main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

COMEDY: Binks Vs Han/Droids

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by chrispotts, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlecGuinnessBeer

AlecGuinnessBeer Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2004
    Wouldn't it have been much funnier if instead of force choking people, Vader poked them in the eyes? Kind of like Moe from the 3 stooges. It wouldn't work on Luke though. He'd sense it and put his hand up to block it, but then Vader would come down on the top of Luke's head with his fist.

Seriously, I love the 3 stooges, but when I watch them I expect slapstick. How stupid would it be to watch the 3 stooges do drama? Well, it would be about as stupid as watching Star Wars and expecting slapstick. Slapstick is a comedic exxageration. It simply does not happen in real life. Somehow I'm not surprised to hear that Lucas studied Chaplin for the purposes of TPM even though that kind of comedy has no place in a dramatic movie.

The easiest way to compare and contrast the humor in the OT and the PT is to watch ANH special edition when slapstick wackery is inserted into the Mos Eisley scene. It feels completely out of place because the rest of the movie is drama, not a 3 stooges episode.

Also, comparing Jar-Jar to classical characters is a total joke. Nobody's buying it.

2. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    If Rick McCallum even thought Jar Jar was too extreme (he said so in an interview and talked to Lucas about it), that might mean something -- Jar Jar may not work with everyone. And McCallum is a guy who happens to love everything it seems.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
  4. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I dislike Binks but I think the droids are funny.

5. DARTH_ONION

DARTH_ONION Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    "Thanx to everyone here who were kind enough to inform me that I have no taste and no sense of humor.."

WOW! finally we argee on something! How's that for comedy?

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.