main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Combining the Universes (The crossover discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Skywalker_T-65, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about the thread dying, Skywalker_T-65. :) I think the addition of the Non-SW FanFic board is keeping interest in other fandoms alive around here.

My pet peeves about crossovers are pretty much the same... I don't like having to suspend my disbelief too far, and I hate it when a story doesn't make any attempt to make the mix make any sense.

My favourite crossovers are the ones that shouldn't make any sense but manage to pull it off... like, say, a Thomas the Tank Engine and Transformers crossover. :D

Would anyone else be up for a fandom roulette challenge? I think that would be a blast.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm up for it! But you would have to set it up since I would have no idea what to do.

3. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I may be up for it, though I find crossing things with SW the easiest, and I don't know very many fandoms well enough to write about them. But I can give it a go!

Be warned, though, that if the spinner lands on something like SW/Harry Potter, you may find me going "Oooh, an excuse to finally write that thing..." and you'll be up to your ears in Skywalker the Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher and Snape double-triple-quadrouple crossing people for the fun of it and Voldemort swinging a lightsaber while Vader gets a good laugh out of the spectacle.

4. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    [face_laugh] Well thats one of the more... interesting ideas I have seen. Well for your sake I hope it doesn't (or does depending on how much you want to write that).

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay, since I don't know how to do a roulette challenge, would anyone offer to help me out here. I can get one set up soon (hopefully) if someone is willing to help me do it.

6. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay, I'm upping this in the hope that someone will actually offer to help me do a new challenge.

7. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay, just to let people know, I live in Joplin, MO the town that was hit by that tornado Sunday (I'm fine and so is my house), so I won't have access to a computer any where near as much as I used to for quite a while. So if anyone wants to manage the thread until we are back on our feet, feel free to do so. I will be back to manage as soon as my internet is back up at home.

8. Chortles

Chortles Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2011
    I must admit, as soon as I saw this I IMMEDIATELY went to check out the story... admittedly, I was expecting a more overt crossover or parallel with RTK ("Must... click... on Star Wars/Three Kingdoms crossover!") but I'm not complaining.

9. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    I wish I could help with that, but I don't have internet at home either (no disaster except for my crappy financial planning :p )

I'm glad you and your family are doing okay.[:D]

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I like to think that all the major sci-fi franchises take place in the satellite galaxies of the SW galaxy, especially considering Taung, Predators and Halo Elites all look the same.

I'm also tempted to tie in Sharu Pyramids with the Gua'old, and to equate the Celestials with the Ancients/Ori in Stargate and the Forerunners in Halo. I'd be tempted to retcon those surviving ancient elements from Babylon 5 as survivors from whatever disaster wiped out the Celestials, with the two main survivors being those which fought the Shadow War.

And so forth.

Serenity, for example, slots perfectly into Star Wars if you assume Mal fought for the Corellian-led Confederation, and the GA becomes led by a Parliament and is just as evil as one expects by the time the TV series starts, eight years after the wars end.

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Makes it rather small, wouldn't you say? I'm sorry, but I don't cotton to that idea. It's too small for me, marginalizes and makes the other non-SW properties less important. I hate doing that in crossovers. It must be give and take.

I hope you're doing all right, Skywalker_T-65. [:D]

12. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm doing okay. My internet is back up, but my computer died.[face_frustrated] So I can only be on, once maybe twice a week at my library. So I can still manage the thread, but I need discussion ideas, and help with setting up a roulette challenge.

13. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Upping the thread so it doesn't die.

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    All right.

Here's numbers between one and ten. Pick a number. In one week from tomorrow I shall PM you with the name of a non-SW character and a link to info about him/her/it.

1.Lilith Demodae
    3.RX_Sith
    7. Tarsier
    8. Skywalker_T-65

Your mission is to write a dialogue between that character and any SW character you choose. BUT there must be NO physical confrontation between them. None at all. Instead focus on the dialogue, their points of view, what they know and don't know.

This is for fun, mind you. No winners.

15. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I'm game! I'll take number 7.

Don't you mean we're ALL winners, just for playing? :p

16. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I guess I can take number 8, though I might not be able to post anything soon.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, two have taken the dare. Who's next? Come on, don't be shy! :D Although you never know who you'll get...

Victor Von Doom?

Princess Celestia?

Jean-Luc Picard?

Megatron?

Papa Smurf?!

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay I'm gonna let this run for until Tuesday night...

19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I'll try out number 3 please.

20. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I'll take number 1

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, some more victims-I mean volunteers. :D

And I'll send out PMs on Friday instead of Tuesday.

22. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I got my PM with a character - thanks Striker!

A couple questions: 1) Is there a deadline for submitting a response to the challenge? 2) Are you going to play, Striker? If so, do you want one of us to pick a number or a character for you?

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    No deadline, Tarsier. As in fact, if people want to join, there's still slots open! As for me... no. I made a bet not to write crossovers with one exception on my birthday.

24. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well I have a new story posted, Return of the Exiles. It is a Gundam/SW so I don't expect many reviews, but being as this is my thread I felt I should let you guys (and gals) know. As far as the challenge goes, I am about a third of the way done with mine.

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Sounds good. :D And remember, lurkers. There are still slots open! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.