main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    while i didn't like the actor who played John Connor in T3 i did like the ending with the nuclear missiles being launched and detonating

2. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    No, if the events of T2 really did stop Judgement Day it would invalidate the Terminator universe completely. Had they actually stopped Judgement Day, John would cease to exist and the very reason which motivated Sarah et al to stop the nuclear holocaust in the first place vanishes. In other words, it creates a paradox.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001

I agree. And the they need to make an ALIEN 5 where Ripley wakes up in the Sullaco and realizes ALIEN 3 AND ALIEN RESURRECTION were just a bad dream.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Alien 3 wasn't that bad. it was a lot better than 4. but that's for another thread

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    But Terminator 1 and 2 were about winning something, changing the world/future somehow
    T3 said "screw it" and made "winning" and "changing anything" impossible. It's not only depressing, but it makes T1 and T2, two wonderful films, completely pointless.

6. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    There's nothing wrong with having hope in a different future, but fate is still fate.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    you know, I actually believe in fate and that you can't change the future, and predetermination and all that

but the movie still made me mad. Maybe I would have loved that if it were the first movie.

8. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I was watching The Terminator last noght, and I looked it up on Imdb. because I like to see what became of some of the cast members. Then I saw none other than Bill Paxton listed as "Punk #1" or something, so I rewound back to the beginning and was genuinely astonished: There he was, Bill Paxton with spiky blue hair, a tire tread tattoo on his face, brandishing a switchblade at Arnold and screaming "**** you, *******!" [face_laugh]

It should be noted that the other punk on his left is the guy who played the Alien Bounty Hunter in the X-Files.

The things you learn on imdb.com.... :D

9. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, and Jennette Goldstein have been several James Cameron movies either together or separately.

ALIENS- Michael, Bill, and Jennette
    Terminator- Bill and Michael
    T2- Jennette
    Titanic- Bill and Jennette
    The Abyss- Michael
    True Lies- Bill

10. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Michael Biehn was in the extended edition of T2 as well.

11. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    He was? :cool: I never saw the EV. Thanks for the info. [face_peace]

12. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    You need to see it. The scene with Michael Biehn alone is worth the price of admission.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    how about Lance Hendrikson. he was in T1 and in Aliens

14. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    T1>>>>>>T2
    T3>>>T2

15. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001

how about Lance Hendrikson

You're right. I forgot all about Lance. ;)

16. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Don't forget Arnold.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the only way i see them bringing back arnold for T4 is a cameo towards the end where they show the first terminator being sent back. i think that's the only way arnold said he'd come back to if it was just a cameo because of him being governor

18. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Dont even bring him back. Hollywood bigshots insistence on centering the storylines of the Alien Saga and the Terminator Saga on the aged, big name stars that franchised the films is the exact reason why there stalled in limbo. Theres no limitations except for that in both of those worlds of the fantastik. Think about all the B schlock crap sequels that got churned out in the sci-fi world that are based on only marginal successes like Scanners amd Highlander. The corporate future of the Alien Saga and especially Camerons' Skynet in the Terminator movies are friggin brilliant concepts that SHOULD be explored by up and coming imaginative storytellers. That was the case with Alien3. It only took Alien: Resurrection for people to realize how good part 3 really was.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the movie wouldn't be focused on him if he only appeared in the last 10 minutes

20. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    "Talk to da hand!"[face_talk_hand]:p

21. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I love these films, I think I prefer T1 and T3 the best, there were both something new, T2 was pretty much just a big budget clone of T1. Not saying thats bad but I dont really get it when people complain about T3 coping T2 when T3 was completely different. You could lay scenes from T2 on top of T1 and they would look alost exactly the same.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i probably like T2 the best. hard to say who's next w/ T1 and T3. i wouldn't have minded if T3 was a little longer

23. Grillbu_Fett

Grillbu_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    I wanted to discuss that "software or system core"-thing about Skynet, but now I got confused with the timeline, too.

