main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Comic-Con 2004! (Updated Daily)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sith_241, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I was kind of surprised we have no comic-con forum yet (other than the room situation). I for one would like to be kept updated on developments concerning con!

Edit: Comic Con Website Added the Comic Con website so that you can keep track of the exhibitors and guests as they are added - MJF

2. vkyoshi

vkyoshi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    I think that is on the agenda for the meeting tomorrow. anyway i'm looking forward to it . i've taken that week off work as usual.

3. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Great, the perfect place to ask. I posted this in the wrong place and was directed here, so I'll just copy-and-paste my post here. :)

I don't plan to attend this year's Fangoria Weekend of Horrors con, so my brother and I are interested in attending this year's San Diego ComiCon. But we've never been to one before, and I was just wondering what we could expect? Is it strictly for comic books, or is there also movie-related stuff too? I think I read that Stephen Sommers and Hugh Jackman appeared last year to talk about VAN HELSING?

Are there a lot of people (convention attendees) who dress up in costume? We've always wanted to try that, and I have a costume in mind, but have been afraid we'd be the only ones. haha!! Are there many STAR WARS celebrities there? In regards to all the cartoon-related stuff (like memorabilia and such), is it a nice variety of both old and new? I like a lot of the old '80s cartoons and was just wondering if I would find much from them.

And I read somewhere that the celebrities aren't allowed to charge for autographs. Is this true? If so, that's great, because after spending $15-$20 a person at the Fangoria conventions, it'd be nice to have enough money left to buy some memorabilia.

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    I don't plan to attend this year's Fangoria Weekend of Horrors con, so my brother and I are interested in attending this year's San Diego ComiCon. But we've never been to one before, and I was just wondering what we could expect? Is it strictly for comic books, or is there also movie-related stuff too? I think I read that Stephen Sommers and Hugh Jackman appeared last year to talk about VAN HELSING?

While the primary focus of the convention is comics, comic books, and the comic book industry, there is a lot of non-comics stuff going on every year... the past couple of years, many Hollywood studios come down to promote upcoming films -- Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie, etc were in last year to build hype for their upcoming films by talking at panels.. many studios show off special features that aren't seen anywhere else yet, such as behind-the-scenes footage from upcoming films, etc. There is also a lot of space devoted to gaming, to anime, to toy collecting, and more. Star Wars always has some sort of presence, as Comic-Con was where it was first screened in 1976 (before it opened in 1977).

Are there a lot of people (convention attendees) who dress up in costume? We've always wanted to try that, and I have a costume in mind, but have been afraid we'd be the only ones. haha!! Are there many STAR WARS celebrities there? In regards to all the cartoon-related stuff (like memorabilia and such), is it a nice variety of both old and new? I like a lot of the old '80s cartoons and was just wondering if I would find much from them.

lots of costumes to be seen -- Star Wars is always popular, as are characters from comic books, anime, fantasy, sci-fi, horror etc. there are usually quite a few SW celebrities... last year, Jeremy Bulloch hosted the SW fan film awards, and Daniel Logan was also around, and our own club had a SW actor signing in our booth: John Morton, who played Dak Ralter in ESB.

there are usually quite a few dealers who sell 80s cartoon merchandise, and sometimes even copies of the shows themselves... quite a few toy dealers who have bits of our childhood for sale...

And I read somewhere that the celebrities aren't allowed to charge for autographs. Is this true? If so, that's great, because after spending $15-$20 a person at the Fangoria conventions, it'd be nice to have enough money left to buy some memorabilia.

Celebrities signing in the convention's autograph areas are not allowed to charge for signings, however, they often can sell photos which they will sign for free. Some booths in the giant exhibition hall might get a star to sign at their booth, and they may charge for such autographs (like Lou Ferrigno every year). Popular stars might have long lines for autographs, so if you are really trying to get a big star's signature, you might have to camp out for quite a while.

a big star might not necessarily be a movie or tv star, but also a famous comic book author or artist or a director or whatnot..

5. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I should be able to find out sometime this week if we'll be able to go. Do any of those big stars (like Jackman and Berry you mentioned) do autograph signings as well, or do they just show up for a panel discussion and that's it?

EDIT:Oh, and another question about costumes. How does the ComiCon handle it if your costume requires a weapon? I thought that perhaps they wouldn't allow them post-9/11, but then I saw pictures of some girls dressed like Lara Croft and they had some firearms, and so did some other costumed-people. Do they just check them at the door before you enter? My costume might require an M-16 (fake, of course :) ), so I was kind of concerned about that and wanted to ask.

