main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Combining the Universes (The crossover discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, here's the question. Which elements? For example, Borg vs. Daleks or TARDIS vs. Star Destroyer? :p

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, please no fighting... it's so much more interesting to have them interact!

Well... okay. Poker game. Han Solo, Will Riker, Lando Calrissian, Jim Kirk, Mal Reynolds and oBSG Starbuck. Place your bets, people. ;)

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Mal Reynolds, hands down. The poker face of a demon!

Poker game between Leia, Amy Pond, the Borg Queen and Sam Carter?

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    ST fire power would beat SW for power and faster-than-light travel. SW ships go into hyperspace to travel long distances. They do all their fighting sub-light. But an ST starship can fight faster-than-light at warp speed, Phasers at warp speed would beat sub-light blasters any time.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay maybe I wasn't very specific there. Here are 3 basic ones to work with:
    SW/ST: Enterprise E and Imperial II class Star Destroyer
    ST/Doctor Who: Dalek vs Borg (thanks for the idea DarthIshtar)
    SW/Stargate: ISD and Aurora class.
    And there will be a fourth one, but that one can be anything any one wants.
    And I agree with Striker that it is more fun to have them interact (and more funny) but I am doing this discussion to gauge what people like, and their opinons on some different SciFi's thats all. Oh and I think Han would win a poker match, because of something you can not evaluate; Luck pure and simple. I will put my ideas for the wins later on, I don't have time to do them right now.

6. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'd like to see Vipers from new Battlestar Galactica against TIE fighters. Then again, I've been trying to write that crossover for a long time.

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Sigh* I've seen entire forums go down in flame wars over SW vs ST. It can get vicious, too. I'll only comment on one...

Borg vs. Daleks-Classic series Daleks, barring time travel, are hosed. Their casings can be breached by mid 20th-century ordinance, are slow, awkward and until 'Remembrance', couldn't levitate IIRC. New Who, they're a lot more powerful... but there are a lot less of them, and Borg are more advanced than Pete's World-class Cybermen. ;)

Also, Kirk had the luck generator implanted, so he'd win. ;) But forget about who'd win-the banter would be gold.

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Kirk had a luck generator?

I want one of those... :_|

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Well...

In a Starfleet Corps of Engineers novel, the USS da Vinci runs across a ship powered by what can only be an infinite improbability drive. And yes, they reference 'Hitchhikers'. :D

10. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Ah, Sliders! That brings back fond memories of sitting on the couch with my siblings and yelling "Veeeeeeer-nooooo!" whenever Jerry O'Connell was onscreen. Good times.

Who would win in a dance off: Picard or Obi-Wan?

11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Which kind of dancing? Ballroom or Salsa?

12. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    Crossovers! [face_love] I love crossovers. And am totally late to this thread! In terms of Star Wars crossovers, my favorite is Frostfyre7's Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan. I don't know if it's up here, though. Never in a million years would I have thought Sherlock Holmes would work with Star Wars, but as someone mentioned earlier, the GFFA is so vast you can drop almost anything into it. The trick is making it work well - and then enjoying the new perspectives and interactions.

And Picard would totally trounce Obi-Wan in a waltz, but salsa? Obi-Wan. :D

Also, since I'm always looking for good crossovers - anyone have links to some of the fics mentioned in here?? [face_love]

13. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Sure. :) (This is way easier now that we can use google. Seriously.)

Gods of Dark and Light by Darth Marrs: http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/24501664/p1

Wrong Turn at Nantucket by DarthIshtar: http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_fan_fiction/b10808/28818559/p1/

High Communication by DarthIshtar: http://boards.theforce.net/a/b10476/26401870/

Blue Sun Down (Firefly/SW) by Darth Marrs: http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/27764306/p1/?2

Everbody Lies (House/SW) by LilyHobbitJedi: http://boards.theforce.net/a/b10476/28032689/

All Safe Places (SW/Winnie the Pooh) by MsLanna: http://boards.theforce.net/a/b10476/27321432

Unleashed! (Star Trek/SW) by Jade_Max_and_Brentus: http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/27946871/p1

Three New Sailor Senshi (Sailor Moon/SW) by Rk_Striker_JK_5: http://boards.theforce.net/Boards/Message.aspx?topic=23781443&brd=10477

Decepticus Rex (Transformers/SW: NJO) by RK_Striker_JK_5: http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/21177744/

14. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Another good SW/ST (the new movie cast) crossover is currently being posted on Before the Saga, called Crossroads of the Force..

http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/30532698/p1/?91

Also, on FF by cathypauline is an excellent story "Seekers" which is not a crossover but it's sequel "Ward" is, an excellent SW/ST the next gen. cast crossover. Check it out if you can. I don't know if these stories are over here or not, I haven't found them yet.

15. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    If anyone has any ideas on where to find where other World of Warcraft/SW crossovers have been done, I'd be much obliged.

I'm trying to work on one where, in essence, Arthas manages to tear into the fabric of the universe enough to grab Vader and possibly Padme and raise them as his minions, and... well, it does sound a bit ridiculous summarized, doesn't it? Oh dear.

