main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He was.

Darth Punk likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was just about to say that, but Diggy ninja'd me.

I really don't want a bunch of old 101 models running around or even young CGI 101 models. It's going to be like minions.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    mind or want? It will make a big difference :p

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, just edited to say "want."

Diggy likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I know, I'm talking about back in the day. They have a good working relationship, so he would want to be involved with him on a Terminator project.

That's kinda the point. The in-universe reason for multiple 101 models, was to ensure that should one be destroyed there would be a back-up. It'd be the same way if the 102 model were introduced. The same would have happened in TSCC with Cameron and Cromartie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Arnold is definitely going to be in it, and probably have a significant role, way moreso than a cameo. Especially now that Cameron is involved. That will be a thing. Ain't no way Cameron is going to work on a Terminator flick and not have Arnold in it. The trick is what/how they're going to do with Arnold. I would flat-out love to see him as the bad guy again, the remorseless, unstoppable killing machine. The closest we got was a moment in Salvation (and the switch flipping in Rise of the Machines). Although I think the young CGI Arnold trickery has been well done but it's been 2 movies in a row with that. And I thought Genisys had a simple, unique solution to it, the model was sent back to the 70s, he got old (and then they jumped 20 years so older). There's an episode of Sarah Connor Chronicles where a Terminator was literally sealed behind a wall for a decades because it was sent back too early, do something like that. Now on SCC that aforementioned buried behind a wall Terminator didn't age but I think Genisys' sidestepping it by saying yes the human stuff does age kind of works better, it makes the Terminator's more "human", which is ultimately a big theme of the series. Anyway, yes, old Arnold, as the Terminator, hopefully the bad guy. Less rock 'em sock 'em robots and more tech noir horror stuff please.

Jedi Merkurian and Seagoat like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Cameron on Terminator's relevance.

“Its really just stumbled along, trying to find its voice again. There’s probably some degree to where it’s lost relevance, you know? Maybe the things that made it good back then are kind of a yawn now. It’s easy to remember fondly the things that kick off a franchise. It’s hard to keep a franchise vigorous, and relevant.
    I haven’t had my hand on the tiller since ‘Terminator 2,’ and that was 1991. So what’s that? Twenty-six years? But look, I think it’s possible to tell a great ‘Terminator’ story now, and it’s relevant.
    We live in a digital age, and ‘Terminator’ ultimately, if you can slow it down, is about our relationship with our own technology, and how our technology can reflect back to us – and in the movie, literally, in a human form that is a nemesis and a threat.
    But also in those movies, in the two that I did, it’s about how we dehumanize ourselves. In a time when people are being absorbed by their virtual-social world, I mean, just look around. I always say: if ‘Terminator’ was about the war between the humans and the machines, look around any restaurant or airport lounge and tell me the machines haven’t won when every human you see is enslaved to their device. So could you make a relevant ‘Terminator’ film now? Absolutely.”

9. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Genisys was too on the nose with it, which made it ham-fisted. And now that Genisys has already done it, that approach is tainted. [face_frustrated]

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm totally okay if Cameron takes the "Skynet is an app" approach that Genisys did (and sort of in Rise of the Machines where Skynet was basically malaware) because I think he's going to do it better. good to see Cameron once again restate the notion that a lot of subsequent Terminator movies don't push is how the humans are turning into machines as well. It was always kind of subtext in everything but I could see Cameron pushing it to the forefront.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, Salvation has a character that had literally, not just metaphorically, become a machine. But that plotline got muddled by the character focus split and the exposition dump.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also, just spitballing, the possible Tim Miller / James Cameron Terminator movie didn't mention any writers. Also of note one of the writers that James Cameron worked with on the Avatar sequels for years is Josh Friedman, he of Sarah Connor Chronicles showrunning. Hopefully at some point they chatted Terminator.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If Ellison is talking about a deal with James Cameron, I am absolutely on freakin' board. That's the only interpretation I can parse out of him saying "where fans wanted the franchise to go since T2"

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Arnold sez it isn't done and even invokes the holy name of J.C. (Jesus Christ, John Connor, James Cameron, any and all of the above. Same guy, really. But, in this case, it was the third one.)

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news...e-is-not-done-making-terminator-movies-752107

"Just because Paramount doesn't want to pick up the Terminator franchise, you have 15 other studios willing to do it -- that doesn't mean the Terminator franchise is finished, right? It just means they are on their way to negotiate with another studio, but I can't give you the details of that. They'll announce that. But, yes, the Terminator franchise is never finished. And remember that after 2018, James Cameron is getting it back, and then it will continue on!"

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Having Cameron's involvement confirmed is certainly good news. We may finally get a proper T3 after all.

19. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Does not fill me with confidence. Any sequel would necessarily have to pick up where Genisys left off, or at least address its events somehow. I would rather they just reboot it at this point. Frankly, the story of an AI taking over is not even that compelling anymore. Since the first two Terminator flicks, we've had the Matrix trilogy, I Robot, Oblivion, Ex Machina and I'm sure plenty others I can't think of right now. While the idea of robots taking over wasn't exactly revolutionary even then, it has become so pervasive these days that it's a tired trope. I hope that what they're making is a final chapter that will give this franchise its much needed conclusion, and finally put it out of its misery.

Diggy , TrandoJedi and SuperWatto like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Why? T4 didn't pick up where T3 left off and T5 didn't pick up any of the plot threads or direction from T4. TSCC ignored T3+, etc.

They could simply do Cameron's version of T3 or, effectively, the "prime timeline" Future War conclusion they've been teasing since the first two films. That would still allow T3+ to happen in a resulting splinter timeline (since that was based on a delayed Judgement Day) of the multiverse that T5 dipped its toe into. They're under no obligation to continue the multiverse plot thread with Pops if they don't want to- especially if their story has no need to.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I would argue that T4 (Salvation) did pick up where T3 left off. Kate Connor was a character from T3 that we never saw or knew from T2 or saw again in T5.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Granted, but nothing about her role or arc in the film is connected to her introduction in T3. If you watch T3 you don't get anything more out of her in T4 than if you went from T2 to T4- "John Connor's resistance girlfriend/wife".

But Salvation was designed to be the start of a new trilogy- thus the new cast, new look and new focus away from the Connors (before Bale confused things).

23. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, Arnold's old age can't be concealed, so that's another reason why I think they will have to tie into Genisys to explain it. If not, they'll have to make an original story that once again uses the same conceit (that he has for some reason been active so long that his organic cover has aged), which will feel kind of rehashed. Or, I suppose it's possible he can be a human character who is the original template for the model 101.

24. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly at this stage I think if more Terminator needs to be made then do it as a reboot, everything just seems so weighed down(and overly dependant on) the franchises mythos now. Beyond that the only thing I'd really like to see at this stage is a proper Jon Conor resistance story up to the destruction of Skynet.

25. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I agree. I want any new movie(s) to be aimed toward an ending. When will these people finally win? Three decades this franchise has been running. It's time to bring it home.