main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Comedy in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    The official explanation is that it was expensive and the kaminoans engineered a revolt

2. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

Not for me. Both Kylo tantrums were undercut by attempts at comedy, and for me that hurt his character and made him seem even weaker.

Right, but what is the First Order's excuse?

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    A kylo tantrum without an injection of humour makes the tantrum look ridiculous.

Star Wars is a big crazy space opera with weird looking aliens and nonsensical physics. It's not a Michael Haneke movie. Of course it needs humour. Without it the story wouldnt be as fun, and there wouldn't be a contrast to the serious elements, of which there is still an abundance (killing a father or a random innocent village... Lulz)

4. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    I honestly felt adding comedy to Kylo's tantrums built on the "Loony Vader fanboy" aspect of the character and showed that he's trying to be darkside, he just isn't there yet. Kylo was genuinely menacing when he killed Han and battled Rey and Finn. You know who Kylo really reminded me of? Prince Zuko from Season 1 of Avatar the Last Airbender, I think that's why I liked him. He's a Book 1 Zuko without the honor.

Redimet likes this.
  5. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Exactly, that's why the Anakin tantrums were so panned, they're treated like they're meant to be serious when, really, any adult would see it as just childish

solo77 and Redimet like this.
  6. ojisan

ojisan Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    I think the funniest part was whilst on the starkiller base, Finn was telling Han how desperate he was to find Rey & Han see's her and was flicking his nose up to get Finns attention to what he was seeing. And Finn was kept on asking Han what you doing that for..

cbsnswf2390 likes this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I agree with the OP. Great humor in this film. Though I believe it was far better than the Whedon variety.

And I also agree that Kylo Ren was the most humorous. Not just unintentionally, either. He had a genuinely dry wit. A few paraphrased samples:

First Order officer: "It [the droid] escaped capture aboard a stolen Corellian YT model freighter."
    Kylo: "The droid...stole a freighter?"

Rey: "Where are the others?"
    Kylo: "You mean the murderers, traitors and thieves you call friends? You'll be relieved to hear I have no idea."

8. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    So you don't have a problem with Jar Jar for what he is but don't like the banter on the Death Star in A New Hope correct or am I wrong?

9. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Definitely a funny movie. Han was classic and Kylo Ren had many great moments.

I'd like to see Rian Johnson take a different approach to the humor though. Not everyone needs to crack wise.

10. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    I can't stress enough how utterly talented you have to be to make a film both ultra serious and hilarious at the same time - comedic timing is a gift from God that almost can't be learned. I knew this film was going to be in the top 3 SW movie ever made when Kylo first talks to Poe. What some directors and writers don't understand is that the serious bits actually hit harder when there are moments of well done levity throughout the film. It's just how our brains work. JJ nailed the tone of this movie down to every last detail. It was a masterclass of filmmaking. I should also probably include Kasdan on here too since I know he wrote some dialogue as well. Damn this movie was soooo good

LUH-3417 and solo77 like this.
  11. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    Sanitation?

12. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    To me, it's all about group dynamics and I thought they nailed it. The situational interactions and expressions were a big part of the enjoyment in the OT and it was back here. I agree with those who felt that this would be one of JJ's strengths and it truly was.

Rien Johnson isn't exactly known for the same thing so I suspect the next one will be darker regardless.

TK327 likes this.
  13. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    Am I the only one that didn't care for Finn's humor?

Some of the comedy in TFA I enjoyed, especially everything that happened around the whole bit with Rey's interrogation (the mind trick, one of Kylo's lines mentioned above, and the two stormtroopers turning around).

But a lot of the comedy coming from Finn seemed like it was from a Seth Rogen film or something. I'm not sure how to properly describe it. It seemed too over the top and out of place in the movie. It wasn't necessarily the bits themselves, but the delivery. Am I crazy?

Mindless Monster likes this.
  14. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    That's good, that's how I like my trilogies, levity and introductions in the first film, darkness and despair in the second, and hope in the third.

solo77 likes this.
  15. BountyHunter7

BountyHunter7 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    It was the right type of SW humor (finally!) ...I laughed both times I've seen it when Han grabs a guy and throws him to feed those monsters.

At times it felt too much, like a couple of times where there was no need for a goofy thing to happen. But all in all it was good.

16. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

The tantrum still looks ridiculous.

17. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

You are absolutely correct. Characters sniping at eachother for laughs gets annoying after the 5th or 6th time. Jar Jar doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I loved the humour in TFA. To me it felt very 'right' for SW and akin to that seen in the OT. Although it has to be right on the page as well, chemistry is important for this type of comedy to work well and the cast here seem to have plenty of that.

solo77 and Valairy Scot like this.
  19. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    When poetry started out saying I can't understand you with the mask on, I felt a moment of panic as if jj was going to go too contemporary with the humor, like poking fun of guys I masks in a sweet film, but Poke is a wisecracking space jock pilot and it works. He's seen some s##t and he doesn't have time to be afraid of a mask wearing 4th Reich Nazi guy, has no respect for him. I liked it, and from there on all of the humor like Han calling Finn big deal a few times only served the rapport between them. A few times it was borderline almost too current humor but it was pulled back just right. Bravo jj, you definitely did well. Could have been awful, but it was fine. No I'll never say perfect but come on people he did a fine job

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  20. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I outright cracked up in the theater when Finn went nuts on Phasma and Han told him to bring it back.

cbsnswf2390 and MOC Yak Face like this.
  21. Dave of Ren

Dave of Ren Jedi Padawan

Dec 19, 2015
    I like the fact that the comedy was a result of the character interaction and not "insert fart joke here" that came with the prequel trilogy (Jar Jar, I'm eyeballin' you).

22. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    interesting I didnt find this funny. it was really sophomoric humor, been done 100 times. I mean, it didn't put me off. I just didnt find it funny.

23. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015

or just one big long 3 stooges joke like the ENTIRE GUNGAN BATTLE was. that whole battle was just a smokescreen to give a platform for more Jar Jar hijinks and I am always :mad:about it lol.

24. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015
    yep it worked because Poe pulled it off.

also, Kylo Ren doesnt *need* that mask like Vader did. he's just a friggin fanboy, they should make fun of him voluntarily wearing that because its just essentially his attempt at Vader cosplay. it is kinda ridiculous. (but it looks so cool still).

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  25. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015

it was very OT and I appreciated that very much :) just the dialogue in general was way more natural and flowed. no "master" this and "master" that, or a "m'lady" every 5 words.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.