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    They will put a piece of bright colored tape on anything that looks like a real weapon. However, it is easy to tear this piece of tape off when you get on the exhibition floor. Furthermore, they sometimes don't even enforce the rule when you're entering the floor. Last year some security guards wanted to tag my Jango blasters. So I turned around and walked to another entrance and the guards there didn't bother me at all.

7. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    yeah, my saber got taped, and as soon as i walked in the door i took it off.

Then when i had my E-11 rifle, nobody bothered me at all.

8. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Cool!

Man, I'm really jazzed. Hope I'm able to go. Probably know for sure by the end of the week. Then all I'll need is a few more pieces for my costume, and I'll be set. :)

9. Sith_241

May 23, 2001
    what costume is it?

10. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Oops! Thought I'd said it. I'm thinking Duke from G.I. JOE. (I've been on such a high lately following the first season release on DVD. lol!!) My dad's got a nice collection of Army uniforms, so I've found that we already have most of what I need. Just need to pick up a couple patches and a belt or two, and I'll already be set. :)

11. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Comic Con will be hosting the third annual Star Wars fan film awards once again:

One event that is definitely confirmed is the return of the Star Wars Fan Film Awards. This is the last Comic-Con prior to the release of Star Wars: Episode III in 2005, so Lucasfilm promises a Star Wars spectacular you won?t forget. The third annual Star Wars Fan Film Awards Ceremony, which last year packed a 2,000-seat auditorium, will be held Thursday night, July 22. Last year's ceremony was hosted by Jeremy Bulloch (?Boba Fett? himself), and George Lucas (on tape) presented the top prize, followed by a hilarious presentation of the Star Wars Trilogy in 30 Minutes by an incredibly inventive troupe of actors. And once again Comic-Con will host ?Star Wars Friday,? with morning-to-evening panels and presentations on every aspect of the films, the expanded universe, and the merchandise. Lucasfilm?s Steve Sansweet will host the main presentation and will undoubtedly bring his usual bag of surprises and never-before-seen goodies.

12. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Lucasfilm?s Steve Sansweet will host the main presentation and will undoubtedly bring his usual bag of surprises and never-before-seen goodies.

i.e. SPOILERS!!! :eek:

13. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Typically, what are the ComiCon's hours? Like noon to evening or so?

14. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    usually from like 9:30 to 6 or 7, something like that. I forget, exhibitors get in earlier and leave later so I'm not so sure.

15. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Parts of Comic-Con (Movies, Anime, Gaming) are 24 hours a day. Exhibit hall and panels are usually only from 9:00am to 6:00pm.

16. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Really? 24 hours!? Geez! Well, I'm more interested in just the panels and the vendors, so I like those hours. Very similar to the Fangoria con hours I've been to.

17. JediNyt

JediNyt Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    I already pre bought my ticket at last Comic Con so I guess itll come in the mail soon...I hope. I do plan to help at the booth and I will be there every day so If you need help with anything just ask. Maybe Ill get a chance to get a free Parks Saber too. :D

18. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Well, looks like I'm going. Finally found a hotel with reasonable rates after nearly two-and-a-half hours of searching and made reservations. Now we just need to purchase the tickets. Yahoo!! :D

19. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    JediNyt, they didn't give you anything when you preregistered last year? When my family bought our tickets they gave us three folded, pamphlet-sized things with our badge numbers and what not on it. I assumed this is what we use to get our badges on preview night.

20. vkyoshi

vkyoshi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    heres some bad news about the con this year. it seems the padres (the local pathetic ball team ) is having home games all that week . as you know the new ballpark is right across the street from the convention center. now some of these bone heads have sugested that the con dates be changed so they can use the convention center parking for the game. the other idea there talking about is raiseing the cost of parking to the same as the other lots around town during the game . around 20$ or more .
    at any rate theres a good chance of us fans getting screwd in the interest of making money for some rich guys becuse they wanted a park with a view .
    (can you tell i'm bitter)

21. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    I'm glad they got a new stadium. Qualcomm is an outdated piece of junk. However, it does suck that they will be having home games during that whole week. That will cause some parking problems for sure. Damn, that's gonna be like $100 in parking alone if they raise it to that price.

22. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    I'm glad I'm staying at the Marriott right next door ;).

23. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    What great opportunity to advertise the club.

We should all go to a game in Star Wars costumes.

You know that would make the evening news.

24. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Well, fortunately for us, our hotel is ten minutes from the convention center and my mom will just be dropping us off each day. But still, that sucks that they may jack up the parking price to that much.

25. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    According to the schedule, the home games are all the week after Comic Con. Where'd you hear this from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.