First, I like T1 and T2 a lot for the fearsome war between mankind and Skynet for survival. T3 is still a good movie to me, but T1 and T2 are better, T1 for the feeling of fear, T2 for the look and the T-1000. Incredible killing machine, much more terrific than the T-X.

Second, what I dislike about T3 is the idea that AI is only a matter of software, not hardware. It makes those lines given in T1 and T2, namely stating that Skynet suddenly got awareness, unnecessary. I would have loved to see other characters dealing with Skynet, trying to shut down his mainframe. Do you think that intelligence and consciousness only come in pairs?
    Derived from T1 and T2, I always thought that there is a system core for Skynet, that you need a certain hardware for your software. That theory especially makes sense if you consider the process of reverse engineering done by Cyberdyne Systems on the damaged CPU of the first T-800. Yeah, the Internet connects a lot of computers all over the world, but IMO that calculating power is far too much distributed, and uplinks and downlinks are too long and too slow, that's why there are supercomputers with much more power than the home PC. Skynet on the Internet? No. I think it belongs to another movie to see an AI being born from the Internet, at which I don't want to state that this virus seen in T3 is an intelligence out of the Internet. I understood that Skynet launched that cyberattack in order to be brought completely online. That implicates that Skynet got awareness before he was put into control which turns the statements of Kyle Reese and the second T-800 the other way around.

Third, let me focus on the timeline. I wonder why it must be John Connor who holds the fate of mankind in his hands... You should take a deep breath, because this is going to consume a lot of brain power. Ready? Let's go.

I imagine there a first uninfluenced timeline to be, with PegaSys working on AI in the Skynet Project. Finally, Skynet is brought online, let's say around the year of 2020, and one or two years later he gains consciousness, and as the human beings around him start to panic, he realizes that mankind is his enemy. He almost annihilates the human race in a thermonuclear holocaust, but then it starts to fight him under the leadership of one man, and as Skynet realizes that he can't beat that leader of mankind, he developes his time machine and sends back a Terminator, let's say around 2030.
    Until that point, I imagine it to be completely arbitrary who becomes the leader of mankind, General Banner or General Garret or General Connor, and who developes the AI first, whether it is PegaSys, Cyberdyne or MetaCortex.

This is where the second timeline starts with a single loop that brought back the first Terminator. Let's call him T-800 1.1, because there will be some other first Terminators in this text. So he accomplishes to terminate all Banners in New York, for example, in 1990, and quits service (Remember T2: They can't terminate themselves). This is how the first Terminator is found and brought to Cyberdyne Systems because that enterprise has a major contract with the US military concerning cybernetics. Cyberdyne starts reverse engineering, because the Terminator can't be reactivated.
    The timeline continues, but Skynet gains consciousness in 2010, thanks to the reverse engineering work done by Cyberdyne Systems, and humanity fights him once again and brings him close to the end around 2020, again, but under the leadership of General Garret. With the first Terminator examined by Cyberdyne Systems, General Garret has prove that Skynet made time travel possible. Skynet sends back a T-800 to eliminate all Garret in Los Angeles in the past of 1984, but Garret doesn't know exactly where the Terminator went, so he sends a soldier to adjust the vantage Skynet gained by the first Terminator.

This is where the third timeli

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Terminator 4 Update From Andy Vajna

Terminator 4 producer Andy Vajna tells the AAP that the fourth film could be shot Down Under.

"We were thinking about Australia. We have been looking at the Warner Bros Studios down there but it is early days," Vajna said from the set of his current film, Children of Glory, in Hungary. "That would be probably early next year."

He added that the script by John Brancato and Michael Ferris is ready to go. "We have the script ready and we are now looking for a director and figuring out what the next step is," said Vajna.

Regarding whether or not Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back, Vajna added, "We would like Arnie in it as a cameo. We want to go on with the Terminator and turn it into a real sci-fi picture and there is a very interesting role for Arnold if he decides he wants to do it.

Arnold's return will depend on his political career, says Vajna.

25. DarthSolo3

DarthSolo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Are the "Terminator" novels and comics considered canon?