main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Comic-Con 2004! (Updated Daily)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sith_241, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    There were lots of people working for the fan club, etc. last year as well, myself included. Is it the times that they're working or something, I don't understand.

2. MasterBarkeep3633

MasterBarkeep3633 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    Well, I don't know about the rest of you... but I intend to wear my costume every damn day ! Heh.. Good new is I MIGHT have my Tie Pilot costume ready by then too ! (been working on it at break at my job at Carvins... it's cool working in a place that makes guitars !)
    In fact, the ONLY day I won't be wearing a SW costume is Preview Night Wed ! Heh... Can't wait.... SOOOO excited !
    JERMS/Tk-3633 !!!

3. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I'm excited to. Finally got my costume done today, too. Also been getting together comic books, pictures, DVD inserts, etc. that I am taking to have signed. I'm really looking forward to my very first San Diego ComiCon. :)

4. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Parking situation:

Thank Volntyr (Luigi) for the update on this...

The folks at Comic-con in discussion with the ballbpark/Padres have received clearance to open up 2 of the 4 ballpark parking lots for Comic-con. This works out to about 2000 parking spots available for ~$10 per day. The spots are 2-3 blocks from the convention center. Shuttle buses will be running to and from these lots.

Fantsatic Four fans: Comic-con is working on securing the cast of the in produciton FF movie. Jessica Alba will be there of Friday or Saturday. It is rumor at this point but it has a chance of happening.

So Yeah....more places to park! I looked at the con page and it's charging $8 for parking so it's not to bad a price.

5. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    Any one going by/past poway that is going to be there first thing in the morning ? I'll help pay for parking ! (Hey, I figure if we carpool, less gas used, less polution made, more money saved by all, am I right or what ?)
    JERMS/TK-3633

6. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    There were lots of people working for the fan club, etc. last year as well, myself included. Is it the times that they're working or something, I don't understand.

Last year there were two registers and about 5 support people for line control. This year there are six registers and about 30 support people for line control. It's a HUGE increase over last year and makes scheduling for pictures very tight.

I will not be able to make any of the pictures because I'm working before and after the big SW presentation at 12-2pm (which is another reason for the change in photo schedules; LFL has never done such a large and long presentation on Saturday). It's very hard to try and schedule picutures around the avialability of 30 different people but Tim is doing his best.

7. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Actually, Britt is going to be heading up the RL/501st photo coordinating now. He asked Tim about it and Tim asked him if he could do it. So he'll be posting the tentative times on the RL and 501st websites. It's possible that the 2:30 time for the RL photo could be changed to the morning so everyone can change if need be.

8. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey Grey Jedi...will be arriving down at the convention on Wednesday, as Master Ash will be displaying some of her work (Yup, she got into the Art Show!!!! Now if a certain someone from LFL will take a look at her work! :)

Will be checking in at the table for you and Linda

So,,see everybody there!

Tulare County Order of the Twin Suns Transmission Over

Master -K-

9. Ultimate_Mamas_Boy

Ultimate_Mamas_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    Grey Jedi

Hello ...
    Sitting here with Kenobi, just finishing up the new training armor for us, ought to be interesting. Looking forward to meeting you. Now, back to saber practice...

See you at the con (and looking forward to meeting the rest of San Diego..Master Kenobi talks alot about you..then he just talks alot!)

And remember "Always approach certain wizards with extreme caution"

Anakin

10. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Barry, thanks for posting this. I've already talked with Britt. My best advice for photos is to check in at the booth before Saturday to see if the times have changed. Plans have a way of changing up to the day of the shoot.

And yes Mama's Boy, Master Kenobi is fond of chatting away. ;)

And I can't wait to meet "mom". [face_laugh]

Three days and counting....

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I got a question...

My friend Kellie has been trying to drag me to these for years and I've never wanted to go. Plus, all I hear about is the Anime stuff she sees (blah).

So... what exactly do you DO at Comic Con? :confused:

12. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Spend 3 days trying to see everything on the dealer's room floor. [face_laugh]

It's not just anime, most of the big movie studios like to preview their fantasy/action/sci-fi stuff coming up. There's supposed to be an announcement about the casting of The Fantastic Four movie.

LucasFilm is going to be a HUGE presence because of the last movie coming out next year.

I'm not into anime either, and I stay plenty busy at Comic-con. It's not an event, it's an experience. ;)

13. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    The cast for FANTASTIC FOUR has already been announced, but I see on the ComiCon's programming schedule that they've added a panel with them. Michael Chiklis is the only one I care about seeing, though.

I also received an email saying that some of the cast from JUSTICE LEAGUE, TEEN TITANS, and BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES will be at a booth on Saturday. It appears a lot of people are going to be there that aren't even listed on the main ComiCon site. Strange.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    It appears that there will be special trolley service (green line) that will run from Qualcomm Stadium and Old Town straight to the Convention center on Saturday and Sunday every 15 minutes (8:30 am to 9 pm on saturday, 8:30 am to 6pm on sunday) in addition to regular trolley service.

http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCI04-trolley.html

also don't forget that Comic-Con runs 4 different shuttle services around downtown, including to various parking lots and hotels and trolley stations...

