main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Color Corecting in AE

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by star-69, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star-69

star-69 Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2003
    Does anyone know how to color correct in after effects or were there is a TUT for doing that if so please post.

2. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Use your levels controls and color balance. There's not much to it.

3. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Yep, it's all a matter of eyballing it.

4. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    You'd be better off using Premiere, if you have it.

5. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Color correct in PREMIERE?

BWAHAHAHAH *couch splutter* HAHAHAHA

And levels... how primitive.

Use Curves, or Hue/Saturation.

Most people dont know that AE's hue/saturation does a lot more than "just" that, you can go into "Blues", define the exact blue range, and tweak the hue/sat of blues ONLY, then pop up "reds" and tweak those, and so on, and so forth.

VERY powerful, and almost hidden... even I didn't think it could work with all those color ranges AT THE SAME TIME, but it does (I thought the selector for eg. "Blues" switched the effect to ONLY work on blues, but thats not how it works, it only shows the settings for the blues, all the other settings are still active and running)

/Z

6. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    LOl, I guess this guy will have to have someone else do it for him then...cuz I'm colorblind.

7. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    >>Color correct in PREMIERE?

BWAHAHAHAH *couch splutter* HAHAHAHA

And levels... how primitive.

Use Curves, or Hue/Saturation.

Most people dont know that AE's hue/saturation does a lot more than "just" that, you can go into "Blues", define the exact blue range, and tweak the hue/sat of blues ONLY, then pop up "reds" and tweak those, and so on, and so forth.
    <<

Hm... Guess Zap doesn't have Premiere Pro - it's ALL there... Curves... sats... split screen functions... More color correcting options than are really comprehensible.
    It even has a "color match" function (though I haven't been too successful with that one...)

-Spiff

8. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    No, no, thats true. I dont have premiere pro.

/Z

9. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I know my couch sputters a lot. Looks like Zap's does too. :D

:p

10. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    You are right Zap, the hue/saturation control is a powerful tool.

11. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    is there a demo for Premiere Pro available on Adobe's website. I would like to see it before i start throwing my $$$ at them.

Oh and a quick question. Just how realtime is it? Is it truly like hitting the space-bar and you have your fullmotion video with all dissolves and everything playing without rendering?

thx

12. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I recommend using a combination of Levels/Color Balance/ and Hue/Saturation functions.

13. trixter

trixter Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2001
    Actually there is a great color correction tutorial for AE.

http://www.geocities.com/pixelmagic2002/CineAlta2.html

Ive used it in all my stuff to date and I personally think its great

14. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    That's a film-look tutorial. With color correction used for it. Color correction could be used to match foreground and background elements -- not necessarily for the film look.

The manual/online help guides will tell you how the color correction filters work, what they are, how to use them, etc.

15. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    too bad premiere pro is Windows XP only; I only use Windows 2000 Pro and WILL NOT upgrade (because XP isn't an "improvement" in my opinion)

16. GoreLord

GoreLord Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2000
    Color Correcting in Premiere Pro is pretty good.

I've made some crappy looking shots look pretty good.

17. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Use the histogram, if AE has one? That's what I use in Vegas. Compare what you're working on with a nicely produced movie trailer, and compare the levels. It's also a good idea to have a tv hooked up via a DV camera to make sure certain colours aren't too bright.

18. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    art: nice bait, but how bout not on this thread?

19. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    too bad premiere pro is Windows XP only; I only use Windows 2000 Pro and WILL NOT upgrade (because XP isn't an "improvement" in my opinion)

What's bad about XP? I have XP Home and have never had any real problems except with system upgrade.... but I've used Win2K Pro (granted, on a computer with much lower specs) and it seemed about as stable as XP.

I mean, sure, don't get XP only for Premiere Pro... but in a while, if/when most apps are XP only, I'd think you'd want to upgrade to XP.

That said, speaking of AE and Premiere... I already have installed versions on my PC... can I have two versions installed on my PC at once? I.e., Premiere 6.5 and Premiere Pro demo? Ditto with multiple versions of AE.

20. teutonicknight

teutonicknight Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    ^Well for one, if your like me and have multiple computers, you like to have all the same OS on all the computers. Windows XP can only be installed on one computer (Because of the activation process you have to go through to run it). If you wanted to have XP on all your computers, you would have to buy multiple licences. Which, cost more than it should.

Secondly, WIN XP doesn't run older programs as well as.... older OS's like 2000 & 98. I don't know about you... but I have a lot of old programs and files that refuse to run under XP. The compatablity mode works OK, but it works better on an older OS.

Oh, and just incase you were wondering, I have XP. It ain't so bad, doesn't crash as much as 98. And I've gotten use to the round green highlights. I just boot from 98se on a differn't drive when I need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.