main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Salvation and Genesys is T's desperate attempt to reinvent itself, but it's not going to work; it's over. This is what happens when people want to use a popular brand name just to make some quick cash (T3, Salvation, Genesys). They intend to milk Terminator for everything that's left of it, and in the end it will look just like a dead cow; not pretty.

The same thing has happened to Jurrasic Park; same story. Now we have to wait and see if Disney manages to make Star Wars just as irrelevant as JP and T.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Certainly looks like it.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He's also really good in Zero Dark Thirty in a non-action type role. It was the movie I first saw him in.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Reportedly, James Cameron is getting the rights back on 2018.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

He's also in White House Down (the PG-13 version of Olympus Has Fallen, which in of itself, is another version of Die Hard) and Lawless.

6. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

ooh, then he can create Terminator vs. Avatar.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, at this point, I'm maybe even less excited about Cameron getting the rights than I am about the people that have them now having them. He just doesn't have those kinds of movies in him anymore. It doesn't seem anyway. I mean, if he was to do a new Terminator it would be set in an entirely digital world or else underwater.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You will **** your pants with your mouth open!!!

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I thought it was only contingent on there not being another film made.

10. spaulagain

spaulagain Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2014
    I think it's pretty clear already that Disney/JJ is not going to make Star Wars irrelevant. If anything, from what we've seen so far, I'd say they're going to make it more relevant and breath new life into it.

They're certainly starting off better than Lucas and the prequels.

I don't get peoples angst against Disney. They've proven to produce great work, when they care. And hiring JJ to do is proof in itself that they really care about SW and respect it enough to produce a quality end product.

11. onlyonekenobi3

onlyonekenobi3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 10, 2003
    The new Terminator trailer is the equivalent of giving the finger to my teenage hood

Eternity85 likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I wouldn't argue that these most recent films come across as a likely cashgrab given the scramble to get them made before the rights reversion to Cameron (and their bootmake nature as opposed to, say, a continuation/course correction of Salvation's narrative), I would disagree that the Terminator franchise has nothing left in it but nostalgia.

The franchise, at its best, facilitates great character drama (or, at the very least, character themes) in the midst of the action sequences- and that element supersedes the need to include Old Action Hero and an army of Terminators (but their inclusion certainly never hurts). The Sarah Connor Chronicles pretty much proves this on its own, facilitating some fantastic character moments in new situations and dynamics without an Arnie anywhere in sight. Salvation tried something different that ultimately didn't work well- but more out of execution than conceptually. T3 was mostly a misfire because it didn't do this, for the most part and primarily did what you describe. T2-3D, given it's design and purpose, doesn't really count and is more just an indication of certain directions (on a sidenote, the T-1,000,000 should have just been called an HK-1000 since it was just a giant T-1000 and would have eliminated a great amount of critique over it's inclusion).

Additionally, while I wouldn't argue that the franchise wouldn't have functioned as a complete story with just the first two films by themselves, the story wasn't sealed and locked- T2 had a deliberately ambiguous ending and John Connor in the Future War (particularly during the events surrounding the last days of the way and sending Kyle and Uncle Bob back in time ala the abandoned T2 opening sequence) was definitely a key part of the story that would have been a natural extension to bring the whole series full circle (appropriate, given the time loop nature of things).

So, in other words, that potential was there. That T3 didn't seize upon that and TS didn't get the chance to conclude that point doesn't negate the fact that that opening was there. The world of Terminator, while focused on 3 characters, is one that lends itself well to additional stories.

BigAl6ft6, DarthMane2 and SithSense like this.
  13. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    bingo. Judgment Day was always going to happen once Skynet came online. The only way James Cameron could have definitively ended the franchise is if he would have either
    A: Ended T2 with Sarah Connor waking up in 1984 and going about her life as normal, because there was no Judgment Day, the Terminators were never sent back through time, Kyle Reese never would have come back to rescue her, and thus John Connor the savior-of-all-humanity would never have existed to begin with.

And audiences would have bloody hated it, and compared it all to the "just a dream" television cop-outs.

B: Created Terminator 3 as its own movie, taking place entirely in the future and detailing John Connor's final victory over Skynet and humanity beginning anew.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Or, to be fair, C) Used the original Future Coda ending to T2, which would have closed off all sequels outside of a possible Future War film acting as a definitIve prequel to T1.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I do wonder if SCC had lasted beyond Arnie's term as the Govenator, if we would have seen a cameo by him?

16. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Ironically the only t hing the trailer made me think:

BRING BACK NIKE VANDALS
    They made 1 pair for the movie. Seriously. Make it worth your money. Bring that shoe line back!!!

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Probably! I mean, I say this without knowledge, but he loved the franchise and the series shot in California (which was his main requirement) so odds would be likely, imo.

Filming Locations
    Showing all 6 filming locations
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    1 of 1 found this interesting
    Baldwin Hills Oil Field House, Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA(The Connor's home in season 2)
    1 of 1 found this interesting
    Barelas Railyard, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Is this interesting?
    Highland High School, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Is this interesting?
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Is this interesting?
    Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA(studio)
    Is this interesting?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it wouldn't have been impossible- even if it was just an FX cameo ala Salvation during a T-800 encounter (flashback/forward or contemporary).

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dr. Silberman (Bruce Davidson version) on Sarah Connor Chronicles referenced "the big guy", probably the closest you could get to Arnold directly being referenced on the show.

In other news, badass teaser poster. Hell, just keep this as the poster for the release!

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    This movie, I really don't know, I really don't.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The skull has the last laugh.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I read about that on i09 and I was like, "Damn, that's attention to detail". I wish more production and costume designers in movies and television were this anal retentive when it came to stuff that takes place in the recent past.

(It was when I saw an episode of The Wonder Years when I was 13 or 14 that tried to pass off 1980s Topps baseball cards as baseball cards from the 1960s is when I first realized that some either try, or just don't care.)

jedinightwing likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Much better than those EW photos.

24. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    If only a big screen version of this could have been made...

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

no, because the future coda still has the same problem with john connor continuing to exist when he shouldn't exist unless sarah connor turned all creepy, found out where the reese family lived, and started doing the nasty with a 10 year old kyle because he is obviously her soulmate.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.