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh, sweet...

But then comes the bigger question...

How much?

16. JawaGen

JawaGen Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    I looked at the page but i didnt see the time for the shuttles... maybe i missed it or something does anyone know... and yea how much aree the shuttles? :D

17. tronkelly17

tronkelly17 Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2004
    Hi! I think I can answer those last couple o' questions. How much is admission? 60 or 65 dollars at this point for all 4 days- register on line to avoid the HUGE line. I think it's 25 dollars for single days.

The hotel/parking lot shuttles are free. They don't ask for room keys or anything. Just check out the schedule and take the shuttle that gets you close to where you need to go! And the schedule is on the Comic-con.org site.

Hope that helps.
    Tracy

18. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    I have a 4-day badge that I'm not using is anyone wants to buy it off me.

19. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    THe shuttles are free -- but don't have set schedules... basically they have one or two buses for each shuttle route and they just keep doing that loop over and over again... so it might be every 1/2 hour or more.

the trolley is more frequent, about every 15 minutes in most places (santee not included) and usually more frequent in the downtown area, because the two lines share the same track.... trolley fares depend on how far you go... if you are within downtown, it's $1.25 one way..
    or if you plan on using transit (bus and trolley) for the whole day:
    1-day transit pass = $5.00
    2-consecutive day transit pass = $9.00
    3-consecutive day pass = $12
    4-day pass = $15

20. red-13

red-13 Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2004
    Hey SD peeps, i'm actually from the SF group but will be joining the masses this week at Comic-con. As a first timer in SD, can any of you guys recommend some good restaurants and places to hangout (outside of CC of course) while in SD?

21. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Miana Kenobi - The 4-day pass is up to $60 now, I believe. Single-day passes for Thursday and Friday are $25, Saturday is $30, and Sunday is $10. I think that's what I saw on the ComiCon site last night.

22. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    Is any one going to preview night who can give me a lift ? I get off work at 3 and would like a ride down if at ALL possable (will pitch in for gas/parking/whatever) . Also... I know we discused this before... there is the cheapest place to park ? Thanks !
    JERMS/Tk3633

23. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Here are the pictures I took today when Michael, Brendon E., Kenneth, and Paul and I were putting the X-Wing together. The X-Wing didn't exactly make it from Denver without a scratch... several pieces were broken, but between us and the Freeman group, it should look great for the con. After it leaves here on Sunday, it heads to Texas for a show, then back to Denver.

http://public.fotki.com/MaraJade/comic_con_2004/

24. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    Red-13 : lots of cool places to eat in the Gaslamp quarter which is adjacent to the convention center. most of these places are not cheap, but some are reasonable. also quite a few bars and clubs.
    http://where2eat.com/Gaslamp_restaurants.htm
    (check out all 6 pages of restaurants)

around horton plaza (also downtown) are quite a few lunch places and the mall itself has a food court on the top level. next to horton plaza's northside at the 7/39NBC building is a mcdonalds, and a baja fresh, and one of my favorites, the bangkok chicken.

Seaport Village has a few restaurants in it, both quick-serve and table dining.

around the downtown office buildings there are quite a few deli and sandwich shops, for quick bites to eat. a bunch of good sandwich shops and Italian restaurants as you get into Little Italy, which is north of downtown along India St. (either a long walk or a short trolley ride) Mimmo's makes good subs and calzones, while Orbit Earth has nice soups and sandwiches made to order.

Good mexican food can be found in touristy Old Town which is either a drive or trolley ride away. Casa de Pico and Casa de Bandini have pretty much the same menu, and are decently priced, and the margaritas are good. Rancho El Nopal is ok. El Fandango is more expensive.

Food of all types and price levels can be found in Hillcrest, just north of Balboa Park along University or Washington (also a drive). Good Thai and Indian places mix with fusion cuisine, Ethiopian cuisine, a chicken pie shop, taco shops, and fast food drive-thrus along University Ave and El Cajon Blvd.

While in San Diego, gotta get a good fish taco or burrito somewhere... Wahoo's, Fins, La Salsa, Rubio's, and Baja Fresh are quick-serve places with decent fish tacos. (There is a La Salsa at horton plaza, and a baja fresh just north of the mall). for some reason when these chains go up to the bay area, the food quality drops off... eat it here and enjoy!

If you want supercheap:
    there is a walk-up taco shop at 12th & Imperial with good burritos or you can go to the Ralphs grocery store which has a good sized deli and salad bar.

25. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Here are the pictures I took today when Michael, Brendon E., Kenneth, and Paul and I were putting the X-Wing together. The X-Wing didn't exactly make it from Denver without a scratch... several pieces were broken, but between us and the Freeman group, it should look great for the con. After it leaves here on Sunday, it heads to Texas for a show, then back to Denver.

OMG is that the Star Wars Pavillion???????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.