main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Combining the Universes (The crossover discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, perhaps 'merging' is a better word, but not parody. It's really the only way I can see shows like the A-Team, Macgyver, Knight Rider or others being viable. Adapt certain characteristics, but keep them the same.

EDIT:
    Thanks, iceaffinity. :) You did a good job with your fic, there.

2. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    As I said, a "merging" crossover works if you keep the details of the characters as close as possible. Names are a must, as are relationships and personalities. Anything changed that doesn't need to be diminishes the stories identity as a crossover, but if you change the names, then it ceases to be one altogether, and yes, parody is an acceptable word to describe it. Think of it this way. Imagine you're playing some video game set on a fantasy world with elves and orcs and whatevers. You meet a character who's clearly, blatantly based on Indiana Jones. But he's called Harrison Jones instead. That's not a crossover; he's an Indiana Jones parody. Well, the same's true when you're writing it.

3. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    A parody can mean "a feeble imitation" but for the most part, it usually involves some sort of mockery, humor or satire. Having a random Indiana Jones would probably only be 'parody' if he was there in some kind of comic function.

Peronally, I'd call a character who's obviously Indy but not called Indy "rip off" before I'd call him a parody (unless he's there in a satirical function). :D (Look, it's Illinois Smith!)

It's all in your interpretation of the definition of "parody". ;) Also, I always thought the "merging" type of crossover you're describing was called a "fusion"? Since two universes have been fused together?

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Parody is correct only if it is a parody. My Aurek Team idea could be played relatively straight and, therefore, would not be a parody. And although merging would be a more correct term, the elements would be crossed over, so to speak.

Yeah, keep them as close as possible, but some elements would have to be changed. For the A-Team, it'd be the only really viable option.

5. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Yes, some elements must be changed. Vietnam becomes the Clone Wars, the U.S. Army becomes the Imperial one, and the van becomes a red-and-black spaceship. Otherwise, keep it the bloody same. The moment they aren't Hannibal, B.A., Templeton, and Murdock, they aren't the A-Team, and I would be one offended reader if I opened up something billed as an A-Team fic and found a bunch of other characters instead.

And Ice, NEVER use the R-word around me. EVER.

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, I think we;re talking across each other. That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. So... yeah.

7. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Iceaffinity, I just read your story and it's great. :)

Well, for me to write, the sillier the better. Like Teletubbies/The Ring. But maybe that's just me needing to get my head checked. :D

I guess it mostly depends on what kind of genre you're going for. Star Trek/Star Wars works well for action/adventure fics (loved Striker's "Where No Jedi Has Gone Before")... oh wait, we're talking about non-SW. Hm.

Star Trek/Pirates of the Carribean crossover due to Holodeck malfunction? That would be fun. :)

Romance might be tough because it's awfully easy to veer into Mary Sue territory. Though I'd love to see a Twilight/Big Love romance.... I guess I just want to see one of Bill's wives leave him for a vampire.

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I have to say that Sherlock/Doctor Who makes for amazing crossovers. [face_peace] The two characters are quite similar in certain ways, and it's just so amusing to see the 21st century Sherlock puzzle over things like the TARDIS and why on earth anyone in their right mind would wear a fez and a bow-tie at the same time. :p ;)

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Didn't you know? Sherlock is a fob-watched Time Lord. ;)

10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    You could use Sliders to crossover with about anything. Slide into a parrallel universe and you might meet an SG team. Or a world with Vampires. Or a world with aliens bent on devouring humans. Who knows? But there's definately a lot of potential there.

11. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    [face_blush] Aw, thank you. Also for the comment over in the story itself. [face_love]

I also like your suggestion with Star Trek and the holodeck. They've done quasi-'crossovers' with Sherlock Holmes before, why not use it for Pirates of the Caribbean...or any other series for that matter?

As for the 'most fun things to cross over'...things you don't expect to mesh well, but somehow manage to. Maybe that's an overly simplistic answer though.

And Idrelle...there are Sherlock/Doctor Who crossovers? [face_dancing] I must find these...I just saw Sherlock for the first time a couple weeks ago. Awesome.

12. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Wow... 10 since the last time I checked. I got a little lost with the argument over merging or parody, but I don't have an opinon either way so...
    In anycase here is a new challenge. Now this one isn't offically up yet, just knowing what happened to my last one, I am putting this here so people can look at it and tell me anything that needs changing (you know who you are:p, just kidding). So in other words don't actually do the challenge yet, just let me know if anything needs changing so I can do it.

Crossover Star Wars and any one of these four other media. Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, or Lost are the ones you can use (notice Star Trek is not in here, that's because it has been done to death honestly). They need to be a least a paragraph long, and have at least a little comedy at some point.

Like I said just let me know if anything needs to be changed, and don't actually do the challenge yet.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yeah, Mira_Jade wrote one as part of a series of Sherlock ficlets. :)

NSWFF has a whole bunch of interesting gems like that. :D [/shameless NSWFF promotion]

And Strike - you know, I could believe that. [face_laugh]

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd love to take credit for it... but I got the theory here. Although I'll quote the passage that gets me legit teary eyed...

