main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    I was sitting there watching the original "The Terminator" and I'm thinking that the machines just didn't think things through when they designed a big muscular terminator because it would have been a dead give away that he's a terminator. I mean these people that the terminator was supposed to look like were survivors in a post nuclear holocaust world. These people wouldn't have had any gyms and protein shakes to help them build massive muscles. So if you're sitting there resting after a hard day of duking it out with H/K's and a guy shows up that is sporting 100 pounds of extra muscle then wouldn't you be suspicious?

2. EvilElecBlankett

EvilElecBlankett Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
    Christian Bale is rumored to play John Connor in the upcoming Terminator 4 movie.
    link

wow.just.wow

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He actually would look closer to the T2 Future John... and certainly has an air of "son of Michael Beihn" about him.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That would be...awesome.

5. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I love this quote from:

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/

"I think McG is capable of more than he?s shown so far but if he wants to be taken more seriously he can start by using his real bloody name."

LOVE the news about Christian Bale being cast as John Conner. Fingers crossed that this ultimately pans out.

6. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Christian Bale as John Conner is actually great casting. But i'm not impressed by the choice of McG as the director. He feels equally wrong as Jonathan Mostow felt wrong as the director to T3. And now that Arnold doesn't reprise his role as the Terminator I don't know what to think about this project.

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I bet Nick Stahl's pissed. I'd be.

"Ya mean they got Batman and Riddick in this? ...So, Disturbing Behavior 2 DTV it is."

This is perhaps one of the most shocking news items I've read all year, when it comes to film. Whether Bale actually signs the dotted line or not, though, the fact that he was even considering it tells me that the script by Brancato and Farris is probably pretty good. I've been extremely curious about this project from Day One, mainly because I've been dying to see them finally realize the "future war" on the big screen in this series.

I think the concept does lend itself to more movies (we haven't even seen the war yet), but only if they completely toss of the shackles of the Arnold/Linda Hamilton era. If you're going to squeeze every last drop of profitability out of these films, then at least don't try to make amends by awkwardly bending over backwards to include remnants of the previous films. John Connor in the future, war with the Terminators...go!

And I would be interested to know what "movie-star money" he's getting for this, and what "movie-star money" he's NOT getting for Batman. Didn't Hugh Jackman and company renegotiate for bigger X-Men paydays as the series went on? Might there not be something similar for Bale? I can't believe the money he got for the Batman films didn't go a long way to securing his financial future.

The need to change that ****ty title, though. Sounds like a Terminator video game.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Great casting there if it turns out to be true. If it is than the script must be good because Bale doesn't just take anything. I look forward to seeing more news on this.

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Terminator: War of the Machines would be a good title I think and if they get Christian Bale then I'll be there on opening day.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, they abolsutely need to include the "final" attack on Skynet, Reese getting sent back through the vortex & Connor finding/reprogramming the T-800- hopefully using at least some of Cameron's abandoned T2 opening that featured those events. Would be nice if they could explain Skynet's survival long enough to sent back the T-X as well, unless they'r etaking the preferrable route of just ignoring T3 altogether.

11. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd love to actually see the war with the machines and Christian Bale would be a good choice. I don't know how much they're putting into this movie or if they're planning a series but it would be good if they showed them sending Reese into the past eventualy to show how it all started.

12. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Bale, liking a challenging role, has signed on to play Sarah Connor's corpse.

He gained weight for the part.

Right, I absolutely would want to see some version of the taking of Skynet's complex (which is a major part of the conflict), but what I meant was that the story should spin off in entirely new, unhinted-at directions (the task of rebuilding the ruined Earth, dealing with "rogue" independent Terminators after Skynet's destruction, et al), rather than making Skynet's destruction the culminating event of the movie.

Or, make it the climax, and save some of that stuff for T5. Or, none of the above. I could get behind a completely new start for the series -- even something as extreme as an Arnold-less "reboot" -- if it frees the writers up to take some ballsy risks with the franchise.

If they're going off in entirely new directions like they seem to be, slavish adherence to the original, 25-year-old Jim Cameron backstory has become increasingly less and less important since he left the series.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Christian Bale is potentially a great choice for the part of John Connor. As for Jonathon Mostow, the people who should be directing this movie are the Wachowski Bros. You can't watch The Matrix, and the Battle of Zion in particular, and not tell me that the Wachowskis wouldn't make an abosutely STELLAR Terminator film, especially if the film's focus was the war with Skynet.

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It's funny because I actually read a book where he was one of a number of directors who gave an extensive interview. A lot of people think that McG is some pretentious Hollywood thing he took on, but according to him, his father and grandfather called him "McG" growing up. Never anything else. So even though it's not the name on his birth certificate, he says he considers it more his real name than "Joseph Nichol".

15. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

16. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I pray Bale signs on [face_praying]...That would really lend some credibility to this project. McG is dumb, and I agree that if you want to be taken seriously in any business, you've got to drop the stupid nickname, I don't care if your grandma used to call you that, grow up.

-D_M_S_L

17. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    He's been comfirmed. At least I think so.

18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I wonder if theres going to be a T7 threw T9 to explain about John Conners childerns.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. McG sounds like the name of a rapper, and not a very good one at that.

20. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    McG Lusting After Josh Brolin For Lead T4 Terminator Role.

So basically, he'd be switch-hitting with Javier Bardem.

That, and apparently Jim Cameron has given his full blessing to the project. Also, McG discusses how the new FOX TV series will fit into the T3-T4 "timeline" (a term I now use very loosely).

22. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I could see Javier Bardem as a Terminator, but Josh Brolin seems like a stretch, although I suppose a lot of people probably said that about Robert Patrick.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I remember that Patrick was largely considered a 'pretty boy' before he took the role in T2. A lot of critism went into that casting until the film was released.

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Anton Yelchin as T4's Kyle Reese? Possibly.

Thanks to Huff, I now know what a "lipstick party" is. Yelchin might be interesting, but he seems too pretty-boy to be the rough-n'-tough, "grew-up-in-a-post-apocalyptic-wasteland" badass that Kyle Reese is/was.

So, is Sam Worthington playing the role they wanted Brolin for? Or is that still an evil Terminator?

They better have Michael Biehn in T6.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Without Cameron, I doubt you'd get Biehn involved. And he'd be too old to play the role anymore.