main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No, Matt Smith only has 3 quick scenes in the movie and is basically just setup for the next sequels.

However, there is a possibility that they could fight in the next one).

It was actually kinda funny when some ladies gasped during my second viewing when they recognized him.

Anyways, after seeing it a second time I'm more confident in saying that the 2029 & 1984 sequences are pretty solid (misuse of the music not withstanding), though the Genisys memory exposition was handled with an utter lack of grace or subtlety it's pretty embarrassing.

It's the middle of the film where it loses itself and leads to no build up for the finale. They actually would have been better served to extend the buildup to the time jump into the future by making it something they had to earn to achieve instead of having everything but the chip ready to go- have Kyle and Sarah fight together to retrieve a final component, etc. that way they could have brought back in the detectives and Silverman instead of the 2017 cops and JK Simmons ( who I thought was playing Silverman in the previews anyways, though obviously not the case now...)..

The whole police/hospital sequence should have been dropped, they should have had scenes of John hunting/tracking them (as his appearances are clunky), extended the stakes of the bus chase (which was otherwise decent), not rushed the copter pursuit (because no way John gets his chopper in the air that damn fast) and, overall, raised the stakes/mystery of Genisys.

I will correct myself from earlier though- Miles is in the movie, I just missed the name drop the first go around. Which just reminds me how much they could have done with the John/Danny interactions of they wanted to...

Thinking about it, though, there's one or two really key things in this film that they could have easily done more with to make it a much better story...

The problem with the John/T-3000 twist is they don't really DO anything with it- there's no inner conflict on his part, no character interaction that couldn't have been achieved with almost any other monologuing villain. And in the process they undermine one of the key figures in the franchise- it arguably even puts T2 in a different (if contradictory) light.

But they could have fixed that and made it all work if they had made use of John's hacker skills by having him design & bring Genisys online as Skynet programmed him to... only to reveal that part of that code going online breaks John free of Skynet's control (and there could be subtle dual-meaning moments prior to this to set it up).

But, now Skynet is online, which is a problem- unless you can contain it to the Cyberdyne building and prevent the upload by killing the communication lines/transmitters. That's where Sarah, Kyle & Pops come in- as Pops worked on the construction teams, he could have planted a means of sabotaging network access ("Ate the transmission lines down?" "Terminated."), or at least the seeds of a means they can act on.

Skynet, desperate, forms a new body (either from scratch or by assimilating a Dyson or, if you want to get tragic, Reese) to try to escape in- only to be confronted by John. (And, if you want to get crazy and keep Pops & co busy, why not have Skynet initiate some T-1000 bodyguards? Afterall, you've got a room full of T-1000s already, why not USE THEM?).

In the end, John gets to remain the hero and take down Skynet himself (or with Reesebody's help) Because that's what he does. That's all he does. He'll find it and rip out its magnetic heart.

Skydance? Just hire me already.

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Haven't seen this yet, but I can't see Emilia Clarke as Sarah. Those of you who have seen it, was she a good Sarah Connor? I couldn't stand Bale as John in Salvation either.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought she was a good Sarah- she plays her somewhere Inbetween the T1 & T2 Hamilton versions. More capable than her T1 version but not the unstable, hard edged badass of T2.

4. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I actually really enjoyed Genisys. Very entertaining and very satisfying. Feelings that didn't come with T3 or Salvation. Would've liked it more if they kept the ending a little more open to see where a future sequel would go.

I know this flick has been a critical failure, but I hope it gains a fanbase so they can continue this story. I don't wanna see a new reboot in five years.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    After the drubbing it got from the critics I caved and went to see the movie expecting a film that was so bad it's good. Yet it's not that 'bad' at all, it's just a thoroughly mediocre movie with a few highlights (Namely the governator, J,K Simmons and Matt Smith all enjoying themselves and hamming it up to high heaven). Which in itself sucks, I was expecting and wanting a car crash.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Saw it last night. It was highly enjoyable, Emilia did a fine job as Sarah Connor, it was fun to see Arnold in the role again, and the VFX were great. But every time John came on screen, I couldn't help but think that he looks like Quentin Tarantino. It was a bit distracting.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Hah, Tarantino :D Yeah, he does look like him.

8. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I think he looks like a cross between Tarantino and Ted Cruz. Which I think is the main reason I haven't seen the film, TBH.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't diss my homeboy Jason Clark!

10. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    It's only a diss if you happen to think either QT or Cruz are morbidly unappealing. Which I do.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Just got out the movie. Not as bad as T3, but I liked Salvation better. Terminator Genisys is a boring mashup of every action movie made over the past 30 years.

Helicopter falling off the side of the building? The Matrix
    Genisys taking the form of a holographic child? Resident Evil.
    Bus flipping end over end? The semi from The Dark Knight.
    Bus falling off a bridge and around Sarah and co? The Lost World trailers falling off a cliff around Sarah and co.

They even used the dramatic Inception BAWM sound in the soundtrack.

I've seen wet toilet paper with more character than the actors playing Kyle Reese and John Connor.

Arnold is just okay, but nowhere near as memorable as in T2, Emilia Clarke was decent enough as Sarah, and JK Simmons stole the show as conspiracy theory cop.

If you really want to see it, just rent the damn thing.

Or marathon every action movie on Netflix.

12. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    Also if you know about the original ending to Salvation, you know where the franchise just went.
    Pops will now be posing as John Connor and leading the humans to victory.

13. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    And the hell was with that damn "COPS" montage? Oooh, we're playing "Bad Boys"! It's comic relief! Oooh, Emilia Clarke is SHORT! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE SHE'S SHORT!

[​IMG]

Irony.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    i think it was intended to be along the lines of the Bad to the Bone moment in T2.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, it was stupid. But dammit if I didn't laugh anyway. Honestly, Arnie got me with that smile every time. He's actually become a pretty good comedic actor, and he's incredibly gifted in controlling his body and the way he moves to create that robotic impression.

BigAl6ft6 and DarthBane93 like this.
  16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    You know, if you're going to:
    retcon Terminator 2 (one of the most acclaimed/influential sci-films of all time) out of existence, and heavily rewrite The Terminator (ditto on the acclaimed/influential thing) then you'd better makes sure that your own movie is up to snuff. This wasn't. It's also quite sad that the most interesting/compelling that John Connor has ever been was as a ten-year-old. These last three films REALLY have had no idea what to do with him.
    I thought that the Clarke's did fine given what little the script gave them to work with. And it was fun to see Arnie in the role again. JK Simmons and Matt Smith (boy was he underused) were also good.

SithSense likes this.
  17. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I don't know why people hate Salvation so much. I love that movie.

18. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    The best actor in this movie was Lee Byung-Hun. He got everything RIGHT about the T-1000, even going so far as to mimic Robert Patrick's distinctive walk.

So basically, the director is tone-deaf.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Christian Bale forcing them to rewrite the movie and add more scenes in for him.

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't hate it. i thought it branched out and did something new showing the actual war.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Salvation was a lot of fun. Certainly better than the other idiotic robot movie that came out that summer...

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Eh, that's not so bad. It saved what would have been a film that would be derided even worse than it was. Reducing John to a guest star role and then having him die, to be replaced by Marcus is even more of a giant middle finger than what happened with John becoming a T-3000.

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    John was just boring in that movie. He accomplished NOTHING of note. Also, the movie feels really pointless. All that really comes of it is that Marcus (a character who we were just introduced to/getting to know) dies. And lets take out the whole stupidity of that "surgery" to begin with.

Also, the people who made that film were clearly bigger Mad Max fans than Terminator ones, because that movie is more reminiscent of The Road Warrior than a Terminator film. I agree that focusing on the future war was the right way to go, but the execution was just BAD!!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The added Connor shift makes the film feel unfocused- it's why the first, Marcus-centric-but-with-some-Connor, hour of the film is good but the middle starts to wander and feel pointless. It doesn't recover until the finale.

However, beyond all that, Anton's Reese was very good and captured the character's spirit. Something much more obvious when you compare it to Jai in this film.

As for the Mad Max comparison, that's probably unavoidable if you're setting a film in a post apocalyptic landscape in a franchise that is centered around vehicle chases.

25. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    Agreed. I would have preferred seeing Anton Yelchin return for this one.
    Jai Courtney is as bland as unbuttered grits.

DarthBane93 and The2ndQuest like this.