main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Comedy in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    I just wanted to bring up something I don't think anyone else really has yet, how funny this movie was. And I don't mean funny in a bad way, but the honestly, genuinely good humor like that of the Avengers franchise or Days of Future Past. I think, part of the reason critics and especially myself loved this film was because, it broke the overly gloomy and serious atmosphere from the previous trilogy, but without being too silly, like some characters *cough, cough, COUGH*JARJAR*COUGH, cough*.

I thought the whole cast was funny, Finn, Han, Rey, the entire cast had some amazing comedic chemistry. And, I'm gonna break a trend here and say, in my personal opinion, the funniest character was Kylo Ren. In this, Kylo, even though being proclaimed as "what Anakin should have been" is, in my opinion, actually just as whiny and immature, with the difference being that his whinniness is played for comedy, rather than drama. Why does he snap and wreck things, well, because Darth Vader snapped and killed people, except, rather than giving a sense of dread that we got with Vader, here, the villain comes off as childish and ridiculous, which works. Kylo takes himself seriously while the universe clearly doesn't. In fact, I think he gave the funniest scene in the film, when he flipped out after Rey escaped, causing two stormtroopers to slowly back off.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yes, the humour was done correctly, almost the complete opposite of how it was handled in the prequels

3. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Absolutely. And this right here is why JJ was the right guy for the job. He is one of the few directors that have an amazing ability treading the humor line damn near parody but somehow either by editing or directing, brings enough gravitas to actually make the humor fit the universe. This is what he was also able to do with Star Trek. You take that same exact screenplay, maybe even the same actors, but with a different director, and you may have looked at something that came off as a parody and poor film.

4. Jubz

Jubz Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    The comic moments are great in this movie, and a step up from the other blockbusters you mentioned. They are funny without taking over the film. My favourite moment was the thumbs up from BB8. I have my reservations about Kylo Ren being too childish and pitiful when he's supposed to also be a main threat - however this is an unrelated point and the Stormtroopers backing off is a fine gag - it reminded me a bit of the Imperial Officers' reaction to the chokes in ESB.

5. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    The best thing about Kylo is that he ISN'T out of this world.

He's probably the most human SWs villain we've ever had. The dude is Commodus.

LUH-3417 and Darth Dreadwar like this.
  6. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    The humor was done in a way that was safe and commercial. Much of it felt out of place and almost satirical. AOTC has moments like that at the beginning, and I'm honestly not a fan of those attempts either, but TFA doesn't let up.

7. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Han and Chewie provided a lot of comic relief. Leia had a couple of good scenes too.

8. solo77

Aug 28, 2002

I completely disagree with this. The humour 'felt right' again, in line with the OT approach.

There is a mix of wit, subtlety and sight gags all of which worked (ok maybe the Han/Fin eyebrows part didn't quite work). Not GL's someone stood in poo haha

Darth Dreadwar and Redimet like this.
  9. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

I like my main cast mostly being serious. Jar Jar being designated for comedy was fine...for me. Star Wars isn't a comedy, and the constant attempts at humor irk me. It's also very commonplace in commercial films, so it's not like JJ was being daring by injecting that kind of humor into TFA.

10. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Rewatch ANH

ThorOdinson, jewlmc17, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  11. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014
    Why is a brainwashed pacifist ex-custodian Stormtrooper cracking wise anyway?

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  12. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

I have...many a time. I do not like the character interactions on the Death Star. It's grating to me.

13. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Star Wars isn't comedy....but ANH, ESB and ROTJ had the same brand of humor that you find in TFA.

The perfect balance....

14. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    The humor was probably mostly Kasdan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015

All I have see you do is complain. Maybe don't post here and please don't go see anymore SW movies it seems to make you a ugly poster to be around.

Skywalkin' likes this.
  16. solo77

Aug 28, 2002

Well sounds like Jar Jars your man for comedy (if you can call it that), the lowest form of comedy

Redimet likes this.
  17. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

He's fine for what he is. I don't mind banter, but I think it was a little much in TFA, and it doesn't make sense, especially for Finn to be so jocular.

18. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    I guess we're on opposite ends of the spectrum, I like protagonists that are humorous, it makes them more human in my eyes, after all, what do you do when you're with friends, have deep and serious discussions or toss jokes around?

19. solo77

Aug 28, 2002

I mean he's a young guy who has been constantly surrounded by other men in a 'boarding school' type environment, yeah there's no way they never joked around

Redimet likes this.
  20. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

Umm...a good mix of both? I just think the mistake is to assume if someone isn't telling a joke or trying to be humorous in any way it makes them less human. Maybe it's the Joss Whedon effect, idk. It's one of those tropes where everyone is engaging in witty banter that just rings hollow. Not everyone is Han Solo nor should they be.

Winshen Cloudleaper likes this.
  21. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

A boarding school where they're being programed from birth....

22. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Nor are they trying to be.

Redimet likes this.
  23. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Programming he turned his back on....because.....because he has a personality

Redimet and Blake Starstrider like this.
  24. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

Which then begs the question and this is another topic entirely, but why not just use clones to begin with?

25. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    The thing is, the movie did have equal amounts of comedy and drama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.