main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Comic-Con 2003

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by threepio_mania, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tal-Kender

Tal-Kender Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm going, and being a newbie, would be willing to be a booth go-fer for a shift if needed. I'd even be willing to help set up if needed.

Put me to work!

2. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Will do Tal! Thanks!

Today I ordered 150 good quality pens that have our logo and website on them. These will be for OUR use... given to members and given out to Star Wars VIPS.. actors, writers, LFL people, anyone involved with Star Wars and possible sponsors for our club.

I also ordered 1,000 cheaper pens that will be given out at comic con to anyone who signs up for the club. If they get stolen... no biggee. Do you think I need to order more than that?

3. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I think with the business cards we'll have more than enough to hand people. Not everyone will keep the pens (oh wait, this is con..if it's not nailed down someone will try to obtain it 8-})

4. Volntyr

Volntyr Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    I have an idea...You might want to ration out the pens over the four days.
    The sad thing is, someone might end up taking one and trying to sell it at another booth somewhere on the floor. If not this year, next year.

5. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Dang it! I wish I had seen this earlier! I have a really great company I buy pens from for my business.

From what we experienced last year, I think we may need more than 1000. I can run 300-500 business cards for the club on my printer and combined with the others that should be enough.

6. tk-7603

tk-7603 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2003
    um, jeff parks will be doing our business cards

7. Darth_Vegeta

Darth_Vegeta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    What will be the official hours requirement for the "saber offer"? Between that and regular programming (I completely forgot about potential Matrix stuff), I probably won't be able to put in as much time in at the booth as I did last year, which is probably to my loss :(...I had a BLAST last year! Oh the sacrifices we make for some things... ;)

8. padme_skywalkr

padme_skywalkr Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2002
    May I have a pen? I am traveling from SF just to see you guys! (small side note: Also because Comic Con is the biggest con in the US)... :p

9. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I should be able to put in a few hours (or more) depending on my work schedule at the time. Just let me know where to go and what to do.

10. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    We will not be scheduling hours till July (after the comic con schedule comes out).

And Chanel, you may have one of the "good quality" pens. ;)

11. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ? Um, the Con is in July. Don't you mean in June when the programming schedule comes out? ;)

12. padme_skywalkr

Nov 21, 2002
    Yipee! Well If you guys need any help let me know. I have much experience manning SW booths! Other than that I am volunteering for Comic Con itself. I would like to keep busy so I wont buy anything. Well....too much anyway ;)

13. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Yipee! is right. Padme, please contact me via PM about more information about volunteering for Comic Con as I will be MOST helpful to you in that regard. With Con almost upon us, I need all the help I can get.
    Once again everyone, If you or someone else knows anyone that would like to Volunteer (Stormtroopers are definitely a plus), please feel free to contact me. Comic Con is less than 70 days away, time goes by very quickly.

Vol ;)
    "wondering how I would look as a Grand Admiral...."

14. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    What? No Jedi allowed?

Darm Stormtroopers are always ruining any fun for the rest of us! ;)

15. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Of course Jedi knights and Masters are welcome. More the merrier, I always say. I would just like to know before Con so I can start planning out the schedules.
    To recap, a bunch of stormtroopers signed up as volunteers and I was able to send to do a certain panel for their assignment. The only drawback was that it had to be a No Blaster rule in effect during the time of the shift.
    I am trying to work out something like that again, but need to know who will be able to participate in that capacity.

Vol :)

"Just no pervy hobbit-fanicers...hehehe"

16. tk-7603

Feb 9, 2003
    i'm not sure of my schedual yet, but i'll voluntyr! as a trooper, i dont car about teh no blaster rule as a trooper

17. padme_skywalkr

Nov 21, 2002
    Thats what I thought. There cant be a no Jedi policy (but there is a no weapon prop policy). I have proof!
    [image=http://www.vanecek.com/chanel/images/wc03/wcvolunteers.jpg]
    A jedi volunteering to the right (BTW dats meh!) & a 501st supporter to your left. The pics a lil distorted but its clickable.

18. Arma_Geda-Mandalore

Arma_Geda-Mandalore Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    What the....? Is EVERYTHING a no blaster thing? I find this quite absurd if it is. It's like taking away the Lone Ranger's mask or telling a cowboy "no horses". Preposterous!

19. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    Hey Chanel.. so you will be volunteering huh? Great! :D

20. tk-7603

Feb 9, 2003
    well after 9/11 i supose security is a little crazy...i would understand if i was home, but i wouldnt think i matterd out here. Nothing significant for terrorist to look at...

21. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Terrorists aren't interested in California. As Gallagher said: "Living in California is like living in a bowl of granola; what isn't fruit and nuts is flakes."

Of course what people don't realize is that most Californians are from someplace else! :p

22. padme_skywalkr

Nov 21, 2002
    well I dont know the exact policy but it was okay to have props with you inside the con but while your volunteering it couldnt be visible. So I kept my lightsaber behind a booth inside the con. But at the con almost everybody had props with their costumes.

23. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    well after 9/11 i supose security is a little crazy...i would understand if i was home, but i wouldnt think i matterd out here. Nothing significant for terrorist to look at...

We have a nuclear submarine base in San Diego.
    Not to mention Miramar marine base.

If a Nuclear war starts, we're at ground zero.
    Ain't nowhere else I'd rather be.

No, that's not from a song. :p

24. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Here here brother...give me a Smirnoff Ice and a lawn chair...

25. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Ok, this is getting out of hand before it even started. The reason why a Volunteer is not allow to have "weapons" on their selves when they are volunteering is that

1) The item might get in the way of the actual volunteering assignment
    2)The item might get damaged in some way which I do not want to be liable for.

This goes for Stormtroopers, Jedi Knights, Ren Faire people, Smurf Hunters, and petite fairy princesses with wands.

Costumes that have weapons are allowed, just not when a volunteer is on assignment. It's not because of any terrorist action or anything like that.

As for costuming, as long as the person is able to perform the volunteer assignment without going out of the dress code (like having shoes for instance...trust me, someone about two years ago didnt believe in shoes, not even sandals)it should be ok. It will have to be a case by case basis, but i dont see any problems with Jedi robes.

And remember, if you dont want to volunteer, then you dont have to. :)

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Vol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.