main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Comic Artist Mark Spears

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MarkSpears, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I used to love Green Arrow. Although I must admit, I often get him mixed up with Green Lantern nowadays. It has been decades since I have seen either of them. I still have hundreds of my comics from the '70s. The House of Secrets and House of Mystery were my favorites, along with Jonah Hex.

Great job.

AG88

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Awesome (and feeling the need to duck again!! lol!)!! I too remember this fellow, though only vaguely--I know I've seen this character, with the "Robin Hood" costume! I always loved that swashbuckling type of hero, and of course, Green Arrow is all of that! You really favor the "threatening stances" for your subjects, don't you Mark...? ;) Looking at Maul, then Boba and now this fellow, I'm feeling sort of "targeted," if you know what I mean! [face_worried][face_laugh] Still--I just love the coiled energy such poses convey, with the figure in the attack stance, muscles tense and ready for action. Just beautiful! Another great piece!

FF

3. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Great work! I really like the style you've got going. That last Boba Fett one is fantastic, and Green Arrow is great! (Always liked G.A...)

4. MarkSpears

MarkSpears Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2006
    Thanks for the comments! Been sick the last couple of days and just now getting back to work. Here are some commissions I finished tonight....

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/otan226.jpg]

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/sbrcoloredb.jpg]

And here is one I did for some fun....For those who don't know this is Elektra from Daredevil fame.

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/e222.jpg]

5. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    excellent work how about having a crack at darth revan hint hint

6. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Beautiful, Mark! =D= The Superman/Batman/Robin piece is just gorgeous, and Otan is magnificent in his bearing and costuming--but the steep perspective you used for Elektra is just too awesome!! How in the world do you handle the foreshortening in such a difficult perspective...? It's amazing--and I love the expression on her face, too (there's nothing we SW fans love more than tough, beautiful women that can kick @$$! :D ;) ). Awesome work once again--and sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope you're well again soon!

FF

7. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Thank you FF! You really known how to make a guy feel better :) I appreciate the comments. I enjoy doing perspective shots like the Elektra one. It's fun to try something a little different from the normal view. Here is another one I did for a RED SONJA test page...

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/rs227.jpg]

8. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Did this for another test page for Red Sonja...

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/rsdoom227b.jpg]

9. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Great new pieces! I agree with FalconFan, those extreme perspective shots are wonderfuly done. It's an angle I've neither been comfortable nor entirely successful at executing myself. I ought to practice more!

Oh, and Elektra's gesture is just plain perfect ;)

10. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Great stuff, I like the variety of characters, some people here only draw Star Wars for some reason[face_whistling]. Great job on the poses, Darth Snuggle is correct in that it's hard to pull off those perspectives successfully and you did it wonderfully. Keep'em coming!

11. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006

Thanks! I like doing up and down shots of characters. It can really make it feel like something is going on even if the character is just standing still.

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ah, we all knew that Ty would be all over this thread! ;) :D

Loving the new pieces, Mark--the first one is a tad...gruesome...but effective as your drawings always are: again, the steep perspective, along with the "sword-in-the-face" (one that's covered in blood, too...**shudders**) really make this one pop! The detailing in the second one is amazing: the huge serpent, her adversary, the cave interior and the broken skull at her feet. I love her pose in this one--very kinetic--and the definition of the shoulder muscles that would be hefting her weapon are done beautifully... **sits to study some more**

Great additions here!

PS--If you like the "gruesome factor," you should check out some of Corellian_Rogue's work--she admits herself that she has "dark leanings," but her stuff is awesome! ;)

FF

13. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Mark, Just looking at your stuff and I am loving what I am seeing. I am a huge fan of the raw pencil drawings and you have that style that so many want to have. Awesome job. I love the emotion in Elektra's eyes...beautiful and your piece about luke/vader in the movie theater..awesome. Perfect storytelling in there. You have a fan!

14. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow, you really make great artworks Mark. I've just visited the pencil gallery on your site and it's fantastic, the characters look so alive.

15. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Wonderful "World's Finest" piece you've done. Batman & Robin are a couple of my favourite characters, especially in that retro-style. Can't wait for more!

16. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    yeah been using the boba fett for my backdrop at work its a damn fine piece would love to see some darth revan tho

keep up the good work

17. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Up this!

Let's hope to see some new amazing stuff here, soon... [face_mischief]

And for everyone else who hasn't seen this thread yet: be sure to check it out, ya'll like it! :D

18. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I think I'm speechless Mark- your work is great! (Why can't I draw like that!?)
    As for Leia looking like she's in drag- no way! I love how you have your own style going on with all the art, but you still get the actors faces looking GREAT! I especially like your Alec Guinness/Obi-Wan drawing!
    If you want any more suggestions that you can try out:
    Grand Admiral Thrawn, Pellaeon... ANY Imperial. Because they're so much cooler than the rebels, let's face it!
    Nice work- keep it up!

19. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    HI GUYS! Sorry it has been so long since my last post. I have been super busy lately. I just finished up a major deadline I had with Marvel and also finished doing two other proposals. I thought I would do something special just for my friends here at the forum, so I decided to color that fett pic that so many wanted to see colored. So here ya go:

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/fettrendered.jpg]

Let me know what you think. Now that I have some free time, I will be checking back more often and will post some more pics.

Thanks!!

Mark

20. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Man, that's amazing! Great coloring on Boba, I really like it. :D ;)

Glad to hear you're back, can't wait for some new art [face_mischief]:p

21. latetowork

latetowork Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2006
    I think your work speaks for itself, very good, it has actual movement in it which is so hard to do.

22. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    This is Power Girl, for those who don't know she is a popular character in comics.

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/powergirlrendered.jpg]

23. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    Here is Frankenstein Monster from a project I was working on.

[image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/frankensteinsneak.jpg]

24. MarkSpears

Feb 8, 2006
    [image=http://users.nehp.net/mspears/Marks%20Pics/werewolfsneak.jpg]

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek::oops:

I can't believe I've missed so much in here!! [face_frustrated]

Great new additions, Mark! Absolutely loving the colored Boba Fett--gads, the coloring is just delicious! The shading and folds and highlights (and all the scuffs and dents on that armor) are just perfect! Excellent!

Power Girl, eh? Not familiar with the character, but I can certainly see why she must be a favorite of the "fan boys..." ;) Again, a nice "from above" perspective here (...how do you do that...?), and I love her expression!

Frankenstein looks wonderful!! Great details with all the sutures and bolts and things--and using different skin colors on some of the parts just emphasizes that this fellow is a "collection of parts!" Wonderful pose, too!

And the Werewolf is great--the broken chains and blood on the shreds of the shirt really drive home the power of this creature--and for some reason, I'm really diggin' his feet! lol!

Great new stuff--can't wait to see some more!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.