main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Combining the Film Forums (Revisited)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthMatter, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Certainly not. Merely blunt and also accurately reflecting the unspoken feelings of a number of people here. What you're looking for is not going to happen. Over the past couple years, you've come in here several times and briefly stirred up debate over something or other, and it dies down in relatively short order. Many people here have been catalysts for change over the years, but they've always been active members of the community they wish to affect change to (just look at ASG's successful effort to get the Sports forum created), while also being knowledgable about the JC and the aforementioned community. You are not, and so far as I know, never have been. You've been active off and on, of course, but never with much consistency (unless you're the sock of someone much more active).

So, again, please give it up. Others here almost certainly think it and I'm just vocalizing it.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So, again, please give it up. Others here almost certainly think it and I'm just vocalizing it.

I'm gonna have to agree. It just seems like every thread you make in Comms doesn't sit well with the majority of people here.

3. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Wow, it's so cute how you guys troll me, insult me, and then want ME to take YOU seriously. I will not go away, dudes. Surely, you can do better? [face_batting]

4. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Basically, the impression that I suspect most people here have is of an outsider (550 posts or so) trying to ride to the rescue of a community that does not want rescuing or much change these days (if any).

What's all this to you? You say you won't go away, and yet I wonder what compels you to stick around. I've yet to see anyone agree with you (at least today), or seen any of your previous threads amount to anything substantial. This is necessarily personal because it's entirely created and driven by you. Without you, this thread wouldn't exist. In past times, if one person didn't make a thread, someone else probably would have.

You don't appear to understand the community here at all, and seem to be little more than the object of derision, jokes and PM snickering.

5. DarthMatter

Jul 12, 2004
    Let me be clear: I find your comments VERY inappropriate. Attack my ideas all you want, or better yet, just ignore me. Your locker room tactics will not work on me, though. I know the game - you're trying to get me to do something which will get me banned, but sadly, in the process, you have eroded any possible reason for respecting you. You're setting a terrible example of a VIP. In fact, if I were an admin I'd strip you of VIP and call you out in this thread just for this one quoted comment alone, not to mention all the many attacks you've lodged at me over the years. I have been told by roo (and Sape, before he stepped down) that these ideas are worth discussing and that I am welcome in Comms. You are supposed to set an example and either listen, discuss, or just ignore and move on with your life. I just don't get why you and others have to make things so personal. Maybe it's because you don't have any ideas??

ps: I don't care one bit about what you laugh about in your PMs. The fact that you're talking about me is kinda pathetic, actually.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    One problem with your post above: You didn't respond to any points I made or questions I asked. Maybe you could try doing that, because I assure you others are thinking something similar.

Let me make it perfectly clear (again): Your ideas are unwanted, most regulars here are fine with how things are today and do not desire change. Please consider these and other aforementioned realities before posting again.

Edit: I should mention that there's nothing wrong with new ideas in and of themselves, but there's got to be some basis for those ideas, and some foundation for them. As seen in this thread and your other one, there's simply no real basis or foundation.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't think they need to be merged either, but deriding Matter doesn't help anything.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Let's stick to the topic and stay off of each other. If you have something to say, make sure it's about combining or not combining the forums. I don't want to see any more posts directed at each other personally.

I'll be honest, Matter, I see that you care about your argument and are staunch in your opinions, but I have to question where you're coming from, also. What forums do you frequent and how often do you post? Are you working in Saga to create topics that you'd like to see more of? Do you lead discussion or try to make a positive influence on the forum in the ways that you can? I see one topic that you yourself started in Saga and ironically it's asking forum regulars "what their favorite PT vs OT distinction is". That's fine and if the conversation goes well, it might be a great topic, but it seems to be totally against the type of posting you're saying you'd like to see.

I can't promise you're going to like every thread or topic in the forum, and you are welcome to help make the community a better place by being a part of it and your ideas are certainly welcome as long as they're reasonable. There isn't any interest in combining all of the movie forums and taking away the ability to post separately in the PT and OT forums from the majority of the users of those forums or the administration at this time. I've yet to hear a convincing argument other than the need to "shake things up", so to speak. This isn't one of those situations that we feel needs shaking up or changing right now. If the idea is to bring others to the movie forums or talk about how they can maybe be made better, though, we're all ears.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What I'm seeing here by the "I'm not going anywhere... I'm staying right here" posts, is that you are going to continue to argue in circles. I'm seeing blind stubbornness.