Although I came up with the theory that Susan Foreman, the Doctor's granddaughter, eventually regenerates and becomes Sailor Pluto from Sailor Moon. :D

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh dear, TV tropes. Always good for... well, for pretty much anything. :p

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, we'll be hearing again from Idrelle in about a week or two. :p

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay, since the discussions are dying down again (and I don't have any ideas for new ones at the moment) lets do this.
    Anyone who has an idea for a discussion please PM me and I will see if I like it or not, and if I get more than one I will use them all at one point or another okay? Just please don't let this thread die like the last one please.

18. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 26, 2010
    Just noticed this thread last night, but didn't get around to replying to it.

I think crossovers can be fun, but I usually don't like the ones that are based around "My franchise is cooler than your franchise and can kick its butt" premise.

One of the very earliest fanfics I ever wrote (could have even been my first one) was a Star Wars/Transformers crossover. Who knew twenty-some-odd years later that Hasbro who have the same ideal :lol:

The one I'm working on name, sort of the origin point for my current / new online nick', is a Doctor Who/Star Wars/Transformers (maybe) sort; maybe a dash of Star Trek thrown in for good measure. Though, in all honesty, I'm not taking it too serious; it's a too over-the-top premise to take deadpan serious.

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Unfortunately, sometimes readers can get like that. I'm sure that if any of you post of fanfiction.net, you know all about the lovely assortment of readers you can pick up. A few years back when I was trying to write a Star Wars/Harry Potter crossover where the Solo kids were immersed in the Hogwarts environment, I kept picking up readers who loved Star Wars, hated Harry Potter, and kept trying to give me "suggestions" on how to have the GFFA kick the Harry Potter 'verse in the butt. And when I didn't pay attention to said "suggestions", I just ended up with a series of flames.

'Twas not fun.

I do admit that in certain circumstances, crossovers can be used to effectively parody a franchise that you may not particularly be fond of. I did that once, using characters from Harry Potter to ridicule certain elements of Twilight because the "Cedric Diggory meeting Edward Cullen" scenario was too much fun to pass. [face_whistling] :p

20. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 26, 2010
    I write fic largely for fun-- only recently started wanting to share it with others. If it stopped being fun, I'd probably just walk away from a fic. Then again, tend not to take to much of it overly seriously. ~shrug~

I think I got one I scratched out a while bag while having to listen to the kids play Thomas The Tank Engine and Theodore Tugboat on the DVD over and over again. Basically: Those type of shows happen in the same 'verse and it was the equivalent of Transformers h**l. I'll admit to a certain..."joy" of having Galvatron fusion-blast Edward The Train in the face and Starscream null ray Jay-Jay The Jet plane :lol:

21. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well no one gave any ideas on a discussion so I will do this... if you have an idea for a crossover how would you write it. As in, if you were to write one, would it be humour, action, romance, etc.
    I hope this will work, and my offer for other people to help is still there.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I think we've got a topic, Skywalker T-65. ;)

Anyway... fights between the two or more series. It can work, but most of the time the good guys fighting in the beginning is rather contrived. I did have Sailor Pluto attack the SW characters when they landed on Earth in my Sailor Moon/SW crossover, but that's in character for her. That's what a lot of people forget.

Are there characters that in raw power would dominate the SW universe? Oh, yeah. But... for the good guys at least, why would they? What gain would receive?

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Hmmm... only one reply eh. Oh well, since the discussion still has no takers I will do this. This plot bunny has popped up lately so I thought I would see what you guy's think. I had this idea... you know how in the NJO (hate it by the way) the Chiss help the Imperial Remmnant? Well what if there was another faction in the unkown regions (centered on Earth) that helped the Rebels? I haven't decided exactly which SciFi I will crossover with yet but I do have two things thought up. One is a weapon that helps keep my region independent, a Positron Cannon (from SEED). The reason being shields use charged electron's, and what happens when positrons (or any other anti-matter type) hit electrons (or other matter)? Big explosion is what. I'm not saying that would be enough to destroy a SD but it would at least take out the shield if nothing else. The other thing I have decided on is a name. The Sol Confederacy, since that is all I can think up at this point. Well do any of you like the idea, or would read the story if I posted it (which I won't unless someone is willing to read it).

24. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Looks like there are a few questions floating around, so here it goes...

I'll get around to reading whatever gets posted in this thread. :)

As for what kind of genres I will write my crossovers in, I'm a pretty silly person and every crossover idea I've come up with has some sort of parody element to it. I'm most comfortable writing humour in general, though.

And to add to the whole "my fandom can kick your fandom's butt" debate... well, I can see how those sorts of crossovers can be fun and why people like them. They're not usually my thing because they tend to be all about the weapons and technology, and I'd rather read a story with a heavier emphasis on characterization. That said, a battle between Thomas the Tank Engine and the Transformers sounds hilarious.

25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    What just one so far? I've been gone for a week and I only get one?! I mean really has everyone forgotten this thread exists? I have the first chapter and a half of my story written but I won't post it until I have more people offer to read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.