main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Comic Con '06

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sol_Jedi, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'll try to post up the Comic Con pics I took as soon as I can. I had a great time and I wouldn't have changed it for anything in the world. I got Carrie's autograph and she was very nice

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I feel left out

SR, so the numbers couldn't be kept on the armour then?

3. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    Sorry, LB, didn't mean to leave you off but I wasn't sure you were a LAFF person. I always thought you were a LUN rather than a LAFF. (Yeah, great use of acronyms. Sorry x2, LB)

4. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Well I'm back too. I really had a good time. This year was much different for me than previous years. I didn't see as many panels, but this was the first year I put on a costume and got to be a part of the show.

Preview night was busy. I had never been before but I'm glad I did because I did get a bunch of line standing out of the way. Thanks VK and S_J for saving me a spot in line. I was able to pick up my 501st figures but no Transformer as they ran out right before me for the evening.

The FanForce dinner was great. I can't believe so many people showed, 83 I think was counted. Britt took photos so I'm sure they will be posted somewhere. I sat with LB, Bryan, and JF77. We had some very interesting dinner conversation.

Thursday was cool because I felt all important and stuff with a job to do. I met Mary Franklin that afternoon in Ballroom 20 to work out what we were going to do for the Fan Film Awards. It was pretty simple, stand on stage while people came in and "guard the awards" until Steve came on stage to make a joke. Then we walked off. It wasn't too big or anything, but I had a great time. I couldn't keep the sticker on but I was the one on the far right.

Friday was SW day and I spent most of the day in Rm 2 with JF77 watching all the panels. The Hasbro one reall makes me wish I had tons of money and room. JR, you and DH would have loved it. The next one was pretty interesting it was about model making and an upcoming book much like "Dressing A Galaxy" it will come either with a DVD and mini model for $375 or without a dvd and model for much less. Then there was the LucasArts panel that really was spectacular if you love video games. The technology they introduced is really facinating. It was called Euphoria and something else I can't remember but it made the characters very life like.

I had to leave after that one to put on the costume once again and make my way to Hall H for the Steve Sansweet spectacular. It was so much fun walking around passing out the buttons. I couldn't see a thing and I kept running into people and I coudn't see inside my bag to even pull out a button. It was hilarious. I didn't see any LAFF people in the presentation, but I did see the LUN people. The presentation itself seemed like a long commercial, but I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the announcement of the marching in the Rose Parade. We sort of knew that was what it was going to be but now we have confirmation. I really hope our Garrison gets picked. I think we did a good job.

So then I missed Snakes on a Plane! I had to go back to the room for a change and then it was off to the 501st dinner. It was ok, but not as good as the place in Glendale we went to. The service really was bad and there was really no entertainment, especially the dancers.

Saturday was the 501st picture early in the morning. That's where I saw Daisy in her Mara Jade outfit. It was so very hot out there. After that DB and I headed to the Lost panel which by the way was filled to capacity when we got there and they weren't letting anyone else in but we jumped the line because DB said to the lady that we were volunteers dressed as Stormtroopers, so she let us in. The best part of that panel was during the Q&A when one woman got up and started yelling at the producers and telling them that they were all a bunch of liars and that the Honso foundation really existed. We think she could have been a plant because no one tried to stop her and she seemed really rehersed.

I then wished I could have stayed in costume longer and tried to head out to the Exhibit Hall, but I was having malfunctions with my belt. I've lost so much weight recently that the belt won't stay on and it falls below my butt which then causes the backplate to pop out and I just look a mess. So I went back to the room to change. Then back to the con for a couple of more panels like Marvel comics and movies, where we heard that The Hulk, Ant Man, Iron Man, and Captain America will all soon get made. Then in the same room was The 4400

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Goddangit, I need to work on my introductory skills. I still haven't met half of you guys, and I was just at the next table over. :(

Still, glad you guys could make it! :D

6. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    My version of Comic-Con... by D-B

It was ok. I had a balst hanging with the SR and SJ and VK, but the heat was unbearable. I actually swam twice on Saturday.

The superman presentation was great. The had Lois Lane from the first superman series there. (George Reeves) THen, Jimmy Olson and from the new movie. I never new, Lois Lane (from the TV series) (her name is Ellen something...) had a small cameo in the first Superman movie, and in this new one too. So she was infact in all three major productions.

SR dragged me to some Marvel Comic thing. I liked it cause John Faverou (sp?) was there and we got to hear about Hulk 2 and Iron Man. Best of all, I got to hear the guy speak who created Shaun of the Dead.

I am definitely not going next year, especially if I make it to CIV. Too much travel. The content (IMO) was fair, but for my 4th time, the novelty wears off. I also noticed, they ahve toned down the adult entertainment exhibits a lot. I think they are cleaning up the smut/ adult starts.