Look, not trying to be a jerk here. I'm not going to tell you to go away and never come back. What I'm saying is, your argument is falling on deaf ears because people don't agree with you. The majority does not want to see these changes.

So you can continue to argue your point over and over and over again, but why?

Just post more, and try to become a part of the community. Give it a chance... branch out. Have you posted in the television / movie sci fi forum? You will find a variety of non sw sci fi there. Take part in things instead of insisting they change. You don't appear to have given this place a chance at all. After giving things a chance, perhaps decide if this is really a place you enjoy visiting.

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I agree with KnightWriter on this issue.

11. DarthMatter

Jul 12, 2004
    harpuah, all I wanted was to have a discussion. Aside from roo and the other admins, none of these people have anything to do with the decisions of how this website is run in the first place. They're just barking at me, I guess. I definitely respect roo's management, and Sape's before he stepped down, especially since they both told me to feel welcome here, but the rest of these "jabs" are just proving most of the points I'm making, anyway - among them that groupthink takes over and cuts off rational discussion.

Further, as I've implied several times in these threads, 5 or so users hurling at me out of 235,000 online right now (assuming the stats are right), is not a "deaf ear". It's just a few vocal "power users", mainly mods and former mods, who absolutely love to attack people like me and enjoy their "power". No one here should sound so proud of what you think is some kind of "majority", and even if you could prove you had one, that it would be making the final decisions. This site is not a democracy, as so many of you modders have said again and again. You can't have your cake and eat it too, right? If it's not a democracy for me, it isn't for you.

Even if roo changed her mind in being so welcoming and the owners logged in and told me to go away, these discussions would prove useful for them. You all don't see that, because you're too busy disagreeing with me personally. From the larger point of view, this is all very instructive of what NOT to allow in a community from its mods. Hope all that helps you make sense of what I'm up to. What you assume is a defeat was never really part of a contest in the first place. It's about top-level ideas and how to manage large volume - and TF.N could do a far better job of it.

12. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    You have just broken the arrogance meter.

13. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Um, I've seen discussion on this topic. It's just discussion that's not going along with what you're suggesting.

Some of us just feel that if it's broken, don't fix it. I don't think it's a huge problem at all that these Film Forums be combined. If you're so concerned about community, you have to realize (as others have stated before) that each Film forum has its own community and combining those communities would destroy the separate communities.

14. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/master_jacen/whatsthematterlol.jpg]

what, darthmatter? what?

15. DarthMatter

Jul 12, 2004
    I think I answered your first part just above, but yes, I've started and led lots of threads in the Senate, Saga, Comms and a couple here and there. As you can tell from my post history, I'm most at home in those three forums, but I enjoy SFF, Lit and Amph, though I haven't been as active there. The PT vs OT distinction thread in Saga is as much fun as it is asking which divisive issue is the best one, and it grew out of chatting with Stryphe about that subject (that there are a lot of PT vs OT discussions). If you look in Saga, there are tons of threads about favourites and viewing orders and other ways to slice up the films. I've started and led some of them, trying to express ways of seeing the films as one. Starting that "metathread" in Saga isn't in confict with that at all, if you read it.

Further, I don't think someone has to have 5,000+ posts to be able to read or see patterns, and I lurk through far more forums and threads than I will ever actually post in. A few years ago, 3SA, Lit and Saga were very fun places to be and just reading them was exciting - of course, it was an exciting time with SW (pre ROTS, 04 DVDs). All I'm saying is that those days are in the past, and to create such excitement again on any topic you care to name there might be things to look at in terms of the "firewalling" of topics/boards here, not to mention the way this poster is being treated. You and the owners might not enact any of the ideas I suggest, but I hope we can agree that it's okay to have discussion on a discussion board.

16. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Move all discussion to Saga, delete other forums.
    Peace ensues.

