main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comic Books

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by FaceLoran, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    I was just wondering how many of you guys and/or gals read comics, and which ones you read?

I read Superman, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, the Ultimates, Rising Stars, Star Wars Tales, Powers (well, the trades), and various other mini-series and one-shots, like Origin and Jango Fett.

Also, if you do read them, where do you get them? Are you loyal to any particular store? Do you buy them online? I live in Tahlequah (if you don't know where that is, it's about an hour southwest of Tulsa) and I have to come to Tulsa to get comics or buy them online. When I make it to Tulsa, I always go to Vintage Stock II and World Of Comics. I also sometimes check out Wizard's Asylum and Vintage Stock on Memorial, if the first two don't have what I need. Occasionally, I'll head out to StarBase21 if I'm adamant about finding a certain comic before I leave Tulsa.

So anyway, I thought it would make for an interesting discussion, maybe just interesting to me, but who cares? [face_mischief]

2. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Ah, Rising Stars, a friend of mine let me borrow the first trade of that and I thought it was pretty interesting, that was a while ago though.
    I'm kinda poor right now, so the only one i keep up with is New X-Men. I read it for Grant Morrison's writing. I think he is the finest writer in comics right now.
    You should check out the series he used to do for DC/Vertigo called The Invisibles. I would say its probably the best comic I've ever read.
    Its pretty cool.
    I've never read any SW comics though, except for a few here and there. I don't know why, but I've never really been in to too much EU.

And on a side note, haha, that Vintage Stock on Memorial, I went up there one time and in the little bin of $0.99 toys, I found a Vintage White Bespin Guard just hanging out with all the mcdonalds toys. I was pretty excited to find an old SW figure in good condition for only $0.99, even if it was a lame one like that.

3. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Where do I get my comics? WIZARDS ASYLUM (WA)!!! As far as comic shops go, Jimmy runs a first-class shop. Example: While I was in Okinawa in 1995, I set up a subscription list with Jimmy with the idea that my wife would pick up my books for me while I was away. I visited his store maybe half a dozen times over that year. By no means was I a weekly customer. Anyway, I come back from
    Okinawa in 1996 and movedto NC where I sat up a subscription list at a comic shop close to the base for obviously practical reasons.
    Jump ahead almost 6 years to June 2001. I get out of the military and relocate to the Tulsa area. I go back to WA to set up a new
    subscription list, and guess what? Jimmy remembers my name right off the bat, and he pulls up a file under my name with a listing of all the books I used to collect! Talk about service! In my 20 years of collecting comic books, I have never encountered such overwhelmingly superior customer service as I have at WA. You just cannot go wrong with WA.

4. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    I agree Jimmy kicks major arse. I used to collect comics alot... All the X-men and there spin offs, spawn, Witchblade, Fathom, Darkness, All things Star Wars (duh)Rising Star and so many others i can't remember.

He is a really nice guy, its cool that the meeting should start to be there too. WOOHOO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.