main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Combining the Eras V 2.0 A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread -- New Discussion!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TimeTravelIndex, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *runs away from all the plot bunnies*

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, now you feel bunnies are bad? HA! Take that for inspiring the rest of us!

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    :p I will have my revenge.[face_devil]

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Alrighty boys and girls. [face_devil] What about Palpatine in ROTJ sensing that Anakin is about to turn back either goes back in time to eliminate Luke (and by essense Leia) before they were ever born or concieved or going forward to influence a certain grandson of Anakin?

[face_devil] O:)

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    That's an evil plot bunny.

I like it. And I would read a story that grew out of such an evil plot bunny. :p

6. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Idrelle, I thought you said plot bunnies are nice and that we should love them in here. :p

But I agree, great idea, Juliet! :D I'd love to see Palpatine slipping back and forth through time. Just think of the havoc he could create! :) [face_worried] [face_devil]

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ooh, I'd have him as a politician in the PT who realizes what will happen and finds a way to eliminate Shmi Skywalker.

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I said they were nice demoniac things. :p [face_devil] And we should love nice demoniac little things. 8-}

I'd love to see Palpatine slipping back and forth through time. Just think of the havoc he could create!

Hmm... let's see if we can calculate how much havoc Palpsy can create if we give him the ability to travel through time! Fun fun fun!

:p

Ooh, I'd have him as a politician in the PT who realizes what will happen and finds a way to eliminate Shmi Skywalker.

Ish, that is a good idea.

9. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005

Nice, Ish! I'm starting to believe your sig. :p Or instead of killing Shmi, maybe Palpatine would take Anakin away from Tatooine when he is only a baby so he could raise the Chosen One fully in the Dark Side?

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I'm already writing one in which Anakin was rejected by the Jedi, taken in by Palpatine and raised as his foster son because Shmi died a few years later.

11. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Wow, I can?t believe that I haven?t been here yet, I mean, I love Time travel fics. Whenever I now have time to write the one I have in my head, I?m not sure, but someday.

Which characters are used most frequently in time travel? Why?

Hmm, I would say Luke and Jaina actually, but mostly Luke. Leia and Han are also very common.

Which characters are your favourites for time travel? Why?

I don?t know, if it?s a good story with a good reason for them travelling in time then I?ll read it.

Which characters would you like to see time travel, to which era, and visit which characters? Why?

I?m with whoever thought about sending Padmé to the beyond. I?ve always liked Padmé so to send her to different times or to send people to visit her, for some reason, would be fun to read.

12. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Which characters are used most frequently in time travel? Why?

Jaina, I can think of 5 offhand. If you be a skywalker/solo the crazy happens to you. Like time travel.[face_mischief]

Which characters are your favourites for time travel? Why?

::looks at her stories:: Jaina apparently. Jacen too, he could learn some perspective. Any of the main family actually.

Which characters would you like to see time travel, to which era, and visit which characters? Why? YJK Jacen going to Legacy- betrayal and the like. Boy would he get the shock of his young life."I Did WHAT?"

Padme goes to the future, that would be fun. Actually I'd like anything that rewrites NJO on, or ROTS.

Time Travel is the freedom of the Afterthought Eternal Edit.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    YJK Jacen going to Legacy- betrayal and the like. Boy would he get the shock of his young life."I Did WHAT?"

:D

Mesa likes! That would be rather amusing.

I think I just got a plot bunny for a humor fic... 8-}

14. TimeTravelIndex

TimeTravelIndex Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2006
    We are always happy about new plot bunnies! Remember - the more, the better!

And now to the new discussion:

If Han eavesdropped to one of Anakin/Palpatine conversation, what action would he take first?

a) make a tantrum
    b) organise a "The Chancellor is the Sith Lord" campaign
    c) run to Obi-Wan
    d) *try* to knock Anakin unconscious, bring him into the future and let him talk to Leia.
    e) Other (describe)

If Obi-Wan from TPM met Obi-Wan from ANH and heard his tale, what would he do?

a) "I knew there was something wrong with that boy. I should report him to the Council."

b) He would bring Anakin back to Shmi

c) He would let Yoda train Anakin

d) He, the Dark Lord of the Sith? No way. He's so cute! I'll train him as I promised my Master.

e) He would let Anakin see Shmi once a year and he would let Anakin see Padme so that they don't fall in love with each other and don't get married

f) other options?

15. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006

e) He would let Anakin see Shmi once a year and he would let Anakin see Padme so that they don't fall in love with each other and don't get married

Both yes and no on that, I do think that he would let Anakin see Shmi and I do think that he might have let Anakin and Padmé meet in hope that they wouldn?t fall in love, but is like you said, you can?t control destiny.

I?m not so sure about that Han thing though, I guess that I would have to go with e) Other (describe) I think that he would have looked up the closest bar before he would have done anything else, then I?m not sure, probably something stupid and ratter silly.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I absolutely love reading the reactions of characters to other characters in time travel stories. [face_love] They're usually very funny and most of the time they're simply histerical!

Therefore...

If Han eavesdropped to one of Anakin/Palpatine conversation, what action would he take first?

a) make a tantrum
    b) organise a "The Chancellor is the Sith Lord" campaign
    c) run to Obi-Wan
    d) *try* to knock Anakin unconscious, bring him into the future and let him talk to Leia.
    e) Other (describe)

e) Go "what?" in the most absolute Han Solo-style, then make a Han Solo-style tantrum before trying to knock Anakin unconscious, bring him unto the future and let him talk to Leia.

8-}

I actually don't know. But I do know that it'd be ridiculously hysterical.

a) "I knew there was something wrong with that boy. I should report him to the Council."

b) He would bring Anakin back to Shmi

c) He would let Yoda train Anakin

d) He, the Dark Lord of the Sith? No way. He's so cute! I'll train him as I promised my Master.

f) other options?

