main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Come on then, you Liverpool fans!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Newcastle should be doing better than they are as well as should Liverpool

However you saying that Man Utd fans are disgruntled at Chelsea for the comprehensive way they won the title last year when they should be grumbling about Arsenal as well.

Arsenal did just as badly as Man Utd last year Chelsea walked away with it.

Tactics play a major role in a teams performance and Fergie has been getting it wrong recently.
    Wenger hasn't found a replacement for Vieria

however all teams will state that if you lose a major player that they can be irreplacable as your cover is usually someone of a lesser quality. This is not the case at Chelsea as they have BOUGHT player of similar or equal quality as cover.

No other club can afford to do that.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    No they didn't. Arsenal finished above Man U, for the 2nd year in a row. That's my point

Thank you. Yes, I think he has as well. Man U should be doing better than they are

This is a valid point, but Man U are quite close. Their subs bendh is normally pretty good. This reminds me of something Gary Neville said today on Sky "All we can do is hope Chelsea lose points or a few of their players are injured".

He said on live TV that he hopes other people get injured?? Now that's real sportsmanship :rolleyes: What about hoping that your own team plays better?

3. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Arsenal finished above Man Utd but were still waaaaaaaay behind Chelsea

I agree that Neville wasen't very sportsman like however if you look at Man Utd's injury list from last week they were left in a situation where they had 2 recognised centrehalf's an inexperienced right back and a winger playing left back. Now after Fergie winning with kids it should be safe to assume that Bardsley is a competant defender (he certainly looks like he will be good) but they were left glaringly short at left back.

Chelsea can lose 3 left backs and they would still have cover in the squad before they have to look at the youth ranks

Man Utd. lose 2 and they're screwed and god forbid Cole gets injured for arsenal

4. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Well losing 4-1 was kinda humiliating and for the first time in my life I'm glad I wasn't able to get tickets for a game. But I'm not gunna do a United and suddenly turn on the players and the manager. So I say this:

What Chelsea fans have only dreamed of, Liverpool have achieved!

You'll Never Walk Alone!

5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Please forgive my earlier markups LOL!

Yes, Man U's current defence situation is very unfortunate.

But last year, we were left with no left backs for the 2nd half of the season. Yes we still had strong defenders in the squad, but the players were still out of position.

I think the trend of this thread has moved on from Chelsea's success and squad, and onto the competitor's squads and faults.

I am the first to admit that if it weren't for Abramovich, we wouldn't be in the current position. I think we'd be pushing for it, as Chelsea were getting better (which is why we got through to the Champions League before Abramovich and under Ranieri), but there also has to be a reason why at the moment, no other teams are challenging. You don't expect teams like Man U and Arsenal to be getting the results they have been, so supporters of those teams need to look closer to home, rather than apportioning blame elsewhere.

6. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Quite a few times as well now.

However your performance in the league last season was not a European winning teams performance.

I did however support you in your quest to defend your trophy as I feel that the winners of any trophy should automatically be entered the following year whether they qualified through normal means or not.

You have to be able to defend what you have won.

EDIT:

Hal if Man Utd stck with the tried and true 4-4-2 (with wingers) then they will start moving up the table however if Fergie starts Dicking around again then they're screwed.

Man Utd best team is
    Van Der Sar, Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Heinze (O'Shea to cover injury) Ronaldo, Scholes, Keane (Smith) Giggs (Ji Sung). Rooney. Van Nistelrooy

And it has to be 4-4-2

To be honest I couldn't tell you Chelsea bext team simply because you have too many players all I would say is that it would have Lampard, Duff, Terry and Cech as definates the rest are all interchangeable

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I was cheering my arse off when Liverpool beat Milan. I support all British teams in Europe unless they're playing Chelsea. It truly was a great night, and you should be deservedly proud :)

8. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    There is going to be some grim faces in work tomorrow lol. I think I'll be quiet, give em some reprieve.

So - Grimsby vs Newcastle? Chances of the Mariners whooping some? I hope so :D It's time for the premiership to understand the true meaning of fishy fear. And maybe after that we'll do the same to Liverpool. I better get my best voodoo kit out, and weave some magic.

9. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    Why? If we beat you 4-1 I would have done much worst. :p

10. Villa_Fan

Villa_Fan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/fullmulletalchemist/nelson_ha_ha.jpg]

11. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/fullmulletalchemist/nelson_ha_ha.jpg]

2-3!

12. Villa_Fan

Villa_Fan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    yeah, but we aren`t "european champions" ;)

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Given this weekend's performances, I'd give Grimsby more than a fair chance against Newcastle.

Then again, this is Newcastle's only realistic trophy chance, so who knows what team they'll put out. Can't see them sending Owen down here though.

Come on the Mariners!

14. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    Yeah! well... erm... we beat you! ;) Try coimg back from that! :cool: [face_worried]

15. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    sunderland...battered westbrom and wham! but in both games we get 1 point...aaarrgghh!!11one

i hate this league grr..

