main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it can work as an ending, at the very least.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

I know, I know, but someone was going to post it.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That is a good thing in my opinion, because the more films they make, the more they screw things up.

redlightning likes this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    True, but redemption is always just a sequel away. There's been a level of diminishing returns with the Terminator saga, both financially and artistically, but the legacy of the first two films is secure beyond what a hundred bad sequels can touch, so at this point every new film is just another chance to get it right. We've seen it happen before, and recently. The Fast and The Furious franchise seemed more or less dead before reinventing and reinvigorating itself. And what were the odds there was not only another good Mad Max film to be made, but a great one?

The odds are certainly against a Terminator sequel reaching the heights of the first two, but if they don't make any more, those odds are zero.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    You make good points. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see. I won't hold my breath for a Terminator movie as good as the first two though, but anything is possible.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think Genisys was that bad.

BigAl6ft6 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Well put, Juke.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The only danger is too many lackluster sequels damaging the next sequel's shot at success. People aren't going to give up on Terminator or T2, but it's going to be harder to get people excited to see another Terminator movie if a long string of flops is in the way. Especially when you consider that this was Arnold's big shot at a comeback, playing his most iconic role in a blockbuster franchise -- if this landed with a thud, how much of a shot at success is a sequel going to have with goodwill further diminished? How much better might it have done if people had no negative memories of T3 and Salvation?

Really, at this point, I just feel frustrated that Arnold's having such a hard time getting butts in seats. He's such a fun presence that I'd love to see him make a comeback, but nobody's coming out to see his movies, even though they've been mostly decent to quite good. With the Terminator franchise fizzling, I think his only real option now is to hitch his wagon to a guaranteed sure thing that isn't hanging solely on him. If he wants to get back in a blockbuster, he has to either call up Vin Diesel and demand a part in the next Fast and Furious, or get himself into the MCU. If he can get out there in front of everybody with guaranteed viewership as part of an ensemble, impress, and remind people why he used to be the biggest box office draw in the world, I think that's what he needs to generate audience goodwill and take the stink of underperformance off.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Another thing. Money directed at a Terminator sequel is money not spent on another, original film which has at least as much chance of being good and without weighty expectations. Jabbadabbado can get on board with that.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    a truly astute point professor Diggy

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Absolutely. With each flop or poorly received entry the chances of the audience giving you another chance greatly diminish, and if Arnold back in the Terminator role after a decade+ away wasn't enough to get people amped...

I used Fury Road as an example earlier. The Mad Max saga had never reached the dizzying commercial heights of the Terminator franchise, but they were successful and well loved. I think it's safe to say that whatever its box office, Beyond Thunderdome didn't exactly leave a great taste in people's mouths (or at the very least hasn't held up very well), and after thirty years it would be easy to assume that the franchise's time had come and gone. But Fury Road was an inspired effort, not merely a cash grab, and the subsequent buzz and word of mouth really helped to lift it. If they could really capture something fresh and exciting (a Huge task for sure) a similar revival isn't out of the question.

Diggy Yeah, but honestly, in this environment do you think the studio is going to use that money for daring and original content or spend it on another "safe" bet like a reboot/remake or adaptation of the next big YA novel? That's like expecting the government to give wasted tax dollars back to the people :p.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

My friends and I enjoyed it.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The franchise really needs to just be retired for years to come at this point. The entire thing is really tired at this point. If you want to continue it, do so with video games, novels, comics, and other means. Film and television for the Terminator is dead IMHO.

Either reboot the thing or let it die.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Oh well. The last really good T film -- the last one that justified its own existence by being entertaining and thought-provoking -- was in 1991. After that the films are rehashed plots, cut-and-paste setpieces, stock characters in a shake-n-bake bag. Granted, I haven't seen Genisys -- but do I need to? I've seen all the trailers and read the reviews. It's time to put this puppy to bed.

18. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Reboot the whole thing if we need new films and not with the alternate timeline spin. But wait ten years first.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think the problem with Genisys is that if you choose John as the baddie, then you should keep the twist, add some conflict and struggle in this villain, but we saw none of these, the trailer told us the twist, and John became a boring one-dimensional killer after the process, then why do you use him at all?

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I for one don't care whether the trailer revealed the twist. It either works in the movie as it plays, or it doesn't. It sounds to me as though it doesn't.

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I feel bad for Arnold, he is such a great actor.

I think if they want to continue the series, stop the time travel and set the focus on the future battle with Skynet.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    [face_plain]

Emperor_Time likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "I am to acting what Raymond Burr is to pole vaulting." Arnold Schwarzenegger

24. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    His best performances are in Conan the B and The Terminator, two roles in which his natural charisma and magnetic presence overpowered the need for convincing vocal delivery. But he's also very good in True Lies and Kindergarten Cop, requiring good comic timing, which is an underrated skill. He's certainly not a bad actor by any stretch.

BigAl6ft6 and Emperor_Time like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- they really needed to do something with that twist and show some kind of conflict or resistance on John's part (as I suggested awhile back- him using his hacking skills to undermine Skynet would have been the perfect route).