main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Comic Book Draft XI: Now Featuring a Stan Lee Cameo: Winner is EmpireForever!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My first inclination would be no. Seems like the time period on it is still pretty short to establish it as her sustained level

2. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Seeing as how Miss Martian's weakness is fire and Killer Frost's power isn't fire, I think MM wins here.

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Killer Frost beats either of those two fairly easily, actually. I'm just wondering if she beats them together.

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Avengers Vs X-men came out in 2011, at least started then, so how much longer would it need to go on for to be considered sustained peak for those characters?

5. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    How exactly?

6. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    By freezing them?

She's the most dangerous Firestorm villain, has battled other JSA members (I think she mind-controlled Superman or something), and has in particular frozen Wonder Woman solid. I don't think either of those 2 are up for that kind of power alone.

7. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    She's going to freeze someone who can become incorporeal and can melt her ice blasts with heat-vision (I'm aware the heat-vision won't hurt Frost herself)?

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005

this is exactly why i was wondering why it wouldn't be considered. that's going on three years now.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sorry for the lack of your request but I'm still on vacation in the DR and went snorkeling today. Plus the internet is spotty so I'm kinda stuck on scans sometimes.

To answer this first: AvX was (as best I can tell) a 2012 series. I don't know when the series finished, or when in it Magik got her "upgrade," but Inty's general thoughts were if someone had a sustained peak for about a year, it was good. If it's just her still mucking about with new powers, that's not a "sustained peak" -- but if she's got a full-upgrade and has shown it for over a year, she should have it, for sure.

So... really? Semantics? Because... that sword's got way more of a history in the MU than the Soulsword does. The Ebony Blade has existed in the MU since 1955, and been with Dane since 1967 whereas Illyana debuted in 1975 and didn't become a force until the 80s. It was created by Merlin, who people are... apparently selling short?

"Merlin is capable of entering the sea of time as well, traveling many centuries into the modern day, maintain a physical disguise, and easily return to Camelot, despite physical teleportation through time is said to be the most energy-draining feat of all, more so that space or interdimensional magical travel, and even the Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange is said to be mystically debilitated after such a feat. Merlin was also the teacher of Morgan le Fay, considered still to be “one of the greatest sorceresses in Earth’s history,” and whose mastery of magic was so great that she was able to kill the Sentry, turn a God of War into stone, and survive the destrcution of her physical and astral form many times."

So, also ask yourself this? Can the Soulsword destroy Mjolnir? It's also an "enchanted weapon?" If not, why not? If so, fine -- I capitulate that, but I doubt you think so. If not, then you're a whore and we're just haggling over price... but, more to the point, here's arguing against it with likely Chimmer's own argument:

[​IMG]

There's the Soulsword clearly affecting the Ebony Blade. There's it clearly not breaking.

Remember, here's what he does to Zeus:

[​IMG]

Energy Manipulation/Electrokinesis: Zeus possess vast energy powers of an unknown nature, which surpass the energy wielding powers of any other Olympian god. Magical in their apparent form and function, these powers can be employed for numerous purposes. Zeus's ability to generate tremendous amounts of electrical energy and to project them from his hands in the form of lightning bolts has become his trademark, and his ability to manipulate lightning was shown to greatly exceed that of Thor Odinson during the Chaos War.

So, yeah -- good luck with that, Magik!

Dispelling magic and magical effects, I've granted you. I'm not arguing against that. that's a known and specific part of the sword's powerset -- however the sword does not break magical weapons. Please see above.

I know, right? I don't even have to make stuff up! Expert Swordsman: Whitman is an excellent swordsman whose skills have allowed him to best the Swordsman in combat. And, then in regards to the Swordsman: "When it comes to pure swordsmanship, he may have been unequaled."

Also, in regards to DH2: Marvel rates "fighting skills" on a scale of 1 - 7. There are exactly four people eligible for this draft in the 7 category: Ares, DH2, Wolverine and Taskmaster. I own two and yes, it's nice. Also, DH2 fires a high-yield plasma cannon on par with the destructive forces of at least the spells Magik can put out... ranged attacks ftw! No need to even get in close...

So you post the latter, then the former -- if even your scans say "promethium battle armor" which is a metal more useful for augmentation of magical ability than strength of armor (e.g. Adamantium).

Again, as I've shown in the scan -- the Soulsword... it does nothing! Also, FYI, Dane's armor isn't magical -- it's elvish. Just super-well made. Not that it would matter much either way. And DH2 is totally non-magical, so nothing to fear from the Soulsword at all.

Again -- she can catch bullets. Amazing.

Can she catch his plasma cannon? Maybe. Can she catch his plasma cannon while trying to evade Dane eviscerating her? Less maybe, but possible I suppose.

But he can also Stagger The Hulk As well as physically stagger the Hulk and beat the crap out of him (I posted those scans for his first fight but can't get to like 80% of scans now).

[​IMG]

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry, I took the question about a post AvX situation to mean it happened ... well, after, AvX. Typically, that's what post means. So, if that ended in 2012, there's potentially enough time for it to be sustained, but not definitively.

Maybe you could reference some specifics? An issue where it started?

11. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm thinking AvX #1 would be a good spot for a start released in December of 2011. They usually start with #1....then again I'm not even sure what your post meant or who it was directed to.

I had a pretty decent sized reply typed up for this then I realized, it doesn't matter the judges rarely take any impact form my arguments and this is exhausting. Posting things that are just logical to dispel an argument for a character that has no viable feats in the last decade maybe two: exhausting. When was the last time Merlin or Zeus or BK for that matter had a significant role in a comic?

Funny you mention Mjolnir because there are several VS thread with that exact discussion going on. Check them out It is pretty evenly split on who would win but most think that her sword would harm Thor and Mjolnir. Again though, who cares? Thor makes BK look like...well.... the Burger King. I don't have to think the Soulsword can destroy Mjolnir because that thing is way more impressive and powerful than the Ebonblade, not comparable at all.

