main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Come join us for a fun summer picnic !!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Fellow Sci Fi/Fantasy Fans!

You are invited to join us at the Tenth Annual Star Trek Olympics in Rochester, NY, sponsored by the USS Tranquility. All clubs and Science Fiction fans are welcome to join us.

The Olympics will be held on August 10th, 2003 at the Acorn Shelter at Durand-Eastman Park in Rochester, NY. Games will be held in the spirit of Star Trek, each awarding a Bronze, Silver, and Gold medal. Over the years we feel we have found a good mix of events that are enjoyable for everyone. We hope everyone will participate and compete for the Gold! A handbook will be provided to everyone at sign-in explaining each event and it's rules.

This year's meal will be hamburgers and hot dogs. Water and other drinks will be readily available throughout the event, and a vegetarian meal will be available with advance registration. The main dish and drinks are covered in each individual's registration fee. Alcohol is not allowed in the park by county ordinance. There will be plenty of room so bring your family and friends! We are asking everyone to bring a dish to pass to add a bit of variety to our table. It could be a side dish, dessert or snack food.

The registration fee is $2.50 a person, $1.50 for children under twelve. The registration fees will help pay for the food, refreshments and the site rental.

If you would like to register or have questions regarding the event please feel free to drop us a line at olympics@usstranquility.com and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

We hope to see you there!

2. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    email sent 6-29-03

Hope to get more info soon

Dave

3. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Ok everyone - I got an email from Nicky and here are the details from the email:

"Thanks for writing!
    Here are the answers to your questions:

1 - This is not a costume event. It is more of a get together with a cook out and outdoor games. We do encourage people to
    wear club t-shirts or a t-shirt from their favorite sci-fi/fantasy show/movie. Although, don't wear something priceless if you intend to
    compete in the games, just in case it gets dirty.

2 - You can pay the registration fee when you sign in at the Olympics itself. You don't need to pay in advance.

3 - So far the only sign up list I have is a collection of emailed in RSVPs. We are working on getting something on the website to RSVP
    online, but haven't gotten that set-up yet. So, you could email me names as you get them or compile a list and email it to me by July 31st.
    Along with names I would also need to know food preference (i.e. hot dog, hamburger, cheeseburger or veggie ham/cheeseburger).

If you are interesting in attending the Olympic planning meeting, let me know. It will be held July 20th.
    We'll primarily be discussing what Olympic games to have. Right now we only have Star Trek themed games, but we'd like to diversify.
    If you can think of any games with a Star Wars theme, email me or bring your ideas to the planning meeting.

Thanks so much! We look forward to having you all at the picnic."

Well - there you have it.

If we decide we want to go to this we will need to reschedule our own bbq party - being this is on Sunday August 10th, maybe we can do our bbq on Saturday August 9th - this way we can turn the weekend into a non stop party.....

Let me know what you guys want to do - I would like to have at least 1 person from our group on the planning committee. I will go with whoever wants to be our planning person to help out.

Later

Dave

4. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    August 9th is bad for me.....got an all-day picnic that day.

5. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    so guess the real question is - on the 10th do we want to do our bbq that we have been planning or do we want to go to this Olympics bbq??

Dave

6. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002

Being as I'm not much of a trekkie myself...I wouldn't mind keeping our picnic the same day. (And I do realize it's not going to be just ST people there...)

7. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I'm not sure when you guys are having your bbq, but we're starting ours at 12PM (and probably ending just before dinner). I thought maybe if you were doing yours in the evening that maybe some people could attend both.

Just a thought...
    Nicky

8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Well, I personally do not care about the Star Trek Thing either, but if a lot of our people would choose to go to it instead of our BBQ on the same day, we should probably do our thing another day. I think that makes sense. Anyway ultimately its up to Dave and Niki I guess, since its there house.

9. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    Actually it is up to our members not my wife or I................

and so far it is 4-0 in favor of our own bbq

I will update this nightly and our members will decide what they want to do

Dave

10. TheForceChoke

TheForceChoke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2003
    I dont like ST at all just to let you all know. I thought true SW fans cant like ST just Jokeing. I may go to the BBq, but have no intentions of going to the ST event.

Andrew

11. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    hey guys - lets keep our personal feelings out of this and just answer the question at hand

Which event do you want to go to?

No lengthy explanation is needed - if you need to talk about it feel free to IM or PM me

Thanks

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.