main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The movies need to be interesting, and they just aren't. The first one was, simply by virtue of being the first. The second, while one of my favourite movies, I don't think was really interesting in a cerebral way, though if someone wants to make that claim, I won't argue it. For sure, though, from the third and up, they've just been mindless explosions, and if you want to keep it going after 5 movies, you have to provide more than that.

Edit: unless it takes place in the future war, in which case I might be fine with one last entry of mindless explosions. But I want it to be over! When are they going to win? They've been fighting this enemy for five movies already. :p

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    North Korea says hi.

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Go to Aliens route.

Call the movie "Terminators"

Have Skynet send a ton of hard to kill terminators back in time to kill all of humanity. Not just one persons.

But instead of Age of Ultron, there are no Avengers superheroes.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd defend T2's cerebral aspects, particularly in the Special Edition (the theatrical cuts makes small snips here and there that make it weaker, so far as the subject is concerned). It may not provide a lot of answers, but it makes a lot of, IMO, important observations (or at least, asks important questions) about people and humanity. Any film that gets the viewer to ask such questions and consider such ideas is a strong one in that regard. i know T2 had a profound effect on me.

But you're absolutely right- you need to have something stronger than just action sequences to sustain the series. T3 only achieved that maybe twice for a brief period of time (one of them being the end of the film). T4 did have more going for it, IMO- but, again, it was undone by the shift from Marcus to Marcus/John split focus. T5's setup at least had the potential to do something new and original but squandered every possibility (or didn't even try at all to explore/introduce them).

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    TSCC was decent as far as stuff past T2 goes. If James Bond can work post cold war (although Putin wants it back) so can Terminator.

6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    The problem with Terminator action sequences is that we live in a post Transformers and other modern day blockbuster audience world.

Plus with the real world A.I. and robotics as they are now, no one's scared of Watson becoming sentient. We're just scared of him winning more money than us on Jeopardy.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There needs to be at least one more movie and one more TV show (or two movies or two TV shows), because both Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams need to get a chance to play Sarah Connor.

Jedi Merkurian and PCCViking like this.
  8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'd rather we get new characters. Those two would make good cast members for it though.

9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    North Korea can barely get a toaster to work.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watson doesn't look like this.

[​IMG]

And doesn't use people to fill pools when he loses. Cromartie is known to do that. ;)

Darth Basin likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

You make me laugh. If Uncle Bob were here, he'd laugh too.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Basin like this.
  12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    DEADLINE: He’s Back! James Cameron To Godfather ‘Terminator’ With ‘Deadpool’ Helmer Tim Miller

He’ll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinema’s great science fiction tales.

Beyond caring, but thought you might be interested.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Basin like this.
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    OMG, why?!

Why Jim? You're about three movies TOO LATE!

14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe if we have luck we get a great terminator movie. Hope dies last.

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Cameron returning to his baby is good, but too little too late in my opinion.

16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm up for a conclusion, but if he's planning another trilogy, I just can't be bothered.

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    As far as the story goes what if Skynet won without using Nukes? All Skynet haves to do is cut all power for a few weeks.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Skynet goes back to 2016 and rigs a couple of elections.

Or, Skynet goes back to 2016, sees the results of a couple elections and knows it just has to bide it's time, and we'll take care of the destruction of humanity ourselves.

19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Vote for me if you want to live!

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am so goddamn happy at this!

[​IMG]

Consider me a dyed in the wool Terminator fan (More Terminator stuff, forever and ever, please) and I'd love to see Cameron working on it again and the visuals in Tim Miller's stuff is pretty darn excellent and I think he could make a movie that looks just as amazing as a Cameron film. So happy day!

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender Sai what is the number of 'and' allowed to be used in a sentence before a hand should be chopped off?

Ender Sai and SuperWatto like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can happily transport back to 1998 when a Cameron T3 was still expected.

So, great news at his direct involvement 9even if not directing himself). I do have to say it feels a little too late though- he should have done this after T3 or Salvation before Gen killed things.

However, if it is indeed meant to be a final Terminator film to wrap up the franchise and show us the Future War Cameron teased us with, I welcome it.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    When beloved franchises go off the rails, I think most of us are (decreasingly) amenable to the idea that the next one will set things right. Oftentimes the promises are empty, but with Cameron's involvement I do cling (with slippery fingers) to the hope that this one could give the series a wrap-up worthy of the first two films.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Arnold can't come back to the franchise though, right? I feel like if they write the script for just for the sake of an actor they're doing a disservice to the story.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Sure, he can. That's the point of the multiple 101 models. He's gonna want to be involved and Cameron will want him in it. Had Cameron done T3, Arnold would have been in it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.