17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    While I disagree with DarthMatter on the issue, I do think that this issue needs to be talked about, and I'd hate to see it ignored because somebody like DarthMatter is the only one starting discussion on it.

The fact of the matter is that the forums are slowing down. I obviously love the community here, and most of the people who post here. And I'm not a huge fan of the kind of board wide change that DarthMatter is advocating. But I think that it's really important, that as a community, we start the discussion about how we can be improving, getting more users, etc. Because while I don't think that boards like the film boards or the EUC are boring, it's quite obvious that some of them are pretty slow, compared to what they used to be. This is, of course, to be expected, as the majority of what brought most of our users here is now over (the films), and probably forever. And I, as a user, would obviously love to see the boards become more active and such. But that doesn't mean that I'm calling for board-wide change. Simply for level headed discussion on the topic. Perhaps a thread in comms, where we can discuss plans for making the boards more popular of fun or whatever, or something like that.

18. DarthMatter

Jul 12, 2004
    Thank you, Attorney and Prenn. Yes, probably a new thread would be best - once my headache goes away [face_beatup]

19. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I, for one, try to get my friends to visit here. :p It's only succeeded about three times, but I'm working on it!

I feel like this is a cause now. :p

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Ideas and discussion are always welcome. But theres a difference between bringing up an idea, having a discussion about it, then letting it go and beating a dead horse. Its great you have ideas to change things, but be that as it may change is a slow process and whether you like it or not the old mods and 'senior members' have a lot of sway. And calling KW out is not a good way to try and advance your ideas to the community. Personally, I'll discuss anything but there reaches a point where further discussion will accomplish nothing.

I disagree with you to a point here. You can't really see a trend in posting habits when a user has been here for a few years and has sub 1000 posts. Looking to see what people post in over time shows whats hot and whats not. A lot of people who have been here for a while contribute a lot to discussion and aren't going to react kindly to someone who has shown minimal interest in the boards proposing major changes. It might be a good idea to post a bit more and get more involved if you want people to seriously look at your ideas. Again this is just a suggestion.

Thats something everyone had to see coming though. Lets be honest theres going to be a lot less traffic here now that the PT is over. It may pick up some when the TV shows start but we're not going to have the huge flow of newbs we had with the PT releases. That was our big draw. Some users are brought the boards by other other aspects of the SW 'verse. That includes things like Lit (what brought me here), FanFic, or the upcoming Indy film. The slowdown was expected and honestly I don't see it affecting my posting that much. Trying to mix things up to create a buzz could have quite the backlash in my opinion. People are stuck in their ways and don't readily like change. The last thing anyone would want to do is alienate a core group of posters.

I'm in the same boat. Only had 1 friend join and stay involved.

21. DarthMatter

Jul 12, 2004
    QFT.

22. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I like how you isolated the one sentence fragment in his post that you agree with and ignored virtually every point he raised that disagrees with your stance.

For somebody so intent on having a serious debate about something you don't seem to engage in it very much. It seems to me that you simply dismiss all disagreements with you as people being close minded or "groupthinking". Because, how could somebody possibly not agree with you? Something must be wrong with their thinking, their opinions aren't as valid as yours.

DarthMatter, I know you think I am sort of terrible fiend, but what do you think is to be gained here? I mean, in 4 months are you going to up this thread again?

Also, as others have said, of course the boards are slower nowadays. That's natural. Nothing has to happen to try to change that. Less people does not equal boring, in my opinion. In fact I'd even say that I have enjoyed recent time on the JC more than I have in past years. I think it is a little nicer with less people, and in general the people who are still here are a good group. I don't see any problems. (except for the lack of the much needed pancakes and waffles forum).

23. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

I agree :p

24. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

25. DarthMatter

Jul 12, 2004
    Bandito, if you have such a problem with this thread, why are you posting in it? [face_batting]

I agreed with what Johson said and QFT'ed particularly relevant bit, not that I have to defend my posts to you. He has a small difference on how many posts gives one insight, but that doesn't disprove my points.

No, I don't think you're a fiend. I don't think of you at all. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.