main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Comic-Con 2004! (Updated Daily)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sith_241, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Well this is what it looks like so far... it won't be finished until tomorrow. It looks great so far though... lots of things had me drooling today already... including Star Wars Legos, and crates of merchandise sitting on the floor, and the beautiful 2 story lighted features with yoda and a certain "new character" for Episode 3.

2. MasterBarkeep3633

MasterBarkeep3633 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    Is any one going to preview night who can give me a lift ? I get off work at 3 and would like a ride down if at ALL possable (will pitch in for gas/parking/whatever) . Also... I know we discused this before... there is the cheapest place to park ?If any one can call me at 858-504-5814 I'd be VERY Greatful ! Thanks !
    JERMS/Tk3633

3. Arma_Geda-Mandalore

Arma_Geda-Mandalore Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    There was another..........

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yet more rambling questions...

My friends and I are planning to leave here (Temecula Valley) at like 5-6 am to avoid traffic and try to get down there first. With traffic what it usually is, especially in Escondido, we'll get there about 6-7 am. Is it WORTH it getting up THAT early?

5. JediLuner

JediLuner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Miana Kenobi, what day THURDAY!!! yes i will be there early to get parking like 6am or 7am.

WED , maby not do you have a 5day pass, that is a better question, it opens like 5pm i think

POST!!! form site!! Comic-Con's exclusive Preview Night is open only to pre-registered four-day attendees and professionals. This year's Preview Night is on Wednesday, July 21 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

6. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    7 is a good time to get there for parking...

7. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    jerms... tried to call.. got a busy signal.. will call again.. where in town are you/will you be after work?

8. Tal-Kender

Tal-Kender Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2002
    Miana, Yes is it worth it to get there that early, just for the under-the-con parking. You can load up on free stuff, take it to your car, then start all over again. In the morning, you can always find a place to kick back for a few while waiting. Personally I'm planning on taking my posse to Cafe 222, who makes AWESOME banana pancakes.

I'll also be at Preview night and will be traveling the con with a shutter bug, so I'll stop by the booth to see if any help is needed.

9. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    How bad is parking for Preview Night?

10. Tal-Kender

Tal-Kender Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2002
    Depends on when you get there. Remember: It's still a regular business day, so traffic going into Downtown isn't bad, but coming out sucks. We're planning on leaving at 12:30, grabbing food then finding a line to wait in.

Normally it doesn't get ugly until about 3pm

11. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    Well I'm just going to pick up my badge and probably won't get down there until 7:00 or 7:15.

12. HP_HoverCraft

HP_HoverCraft Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2003
    anything going on saturday? i have not checked anything on it because i just found out i will be going this saturday.

i would have rather not known than know what went on over there, get what i am saying?

any help will be great, i know this is late in the game but again, i just found out.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL, sorry for not specifying, but yes, I'm going down tomorrow morning.

I don't think I have any more random questions.. Thanks so much for all your help and I hope to see some of you there! :D

14. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I hope you guys are having a great time! :) I wish I could have been there with you all but Darth Real Life got in the way :( There's always next year!

15. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Con report: Friday night

We've survived the first few days of the Con so far! Our booth, located in the very first row of the exhibitors' hall (aisle 100), has turned out to be an excellent location (with the exception of the poor air conditioning in that particular row, more on that later).

We are sharing three booths between the SDSWS, Parks sabers, the 501st, the OCSWS, IESB.net, and the Rebel Legion. Since many of us are co-participants between the groups, it's actually working out quite nicely. Not as elaborate of a booth setup as last years, but I think that having the simpler booth is more elegant AND it has definitely proven to be far less stressful!!! We're all getting along nicely this year, with each other and with the other groups :)

Jeff Parks has almost sold out of his sabers already, and it's not even the weekend yet!!! His booth got shoved into the far corner of the con, which in theory shouldn't be a high traffic area, but people are seeking him out! It's helped that through his sponsorship of our club, there have been 21+ people wandering the halls of the Con proudly displaying his sabers. He brought 25% more sabers to sell than he did last year (last year he sold out on Sunday), and as of tonight he only had 17 sabers left. We're joking around that he'll be taking most of Saturday off to hit Sea World... but I have a feeling he'll be borrowing my personal sabers he's made for me to show off as demos, and take orders on sabers since he won't have any more to sell.