Spoek with Tumeurroa (sp) Morrison for a while. Totally nice guy, a gentlemen. Since he was nice, I chose to buy his photo and autograph.

Family Guy/ American Dad panel was awesome.

I am still slitting my wrist for the fact I missed Fox panel which had (non published) Reno 9-11, and Ali G. I so would have loved to see Reno 9-11. So pissed. Yes, I would have skipped Lost to see Reno.

501st was fun as usual. Great turn out. During our photo session, the Rebel Legion attacked us with fooam saucer guns. It was an ambush. Kind of funny, kind of lame. First time for everything.

Thanks SR for arranging the hotel (which I upgraded), driving my armor, taking me back to OC, and overall being a good con. buddy. We had fun with Sol Jedi too. Those lushes went through TWO bottles of Jack in 3.5 days. WOW! OK, I contributed some to that.\

Had a wonderful dinner at Harbor House. It was great. I too, to quote Liz "If I return to CC, I will only stay at the Hilton, or I won't stay." Thats so true. The Hilton was terrific, so nice to be close, and treated well.

JR, see your PM. You will be happy.

My photos are nothing special. Only got a few good ones, but less than 10.

7. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm back -- drove up from San Diego to work this morning.

Whenever I see everybody, will regale you with my Carrie Fisher stories. SR, SJ and DB have already heard them. I sent Saturday afternoon with Carrie as she walked around the exhibit hall buying presents :). It was surreal.

8. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    And your memory skills, because we did meet. I obviously don't make a very good impression. It wasn't at the dinner we spoke but at the Fan Force table 30 minutes before the dinner.

9. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Once again, I got to hang out with some of you terrific people from the LAFF and had a blast doing it!

Thanks to my adopted son SJ for saving us a spot in line on Wednesday evening! I enjoyed hanging out with you several times during the whole thing! Did you get your Nintindo shirt from the "married" lady? [face_shame_on_you]

JN, I ended up losing you in the mass of humanity, but glad I got to connect for a bit.

Finally got to meet VK. Thanks for letting me join you for breakfast on Saturday! I didn't end up running into you again after that to pay for the John Williams concert. Looks like I need to send it to you.

DB, I hung out with both of your room mates, but never got a chance to meet you.

SR, you're terrific! It seems I always have an interesting time when I'm hanging out with you. Thanks for waiting at my door so I could see your Trooper outfit! I never ended up getting a picture, though. I seem to remember you mentioning working on costumes. Sounds like fun and I need all the encouragement I can get!

I know I met others, but I don't remember everyone. Thanks again to everyone for helping make the Comic-Con so much fun!!

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    its cool, and yeah, LAFF now. Basicly, since whenever I began posting here. blame Miana.

SR, so now that solves the question of what your uniform looks like then... nice. Bummer about the numbers not staying on though.

Jedifan, you'd have met me on preview night, mainly the walk to the fan force dinner

11. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I told them that if they just run up and start pushing 501st down the stairs domino-style, I'd give them $100 for every trooper that fell. [face_laugh] Looks like they tried something safer.

12. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    That's right LB77. Now that you mention it, I remember meeting you. I met so many terrific people! Sorry I left you out! I'm looking forward to September when I get to join the LAFF again at the John Williams concert! It's sad, but I've never been to the Hollywood Bowl, so I'll need directions and such!

13. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    That was awesome. Good Greek food, great companionship.

"Pitching Lucas" deserved both awards...hilarious.

I was there. I don't think you gave me my button, though. The button reminded me of my long-lost "May The Force Be With You" button that I got at the Chinese in '77...big and klunky and very 1970s-looking. A memento of my youth. No, I don't still have it. Darn it!

You should have did what I did and just stayed put for the New Line event. It was weird seeing just how many SW fans bailed on that. There was a mass exodus of Jedi, Stormtroopers and other miscellaneous SW fans after the Sansweet panel was over. Samuel L. Jackson totally rocked the house and so did that snake wrangler and his Python and Anaconda buddies. He knew Hall H was huge so he had to bring his biggest "pets" for show-and-tell. Banana the albino Burmese Python was gorgeous. It made me want to go out and get an albino Ball Python. Ball Pythons are determinate in size unlike Burmese Pythons, rarely getting longer than 5 feet. And most of them have very sweet dispositions. Some are fearful and those are the ones with a tendency to wrap themselves in a ball (hence the name) to protect themselves. I've never seen a "fear biter" Ball Python. Someday...{sigh} Nobody asked Sam the question I was tempted to ask -- "What would Master Mace Windu have done in a snake-filled plane?"

{AOL}Me too!{/} My Jedi belt was coming unfastened both from the front buckle (gonna fix it with some Krazy Glue in the mechanism, it's just on for show) and the back. I am thinking of replacing the two back snaps (one fell apart when I got it!) with a big honkin' piece of industrial Velcro, bonded on with leather cement. I was able to keep it together for a time on the Exhibit Hall floor and for Rebel Legion qualification pictures but by the time I got to Hall H I just had my velcro-closing insta-obi on, no belt. That's enough to keep the costume together, but not 100% authentic.