Good point against my argument.... except it's not. I showed the scan. Until recently (more so than that scan you showed) the soulsword hasn't affected physical things. It isn't my fault if there is inconsistency in writing or art. It can still hit things I am sure. And a lot of people took it 'affecting' physical items meaning it would only 'hit' those things if they were magical in nature. OMG CAPS SHIELD IS MAGIC. Not. It is man man, so that is just someone taking liberties. Probably why we ask for 'sustained peak' of what did you say--a year+? Yeah again because NO ONE CARES ABOUT SCANS FROM COMICS OLDER THAN ANYONE IN THE DRAFT.
    As I said Magik breaking the enchantment/curse/magical what have you on Jugger-lossus in the AvX series is more impressive to me than scans of BK doing (I'm honestly not sure what he's done other than the Zeus thing) that are all older than anyone participating in this draft currently. I like how I show a Rachel feat blocking Mjolnir with her TK is Thor 'jobbing' but Zeus having his magic spell deflected at him isn't him jobbing to BK. Uggh as I said, exhausting. Just rule against me because we all know that's what the draft gods want.

12. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Woof. Monica is about to get told all about leading the Avengers.

13. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Not focusing on the rest of the argument, but I don't see how these would really matter. Old stuff, at least in Marvel, is still canon.

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    things have evolved and changed since then however. is anyone really still the same as the were from that time?

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, you're telling me, something that was presented as POST AvX actually started in AvX #1. I hope you see where I'm having a disconnect. I haven't read AvX yet, and so I'm not an expert on it.

Really? I could have sworn I referenced your scan in the last battle in my judgment, and said why it was close but nit quite enough in post. BEFORE the tongue in cheek comment about you not being EF/Durron.

How about we try to drop the victim card?

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Chimmers, you understand that even if I'm arguing against you, I still love you, right? :p

It's not like you're Shurron or something. ;)

17. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    We still go based on peak, regardless if that peak is 1980 or 2005, peak is peak. The only caveat to that is DC, where we have a clear split between post and pre crisis.

Personally, I would go with the trump there, never really been impressed with Magik. She used to be a regular sight in the Comic Drafts of old, and there is a reason people stopped picking her.

18. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah... Not getting to judge this today sorry. Been out way more than I thought I would, just got home and have to prepare for an interview tomorrow and do some other stuff. This Magik match alone is too hard for me to adequately research. In fact I'm fairly certain no matter how I rule I won't be confident in it.

So, just like half the other matches lol.

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005

yes, we still go by peak. is anyone going to say that was ANY of the people in that scan's peak? anyone?

also... looking at that single panel from... whenever the heck it was again, that doesn't really look like what she's doing is aimed at BK there. she's just slashed cap's shield. maybe some residue of it hit BK and the EB, but in that panel? hardly being focused on at all. it's hardly clearly not effecting it, because it's not even really aimed at it.

and i haven't said which way i'm leaning on anything this round, now have i? i merely said that mostly doesn't mean always or completely. does that even hint which way i'm thinking about voting? i don't really think it does.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Of course not, but on the other hand -- you either say the Soulsword can destroy magical weapons / items (no one is arguing it can't destroy, likely, even the most powerful of spells and effects) or it doesn't.

It clearly didn't happen in that panel, when the power of the Soulsword (the green energy) envelops it so it didn't. But for some reason people are saying it can because... it can.

Again, also talk of scale: either the sword breaks all enchantments, including all magic items, or it doesn't.

"Mjolnir itself is already extremely durable and nigh invulnerable like the Earth metal Adamantium or the Olympian metal Adamantine, and combined with the various enchantments placed upon it by Odin, is for all intents and purposes, indestructible."
    "The sorcerer Merlin came upon a strange black ore called the Starstone, apparently the site of a fallen meteor. He forged the Ebony Blade and Obsidian Dagger out of the strange material, using his magic to empower the blades."

Again, either you believe it'll work on Mjolnir or it won't. If you do -- that's cool, I'll concede the argument. Otherwise -- and I suspect you don't -- there's not a good chance of it working on magical weapons.

Also, for note: "Virtually indestructible, Excalibur..." (which carries the same note as Mjolnir) and "The Ebony Blade was originally referred to as the Black Blade. Merlin created the weapon to be a worthy magical counterpart toKing Arthur's Excalibur."

PS - Just 'cause:

[​IMG]

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    nowhere in that does it say that the ebony blade is immune to that kind of stuff. you're drawing connections that, frankly, that doesn't support.

and again, that scan doesn't show what you're saying it does. she's attacking cap's shield, not BK and the EB. if anything there's a little backwash that's hitting it, aka not being focused on at all.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, I'm saying merely that it's a magical weapon. An enchanted blade. And I'm saying that the Soulsword does not -- repeat not -- break magical items / weapons in the same way that it does spells and enchantments.

And really, the energy spreading isn't enough for you to conclude that, since the sword is completely enveloped in the same mystical green energy that it wouldn't be affected if it could?

23. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    are we looking at the same picture? at least half of the sword isn't being touched by it. the ONLY thing getting full brunt of it is caps shield. which is, ya know, what she's swinging at?

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Okay, sorry -- only the bottom-half is completely-enveloped, as I'm sure that makes a huge difference if it could destroy the sword or break the sword's enchantment... :p

25. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Personally, I don't see the Soulsword breaking the Black Blade. in regards to which sword I find more impressive, Black Blade by far....at least in terms of the Soulsword breaking the Black Blade.

That is one tough battle actually, it would be one thing if we knew what kind of spells Illyana actually tended to use....doesn't seem like we have much information on that.