main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Color or Colour?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Darth Ludicrous, Aug 12, 2001.

?

Color or Colour?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Color

56.0%
  2. Colour

44.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    One word: flutterby

duh.gif

(and it's color)

2. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    Sorry I was talking specifically to theSpaniard. cuz he was talking about us all being Americans. Well we aren't. And about the igloos and bears, I saw a tape in geography class in grade 9 where people were talking to Americans and they thought that we all lived in igloos and that bears roamed the streets, and a bunch of other stupid things. That's all! :)
    Bye bye

Padme

3. Twinnie

Twinnie Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 5, 2001
    French remarks (and remember guys that French just love teasing the Americans, because they don't understand we're having fun at them) : in most European countries (maybe all of them ?), we are taught British English, and RP (=BBC) pronounciation (this is bad for those of us who watch too much of SW and its American accents). And in a couple of languages among them French, there is an equivalent to 'United Statesians'.

I write American English out of laziness, but I know I'll have to switch in British English spelling when I reach higher levels of English studies. And I just never manage to remember whether 'symbolize' is written -ize in British English too (if we use both British and American English in an essay we're dead [face_scared]

btw, the name is couleur (see you're all mistaken :D )

4. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
    COLOUR is the more common spelling because it is used in more countries such as CANADA(!) England and all of the rest except for America. I mean, is it so much to ask for you to stick a "u" in your words???

5. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Yeah, and in Australia, kangaroos and wallabies are really limited to the bush, not central Sydney...and we don't all sound like rednecks either!
    In fact, people think I have an NZ/British accent :)

6. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    color = good in HTML.
    colour = good anywhere else.

I like colour.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Color. England has all those superfluous Us. :)

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Color. That's the way it's spelled in the dictionary.

9. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Color. Why use u's when you don't need to?

10. plocool

plocool Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2001
    Color.
    Sorry Canadians,British, we don't need the U to be the best. :)

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Colour: It is the way it is spelled in OUR (Australian) dictionary!

;)

Kithera

12. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Boo! U's have as much right as any other letter in the alpabet. More so, actually, seeing as they're a vowel. Bring back the U's, otherwise they'll go on strike, and they'll abandon all the words that they are in, and that'll just be irritating for everyone.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

14. Inkosazana

Inkosazana Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2001
    for those of us strange ppl who are web designers then you use colour to specify a "colour" in an HTML tag.

So I use both and sometimes I forget to put the "U" back in it and get blasted coz I've spelt the word incorectly.

Ink

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Americans are always right. :)

16. CoruscantJedi

CoruscantJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2001
    People who say colour scare me.

17. Darth Saber

Darth Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 1999
    Its kinda funny how some of you guys bash Americans...especially when the point of all of you being here is to celebrate the story written by an American.

For your information, they changed the spellings of lots of words, color, -bre to -ber, etc. in order to give the English language a more unique feel so Americans can believe they have their own spellings for things. It was not because we are illiterate, or have anything against u.

So its kinda hard to read that stuff against Americans in times like this. Go USA.

P.S. Yeah we don't know anything about Canada. My state of California has more people than your whole country. Thats why we don't know anything about it.

18. CoruscantJedi

Oct 17, 2001
    I don't care if Americans do edit words, that's the way we like it and we're not gonna change.

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    There are certain American words that have remained unchanged, like "glamour". It's how it's spelled in the American dictionary so don't try to prove me wrong. *smug look*

20. CoruscantJedi

Oct 17, 2001
    Who's trying to prove who wrong?

21. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    My 5-month-old daughter is going to have this problem! I'm American, my wife is Canadian, and our life is littered with colourless colors, humorless humour, ad nauseum. Neither of us will budge...

So we're teaching her Japanese. Marriage is all about compromise.

22. CoruscantJedi

Oct 17, 2001
  23. Ornitier

Ornitier Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm American and I tend to spell it color. However, for some reason I always spell some things like "harbour" with a "u" for some reason. I think I picked that up from Australia (Darling Harbour) so I dunno. Sometimes I just like scribbling in the Chinese equivilant to confuse people.
    EDIT: D'oh, I can be amazingly redundant.

24. Yoshi the Green Jedi

Yoshi the Green Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 1999
    As much as I would prefer to use the British spellings of "colour" and "theatre", etc, the American ones are so deeply ingrained in me I can't stop using them.

25. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    color... why add the 'u' what's the point of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.