Actually according to Grey Jedi it seems like my outfit qualifies. Black belt and pouches and all. She didn't give an "official" opinion but her off-the-record opinion was that it works.

BTW you looked dashing in your outfit, SR. "I'm Skyrider and I'm here to save you." Very, very cool.

Yeah, it was great meeting you and every other LAFF-er and SDSWS-er and others. I've got to start coming to LAFF events. Starting with our party on Friday. Vive la France!

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    have tickets been bought for that, or what? esp since I think LUN will be having a contigent with no planning on that front yet

15. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    The answer is Eight. I think I got eight free ones. I was on fire. Best was Side Show Props and Revenge of the Nerds. So sorry again Scott about Transformers. I know its a bummer to wait and not get the item. Used to it from C III.

16. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, I have bought 21 tickets. I now have two extra tickets because Daisy can't go. The link is here.

17. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I've posted my pictures here. I didn't take very many of people for some reason. I didn't have it on me Preview night. I'm kicking myself for that one. The best I guess is of Bryan and Tony, you'll see.

Comic Con 2006 Skyryder Photos

18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm nicknamed Dory for a reason. [face_laugh]

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    as i sit here assembling $70 worth of bust-ups i bought at con, i take note that junk like this means only underscores that i any requirements for future dating will mean someone that doesn't mind that i will have bust-ups displayed

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Try being a single 40 something librarian with a Rebel symbol tatooed on your ankle living in a small town. Dating is... not sure there's even a word for it. I feel your pain and understand your position, as I go through all of the goodies I brought back from a wicked time at the CC!!

21. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    see, i can't help but think that you've got far better odds in the 40 singles range looking for men that can accept that than i do looking for girls in the 20 range. esp since all the stereotypical 'bad boys' haven't died off from car accidents and alcohol poisoning yet. and esp since its me.

unrelated, does anyone have an extra of the bust-up exclusive, possibly?

22. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    $70 worth of Bust-Ups! I'm sort of jealous. I only have a few mainly freebies from cons and from buying the larger busts. They really look good for being so small.

Speaking of dating, I went to this mixer for my people while at Comic Con. I was not really impressed with my options there. I'm too picky I guess.

23. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Don't EVER lower your standards SR! I wasn't so picky the first time around and got myself one heck of an exhusband. I'm being much choosier this time round!! Love me, love my SW fasination... and my padawan and the dogs. Also, if they can't handle 4 1/2 days at Comic-Con, I guess they're not the right person, huh!!

24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    70 dollars worth of bust-ups would be far better if i had somewhere to put them....this is 14 more.... i already have 12 on display. so no idea where these will go, exactly. these things are addictive though.
    though, the wampa is one i'd definitly recommend. the thing is huge for a minibust

my issue isn't my standards. its their standards. heh.

25. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    Hey all, CC was great again this year.

The preview night dinner was great with fans everywhere. It's funny that the Greek place didn't appeal to me as I was so hungry at that point I would've eaten a tauntaun. Pizza did the trick. I ate with SJ, DW and David and Luciano, not of LAFF. David works for ILM but I told him that night to say he bags groceries at Vons.

VK, SJ and I watched the SW fan films together. So funny! SR kept the crowd in line and away from the award trophies. Good job.

I stayed with some PBS fan friends up in Santee. It was great. I had wirelss and DirecTV etc. They made me pack a lunch from their fridge food each day so I wouldn't have to eat bad convention hall stuff. I rode in with them most mornings and met up with DW, who stayed at the Hyatt. On Friday my friend Chris, also not of LAFF, came down for the day to see the BSG panel. It was funny but he was sad there was no Starbuck. Chris and I drove up to Del Mar for dinner Friday night.

Overall, I didn't buy that much. So little, in fact, that I can't remember what I bought! There was a booth with comic book software that was really cool. I got to talking with the guy and he gave it to me for free due to my PBS affiliation. It lets me make comic books out of photos of friends, etc. It's really cool.

Sorry I lost you in the crowd, JF77. DW searched and searched for you. He felt bad too.

On Saturday, DW and I sat in on a Dark Horse panel where BeSo participated. DW and I were proud.

The Warner movie thing in Hall H was a bit odd (Friday). No good movies coming out I guess. It was funny that the 'special prize' to red ticket holders was a freeze dried locust. I'm glad I wasn't special! The Spider-Man 3 preview (Saturday) was much better. Heck, they had almost the whole cast up there! One question I never want to hear again: "What did you do to prepare for the role."

Don't tell but I skipped out on Sunday. I heard it was 113 degrees or something insane in Pasadena and I had to make sure my tarantula hadn't fried. Yes, I know she likes the heat but still...

Good fun, good friends. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.