San Diego, CA Comic-Con 2003

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by threepio_mania, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threepio_mania Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm really looking forward to going. Who else is planning on going? I have been to Comic-Con twice and have had a great time, although you can only stand the exhibit hall for so long before you feel like you're going to go crazy. Last year I went to the Star Wars AOTC thing with Sansweet, but I only stayed for about 10 minutes before I got bored and decided to get David Prowse's and Jeremy Bulloch's autographs. When I went there were no lines, which was cool. :)
  2. bh-7603 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i'm pretty sure everyone is going at somepoint at LEAST for sat.
  3. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Are you in San Diego? Our fanforce chapter is going to have a table at the convention, so there will be people from our club at the comic con all 5 days. You should stop by and say "Hi." :D
  4. Volntyr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Speaking of Con, make sure you have a chance to visit Preview Night. It's a ton of fun and only pre-reg members and a few others can attend. The exhibit floor is completely open and less crowded.

By the way Linda, Could I go ahead and remind people what I do at Con? It's the other way of enjoying preview night.

Vol
  5. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Go ahead Luigi.. you have the floor... err.. message board. :D
  6. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    This'll be the 12th year in a row I've been to Comic-Con. I've only lived in SD for 8 of those years.

I moved out here to be closer to Comic-Con.

It is my Mecca.

although you can only stand the exhibit hall for so long before you feel like you're going to go crazy.

Amateur.
  7. Sith_241 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. GreyJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    When is the planning meeting going to happen?
  9. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    We're there all four days plus the preview night. This'll be my second year going pregnant and my third year with a little one in tow but it's still a blast. We've been going for 10 years at least, we've only missed one year when we were in England for our honeymoon.
    You've got to have a system to the dealers room..only way to do it..
  10. JediG60racer Jedi Master

star 4
    We should have the first planning meeting sometime around the end of May, beginning of June. Lots of details that need to be hammered out!
  11. jawamonkey Jedi Master

star 4
  12. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    Did I mention I bought my badge at last year's Comic-Con?

It's much cheaper that way. Only $45 for all four days + the preview night. :)

Of course, some people here want freee badges or something. Weirdos. [face_plain]
  13. Volntyr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ok, here is the scoop...
    If funds are kinda tight and you love to help out, you can sign up as a Volunteer for Comic Con International. All that is requested is that you donate three hours of your time a day and you can enjoy the rest of the day for free. You can volunteer for a day or all four days if you really want to. You decide the three hour time block. It's a fun way to experience the Convention from the Inside.
    If you are curious on what an actual volunteer does, please contact me at my email address (Volntyr@cox.net).

For example, a lot of 501st (and others) volunteered last year and all of them got to "stand guard" at a programming event. Everyone still talks about how cool that was.

Anyways, any questions, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Vol
  14. Darth_Vegeta Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be there again each day. Still haven't ordered my badge yet. Oh well, there's still plenty of time before the next deadline.
  15. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, but the badges get so much more expensive the longer you wait, all the less money to spend at con. :D We're among the ones who bought our tickets last year.
  16. GreyJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm one of the "scum" with a free badge. :p

I'll be at the table every day, but more importantly I'll be working it during the SW panels on Saturday so everyone else can attend them.
  17. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    Everything we do revolves around Gavin and my soon to be bulging belly but we don't go to many panels so we could possibly be at the table then...
  18. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah so... I'm getting a free badge.. but I'd hardly call the comic con "free" for me. I'm paying the cost for a room across the street that is costing me $269 a night. The reason I am doing this is that I have to haul so much stuff for display and other items we need for our table this year, that it is a hassle to hunt for a place to park, and then haul that stuff a mile through downtown with me. Last year I had to "borrow" a shopping cart like a homeless person to haul the stuff to the convention! [face_shocked] I do get to get into the convention roughly 1 1/2 hours before the rest of you, but I need that time to set up the table/display. There is security there at nights, but they concentrate on the dealer areas, and things were stolen last year. So, I plan on taking anything of value with me over to the hotel each night, and then bringing it again each morning.. its a lot of work hauling that stuff. Anyway, my room is right across the street, you are all welcome to use it to relax in, store your stuff (purchases in) whatever. I'll be working the table every day, just not so much on Saturday as I have my Fanforce RSA duties to attend to, 501st and Rebel Legion pictures/events to attend to, SDSWS pictures to do, and of course SW panels to go to. ;)

I am going to TRY to get a portion of the first row roped off for the SDSWS officers and active members, for the Sansweet presentation. *crosses fingers*
  19. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    I am going to TRY to get a portion of the first row roped off for the SDSWS officers and active members, for the Sansweet presentation. *crosses fingers*

Please don't do that.
    It's not fair to the other people who attend the panels.
  20. Darth_Vegeta Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, besides, we got there early enough last year to get in front anyway...God, that really doesn't seem all that long ago for some reason...
  21. me-gonk Force Ghost

star 4
    We're still finding homes for stuff from con last year...it definately does not seem like that long ago.
  22. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Brian,

I am still going to try to get some seats reserved in front (I don't think 12 seats is too much to ask)... you don't have to sit with the club, you didn't last year.. just sit with your "friends" in the second row again. :p
  23. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    Me not sitting with you or whatever has NOTHING to do with what I'm saying.

I am being UNSELFISH. I actually consider the feelings of other people.

From time to time.

Anyway, the Golden rule...do unto others as they would do unto you, or something like that.

Imagine you go to a Star Trek panel and you get there extra early to get a good seat but the first row has been cordoned off by some "elite" group of fanboys. How would you feel?

I get there early.
    I get the best choice of seats.

Getting the best seats because you're some kind of "fan organization" is unfair to those who go the extra mile to make sure they get a good seat.

For example, lets say Toys R Us has a Midnight Madness for the new Star Wars figures. A guy gets there at 11:30am and waits 12 hours in line to be the first one in. However, some group of smarmy fans who think they're better than everybody else gets to go in before all the people who have been there way before these other people got there.

How fair is that?
  24. Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Chill.

I said I would TRY, they will most likely turn me down. And I don't think it is unfair as liningup.net usually monopolizes the first row every year, and they take up more than a mere 12 seats. At least we are San Diego locals, and at least we are promoting Star Wars in the San Diego community... I only want 12 seats for Sansweet's 50 minute presentation, where he will announce WHERE Celebration III is going to be held.
  25. DarthBrian Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't like the liningup.net people doing it either. ;)

But whatever...you're right...they'll probably not let you. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.