I think he would let Anakin see Shmi at least once a year, but, like Star_Angel said, would try to keep Anakin away from Padme.

And perhaps say "I knew there was something wrong with that boy. I should report him to the Council," under his breath but not actually do it. :p

17. Takergirl316

Takergirl316 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2005

Depends, which era of Han are we talking about? If it's ANH to pre - Bespin ESB Han he'd probably either say "Eh" and go about his scroundrel business or knock Anakin out, take him to the future and have him see the effect of what he did to his 'only son' Luke. And make Anakin see how ugly the Darkside makes ya. :p If it's post - Carbonite Han, I would say he knocks Anakin out and makes him talk to BOTH twins.

First d, then a, then c, then b. perhaps not all in that order.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The last reply was made by my sock during a gameban [face_blush]

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    no opinion on current discussion - but it depends on which Han it is - does Han even know Ole' Palps was a Sith?

Anyway,

Does anyone have any good general advice on writing a time travel fic? I'm currently trying to write one (but its not going to be posted for awhile). And I might need some help and/or advice.

(cable modem is causing problems, this might get posted twice)

20. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    I?m not an expert on this subject, I mean, I?ve only read timetravel fics, never written one.

But I guess that I can say this (not that I know if it is much of an advise but still), lets say if I would write that plot that was talked about earlier, to send Padmé into the future, then I guess that I would take it somewhere during AotC, not RotS simply because it would make things more interesting, like if Padmé would choose, when she came back, to continue things with Anakin. On the question about how she would get there, I would say the force, not a big surprise there, but when she would go back I think that I would chose the time when she falls of the gunship on Geonosis, that way you have the whole love confession already happen before you write, just to make things more interesting.

Well, if that didn?t help any then think characters, relations, purposes (what?s the reason for their journey, and there usually is one even if they don?t know it from the beginning)

And don?t forget to think outside the box, everything the time travellers/the non time travellers find out changes everything. Even if it means moving a stone a few meters (just don?t think to hard at that because then I know at least I would go crazy)

And now I realise that I?m letting my self get way to into this, sorry about that.

21. CrazyAni

CrazyAni Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2006
    Jedi_Liz, The only advice I can give you is to think the story arch very well over - how much do the time-travelers know about the current situation. Also, their attitude to the people who live in the era they travelled into.

Maybe, also a couple of scenes that make no sense at all, but make our fan hearts go "Awwwww!"?

And, probably a happy ending wouldn't be bad either!;)

What is your story about? :)

PS: I would think twice before listening to something that a user with the name "CrazyAni" posts. :D

22. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    The basic story: Luke and Leia go back in time to save the wor.......I mean Luke basically is feeling depressed on the 4th anniversary of Endor. The Force sends them (just him and Leia) back in time. I know this plot has been done a lot, but I hope mine turns out unique (plus, I hope the time period is fairly different than the usual). I'm writing it in between my current story, another story I am rewriting and at least one other story. Very hard work to balance. I'm writing it slowly and trying to remember things and include things.....don't want to give away the whole plot. ;)

23. CrazyAni

CrazyAni Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2006
    It sounds interesting so far! Yes, this plot bunny as been done loads of time (for example, by me :p - "Change of Fate"), but EACH story is UNIQUE! I hope it goes well. :) Just let us know if you need some help - I bet all of us will be happy to help you with another time-travel story. We have so few of them on the boards! (But I'm working hard to change it.;) )

24. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Thanks. I hope to actually finish this story.......though it may mean actually viewing one of the prequel movies for certain scenes that I might not remember (okay, its episode 2, that's all I'll say) and I need to think of fake names for Luke and Leia as well.

Time Travel is one of my favorite type (Genre?) of stories. I think this has been an idea I've had for months, but I only recently started to type it up.

25. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005

I think I should point out that the conversations are seemingly innocent, with the exception of the one where Palpatine explicitly states that he is the Sith Lord. Otherwise it's mostly just Anakin airing his complaints about the Jedi to his mentor - and given Han's anti-authoritarian streak, he might even agree whole-heartedly with what Palpatine says.

Anyway, as Juliet316 and Jedi_Liz said, it depends on which Han you're talking about. Pre-ANH, Han hasn't met Luke or Leia and has other things to worry about. Come to think of it, I don't think he finds out that Anakin = Vader = Luke&Leia's dad until after RotJ. But let's say he came from post-RotJ and knows who's related to who. And that he recognizes the two men.*

(* Well, he might not. I mean, one look at post-Windu Palpatine is enough to make you forget his previous face. And Anakin doesn't always call Palpatine by name in his conversations with him.)

My first thought is that he would try to assassinate Palpatine - the operative word being "try", of course. Most likely he'd be caught by Palpatine's bodyguards and interrogated. The worst case scenario would be Palpatine learning about future events, especially the Skywalker twins. Or more likely, they'd decide Han was a lunatic and lock him up somewhere, never to be seen again.

If he went to the Jedi, well . . . who would believe him? The Jedi Council members might feel that he's telling the truth through some deus ex machina of the Force, but I doubt he'd find one before being intercepted by someone who thinks the Council doesn't have time for a conspiracy theorist.

IMO, taking Anakin with him to the future is not an option - at least, not until Palpatine and the Empire are taken care of. And if they are taken care of, would he need to? Luke and Leia would have led entirely different lives due to Han's actions in the past.

f) "Excuse me, sir, but are you feeling well?" *edges away nervously from the madman*

But if TPM Obi believed ANH Obi, then I think the logical conclusion would be to a) have ANH Obi train Anakin and b) warn the Jedi Council about Palpatine's plans. Or maybe he'd make ANH Obi do the latter, too.

- lazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.