16. JONJEDI

Nov 11, 2002
    I love Sunderland in the prem, they seem to be the only team we are capable of actually beating.

17. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    AAARRRGGHHH!!!

you only beat us by a set piece!!!

18. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    When did i say that? You seem to have gotten me mixed up with some Man U (probably now Chelsea) glory hunter who jumped on the success bandwagon. and expect success every season. I am very realistic about my team and I see a midfield that was once the best in the premierhsip crumbling- and its gonna be hard to replace overnight. I've seen Beckham go and watched Giggs lose that special something that terrorised defences. I have seen Scholes just lose his quick thinking, control and ability to pick out the perfect pass. And now Keane is past it (no if's or buts- he is) and at this minute there is no replacement (Smith is not up to it- I prefer him as a striker). This is a massive transition that might never happen- as I realise that nothing lasts forever. Yes, we have had 'transition' periods before with wee tweaks here and there sorting them out. I can remember back to the bleak 80's when two fa cups was all we could muster- and know these times could easily return.

So where have i blamed Chelsea's money for United's lack of success? It seems its plain to see that its going to be a one horse race this year- and probably the next and so on. Which is boring- I even said in '01 that it was boring when United won the league by 18 points (if you had known me then you would have known i said it)- the excitement of the 99 league was gone. ANd now its going the same way. Its just seems (from recent league standings) that if ya even lose one match or more then the league is over for ya.

19. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I thought I read somewhere today Owen may be injured, so you never know - Grimsby may not have to face him.

I was on the Grimsby website last week, I am very close to buying a shirt (probably not a kit one tho) so I can wear at work each time the day after they get a win :D

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    United are in transition, their older once great players are moving on and the new ones are coming in and need time to develop.

Give them a 2 or 3 seasons and they'll be back to where they were

United's current problem is lack of decent signings and replacements. Smith is a striker not a defensive midfielder, and Fergie was foolish to sell the other to perfectly good DFs he had (Butt & P Neville). So now when Keane leaves there willbe no-one but Smith whos no good there.
    United have decent wingers and Midfield, but this new formation Queiroz has brought in put Rooney on the wing rather then Giggs or Park. Rooney is better alongside or tucked behind Van Nistlerooy

Arsenal have totally lost the plot this season. It amazed me that they finished above United last season even though they lost more games and got beaten twice by United

Chelsea deserve to be the leaders. But I want to see them stopped. They haven't got the greatest defenders in the world but yet it still seems impossible to score against them half the time.

The key is Makelele, if he got injured then Chelsea's forunes would change.

21. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002

lol i stopped reading after that.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I do however think its very unfiar for Fergie to be blamed for United's current situation. Its obvious hes lost control of the team and lets Queiroz do everything. He needs to make a stand and show him whos boss

That and he needs to start talking to the media more and not avoiing them just cos they made one comment that annoyed him

And its not his fault that Chelsea stole the decent Cheif Executive and that Mclaren left, or that their replacements are rubbish :p

23. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Well Grimsby could do it, I am going to be at maccas testimonial tomorrow (over 700 games for the club now, probably the last ever pro to give that sort of service) and then wycombe game, and then I will be getting my Newcastle ticket. I now have a shirt with 'BARON - 7'.

And as for the game today...well...we lost. The scoreline is a little bit of an injustice as I don't feel we played that badly, in fact a lot of the game I felt we was on top and reduced Chelsea to the long ball game for long periods. The problem was we made four mistakes, and we were punished for them, which is why Chelsea are currently the best side in England. The reason they are so hard to beat is they have a solid defence and a great tatical approach, add to this a squad that is huge and of great quality, it gives you little wonder.

I do feel however that this is not going to be the final word in this new rivalry. Liverpool have some way to go yet, but under Bentiez we have improved massivly. He is a brilliant coach, no matter what Hal says, he has done wonders for the club. His decisions have not really gone to far wrong, outplaying Chelsea in midweek, and other the defencive frailties this game we played well, but rafa has pointed out and tried to sign a centre back, and we do need a right winger, he knows what we need. The insistance to play Crouch up front alone though is strange. I was very worried when we signed him, and still not utterly convinced, although he has shown he isn't as bad as I first expected, but to be a lone striker is not something he can do. I still think that within a few years the top 2 rivalry will be between Liverpool and Chelsea, because despite today we have shown that we are a team that are able to keep causing them problems.

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Apologies TK

The topics in this thread changed more rapidly than I had anticipated. At the time of our "debate", I was talking about the reasons other teams weren't doing as well as they should, and you replied to an earlier point, and I mistook that for talking about the other thing

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Still thinking about what Gary Neville said, and getting more wound up about it. Rodney Marsh was sacked for making an ill-timed joke, and Gary Neville says on live TV that he hopes people get hurt for his own personal gain :mad:

Time to email Sky I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.