main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Colour Grade Discussion

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthPhilosopher, Jan 19, 2015.

?

Which colour grade?

1. 2011

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. 2004

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Original / 1997

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    So which colour grade do you prefer, the Original/'97 colours, the 2004 colours or the slightly adjusted 2011 colours?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Original. The others give the movies a cold and depressing feeling that doesn't fit a lot of the scenes.

By the way, 1997 is bluer than original.

3. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    In all honesty I can't remember what the originals looked like. I own them on the 1995 VHS tapes but haven't seen them in almost twenty years. I can say that I prefer '97 to anything that came after that, though.

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The original/1997 colors for me. Star Wars in 1997 was based on a fade-free Technicolor print and it looked good. Much better than the 1993 master. Too bad the VHS had a pink tint to some scenes.

The 2011 colors are the 2004 colors with the most glaring errors manually corrected- like Luke's saber on the Falcon (one shot only!) and the blades crossing in front of the Emperor.

SlashMan likes this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Not exactly, the 2011 colours are slightly brighter and have less contrast, not to mention many more lightsaber shots were fixed than you care to mention.

Not sure if thats true...

6. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

It might be. I never actually watched the blu-rays. I just know they are based off the 2004 restoration.

7. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes they are. Of course they still have new the 2004 colour grade, but they are slightly brighter in some shots, etc, etc.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The restoration part of the Special Editions were well done at least (the 1997 one). The colors were still vibrant and the details were crisp, so original/1997 for me.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
  11. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    Original/1997 versions for me. I did not mind the blu ray version though. In regards to the 2004 version, I never really noticed anything until people started mentioning the errors, and then of course I noticed them constantly then lol

12. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

I thought ANH looked pretty damn perfect on Blu Ray when it came to colors.

13. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I prefer the color correction of Harmy's Despecialized editions...they are simply gorgeous! If you watch his documentary of the making of the Despecialized editions on youtube you can see what an excellent job his team did on fixing the colors of the blu ray release...which were an improvement on the 2004 transfers but far far from perfect...check it out!