their governments do not practice it does mean the 'culture' is to blame.

You would not blame the American 'culture' for the high crime rates in urban areas, would you?

Things generally considered 'bad' or 'good' is not a 'cultural issue. All cultures espouse love for their children, and love for their fellow man. Those features do not count as 'culture', as they do not uniquely define a culture.

I believe that most Chinese people believe in the principle of human rights, but most do not feel like risking the wrath of the government by standing up for it when they see violations of it.

Now, I can see the Chinese mindset of conformity and obedience to the state that contributes to some of the problems of human rights violations, but even Confucious said that when the Emperor has done a poor job with ruling, their Mandate from Heaven has been revoked, and the people have every right to rebell.

Just my two cents. :)
  6. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Joey7F
    I said American companies are dominate as evidenced by the fact that they are everywhere

Can you elaborate on that point please.

German, Belgian, etc culture are among the many that I said were close to the US.
    that comment infers that you think American culture is still the best.

Chain restaurants are poor - even the upmarket ones such as Red Lobster. No other country pedals chain restaurants, its an American invention.

M
  7. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    Red Lobster? Are you kidding me?
    Red Lobster is disgusting. And Outback might be the Greasiest hellhole out there. These two establishments make me ashamed of american culture.
    Maybe if you traveled to other places you can see that good food is not found in chain restaraunts.
  8. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    Hell, most of the good American food isn't found in chain restaurants. Most of it is made in the kitchens and backyards of Americans.

Now, if you wish to compare the merits (or lack thereof, in your opinion) of American culture then feel free to do so IN ANOTHER THREAD!!!!
  9. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Umm..I never said only chains make good food, in fact I admitted that great eateries are everywhere but if I say "Espo's" you'll say never heard of them, to which I will say, of course not they have a small clientel in Tampa.

I have travelled somewhat, Norway, Netherlands, France, Germany, and Switzerland.

If you can turn down a Bloomin Onion and the Red Lobster biscuits then you are better than I am...</drool>

American food btw, is what ever we want to throw in.

Mexican, Italian, German, etc. are all available in your various clones of TGIFridays.

We such an have awesome variety here.

--Joey

Edit: I forgot to respond with regards to my statement that American companies dominate as evidenced by the fact that they are everywhere. I didn't say better, I said they are dominate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.