main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

College

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Nsync-Boy, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nsync-Boy

Nsync-Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    how hard is college?

2. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Aunt Jar Jar Mimah Jedi Master star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Lol!

//encourages the decline.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    You've really opened up a can of worms on this one, Lucas...

4. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    Harder than anything you can imagine.

5. Nsync-Boy

Jan 2, 2002
    did you check My profile or something?

6. Nsync-Boy

Jan 2, 2002
    BTW is anyone gonna answer? is college as hard as everyone projects it to be.

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I didn't check your profile. I was referring to George Lucas and his decision to put NSync in AOTC.

8. Nsync-Boy

Jan 2, 2002
  9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If you can weasel your talentless arse into my favorite movies in a foul plot to cheesify them to death...
    college will be a breeze.

10. Nsync-Boy

Jan 2, 2002
    OK that sounds cool.

11. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    It isn't hard, but my advice is to

A)Take your core courses (e.g. Math, English Composition, Public Speaking, Basic Computers...) at a community college

B)Go to a good public ubiversity to finish your Bachelor's degree

THEN

C)Do your Master's at another good public university.

Don't kill yourself to get a degree from an Ivy League school. It isn't that much better.

12. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I wonder if this is going to become a problem.

13. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Listen to Just_A_Slacker. VERY good advice :D

You end up with the same degree anyway. It also saves you money which is a BIG plus.

College hasn't been too hard for me. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to really since I was homeschooled and studying has always been a breeze.

14. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Try to take your core curriculum in the first two years. Don't worry about what your major is until you are in the second half of your sophomore year. You will probably change your major numerous times and doing it this way, you won't end up with countless hours of credits that go nowhere.

15. The_son_of_the_suns

The_son_of_the_suns Jedi Master star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    Well, I don´t know how is it in the US, but here not only it isn´t being hard for me, but actually i´m having a great time at it.

16. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Depends. I pull 14 hours a day at school doing 6 classes, 3 of which are AP's, cheerleading, and rehearsing for the fall/spring play, and THEN going home and doing 4 hours worth of homework. Needless to say, I usually get about 3-5 hours sleep. People who have done the same thing (and are going to the college I'm going to next year) say that college will be easier for me because I'll actually have TIME.

I guess it just depends on your high school experience.

17. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    One of the major benefits of college is that the classes you take only meet a few times a week instead of daily. It took me forever to get used to going to college at 9 and being done by noon. You will have a lot of time to get your work done.

A good test of how hard it will be is to ask yourself how much you study now. If you never crack a book, and don't have to, you will probably have a hard time at first. You will adapt. The rule of thumb is that for every 1 hour of class you take (and a full load is 12) you need to spend three hours per week. Therefore, you need to study 36 hours per week to get a decent grade. Of course you could have a mind like my college roomate who never studied and got A's on everything.

I teach at a community college and every fall semester I get a Freshman in my office who complains that high school was nothing like this. Personally, I think one of the major differences is that students are forced to motivate themselves to get their work done, there parents aren't there to make sure they get their work done.

18. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Wait a minute...12 is a full load? Man, at the college I'm going to, we have to take at least 12, average is 14, most allowed is 15. What college do you teach at? I wanna switch. :D

19. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Depends on what your major is, but if you can handle the workload it's alright. When I went to orientation, they told us for every hour of class, you need two hours of studying (yeah right!). Just remember that the professors don't care if you fail, so just be sure to stay caught up on everything, take notes, come to class and try not to fall asleep.

20. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Most allowed is 15? The minimum I took was 16. I took anywhere from 16-19 hours (I finished in 4 years, so it was worth it).

21. Destiny_Skywalker

Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2000
    Community colleges often have students take less credit hours. Although I don't know the exact reason, I suspect it's because a lot of community college students also work, since Mom and Dad are usually complaining that they still live at home. :D

Average around here seems to be about 16 credit hours, 18 being the max, 15 being the minimum they THINK you should take. Full-time is considered 12 though.

22. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Yo. White-Male is a Nsync-fan. Pass it on!

23. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    College is so easy and fun and great. I wish I could stay here forever.

24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    How hard is college?

How much will you give me if I answer?

25. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    College = Easy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.