What I'm struggling with right now is the cast of characters on the Warcraft side of things. I feel like I am truly terrible at characterizing the major players in lore (such as Thrall), and that even as the Dragonqueen's Champion, Luke probably won't be getting the time of day from them anyway, at least not on a day to day basis. The characters I AM comfortable writing are... well, my own characters. Given that it's a crossover with an MMO setting I feel this isn't as ludicrous as possible, but I'm still not sure how to approach it. There's just so much potential for, well... tackiness. It'll be fun as hell to write, of course, but that's because almost all of my characters are goofballs (I share my username with my main character, a perpetually drunk and unwashed night elf who makes her pet wolf squeaky toys of every opponent they face - so there will of course be a squeaky Vader plushie - and there's others like a blood elf warlock who uses the soul shards of his opponents to flavor his cupcakes...).

Or is the crossover mini-genre really the potential to just go 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead'?

(I suppose what I'm really asking is, how do you populate the universe you're crossing into with OCs? Any tips/thoughts?)

I have written a bit of it already - the 'epilogue' is actually what I've written first, so if you want some Mara Jade as a death knight, the link is in my profile.

16. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Oh squee! Thank you for all the links and recs! Hm, can't think of a better way to spend a snowy Sunday. :D

Though a question...what's the oddest crossover you've ever read...something you thought couldn't possibly work...but turned out to be really good? [face_love]

17. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Oh, and one of the most unusual crossovers I've seen is an unfinished fic on ff.n crossover between SW and Shallow Grave. Young adult padawan Obi-Wan is sent solo on a observation mission to EArth. He lands in Scotland where he is attacked by Xanatos (of all people)and he wakes up in a hospital with no memory of who he is or where he comes from. He then lives the events of Shallow Grave, and it's so many months later he basically a drunk and depressed, and thats when Qui-Gon arrives in the area to find Obi-Wan. when he does, Obi-Wan has no memory of him, but has been having nightmares about his previous life. He's scared and doesn't understand them...and thats basically where it ended..unfinished. I was very disappointed...:( Oh, and theres a bit of a third crossover in it from Highlander...very interesing story..ah well...[face_worried]

18. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    iceaffinity: Ha-ha! I didn't know it but my last post is an answer you your last post!!:D

19. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Oddest crossover that worked? An Animorphs/Sailor Moon story with extra senshi... it worked, there was a body count, and I have no idea what it was called.

Other odd crossover that worked: a Yorodien Samauri Troppers/Buffy the Vampire Slayer story called Too Much at Stake. (In the US, YST is called Ronin Warriors.)

20. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    obimom - [face_laugh] I thought your response came in fast!

And Sailor Moon/Animorphs? lol, SM gets crossed over with everything, eventually....

21. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Yes... including Batman. Never have found the Non-MSTed version of that one...

22. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well since the last discussion got no takers, and since I have a block on thinking of others, I will just let you discuss whatever you want (not that I could stop anyone, but since I am the manager (for lack of a better term) of this thread I have to say it). Oh and on the current one (the weird crossover one) I have seen quite a few on Fanfiction. I don't tend to read them, but the wierdest I've read that worked was Devil May Cry/SW. It was interesting to say the least (and before anyone asks I don't know the name of it).

23. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Devil May Cry/Star Wars sounds awesome. Definately something I would read.

I posted the first part of a Star Wars/Vampire story the other day. Would it count as a crossover? The Vampires aren't from any particular series, though. I just used the fanged theme for the Jedi.

24. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    The DMC/SW one was awesome (I wish I remembered what it was called). And as far as your story being a crossover, it really depends on your point of view. For example, you may not have crossover over from a particualar series, but to my knowledge there are no vampires in the GFFA, so it (in my view at least) is a crossover.

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Ah, crossovers... good times, good times.

I've written a few here and there. The first one I ever did was a strange, eclectic thing that was a really weird mixture of characters from all of my favourite fandoms. I highly suggest that no one tries to put Han, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, Sirius Black, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabetj Swann, Rose Tyler and the 10th Doctor in the same scene all at once. It gives one a headache. :p

I started a crossover several years back that was HP/SW - I really enjoyed putting Jaina, Jacen and Anakin at Hogwarts, but unfortunately I lost the inspiration for the story and an entire series went unfinished. The hardest thing about HP/SW crossovers, I think, is the fact that you have to figure out the balance between the Force and magic, if you're using Jedi characters. Are they the same thing, or not? Can Jedi do magic? Can wizards use the Force? Most HP/SW crossovers I've read usually take the stance that they are the same thing, just different forms, but I tried to deviate from that and found it really difficult when I wanted my young Jedi Knights to be able to use magic, but not to have the wizards and witches capable of using the Force.

Recently, I've kind of fallen out of writing Star Wars fanfic (I'm practically living in NSWFF right now). Harry Potter crossovers are still really enjoyable to write, and I've had a lot of fun mixing the Potterverse with Doctor Who (which is just always a lot of fun :p ) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.