We've been seeing FanForce members from all over the country since Wed night... I've gotten to meet the CR's from Boston, lots of folks from FF chapters all over the west coast, Denver, Chicago, and some scattered FFers from the east coast. Very cool!!

We've also been seeing friends from other conventions, other fan groups, and just lots of friendly faces. Nearly everyone is having a great time!

The Lucasfilm pavilion is amazing. The X wing, although damaged in transit, was put together nicely and has been putting on a good show. Local members of the Rebel Legion and 501st have been posing in costume with it for every hour of the Con, which is making fans very happy. Not 15 feet from them sit most of the prominent actors from the SW movies, taking pics and signing autographs!!!

Steve Sansweet has been by our booth every day to say hello, bright and early in the morning... great to see him on a regular basis! Of course, the majority of SDSWS members at the Con have been pulling many hours of volunteer work for LFL, doing line duty, running cash registers, you name it - Steve is very pleased to have us helping them out.

We've seen some demos of the Trilogy DVD set that is coming out soon, and they look AWESOME!! Very crisp and clean transfer to DVD format. I'm looking forward to picking up my set in a couple months.

The SW Galaxies game has some new modules that are amazing as well... I think MicDavis is sold on it! He was very impressed, as was I, by the spaceflight parts of the game. Chasing the Millenium Falcon around in a TIE bomber seems to be his kind of fun. Me, I liked flying the X-wing around and blasting TIE bombers. To each his own.

I didn't make the Fanfilm awards last night, so someone else will have to provide a report on that.

Lots of costumers abound - the Inland Empire FF chapter has been showing up in pirate garb and Branden makes a *perfect* Jack Sparrow, even has the accent down pat! And he won't come out of character, which is good and bad... at least he hasn't stolen away with any of our loot yet. ;) Rumor has it that tomorrow they will be showing up as X-men.

This afternoon we had the second annual SDSWS Trivia Panel, hosted by our resident MC Jawa James! We had a bigger room than last year, and still filled it beyond capacity - standing room only. Linda estimates about 150 people. When we walked up to the room, there we actually people waiting ahead of time to come in to the panel!!! Wow! It was a lot of fun, and the winners from each round stuck arou

16. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Short con report...

- Revenge of the Sith is the title of Episode III. They are selling the T-shirts, but you can also order them online.

- Rick McCallum let out a major spoiler about Episode III. :mad:

- Hayden Christensen was at the Star Wars panel with Sansweet not Natalie Portman as was rumored. Carrie Fisher was also at the panel.

17. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    And Darth Brian met Darth Brian!

18. HP_HoverCraft

Aug 25, 2003
    one thing i want to know is, was the line to get to see the star wars panel as long as the Sin City one? (though i am not sure but maybe the one after it as well? cause i stayed for the paramount panel, the Team America stuff was AWESOME! ) cause man, i thought that was the longest line i have ever seen.

i did not get to go to the star wars panel, but now i wish i had as i should have been there for the unvealing of the title :mad:, though i am glad i was not there so i did not hear the major spoiler :)

19. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    MJF how much are the shirts there at the show? I know they are 16.99 online but are they selling them cheaper at the show.

20. HP_HoverCraft

Aug 25, 2003
    well i could answer that for you,no, they are 20 bucks over there. i am not sure if that includes tax either but it might. so maybe they might be a buck or two cheaper.

21. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Hey, if anyone sees Depot (Jason) from Seattle around the Con, please ask him to return my Parks saber blade that he borrowed on Friday to our booth! Looked for him all Saturday long since I wanted to use it, kept hearing "you just missed him" all day long. :(

He's the tall bald guy who wore the Harry Potter quidditch (sp?) outfit on Thursday, Dagobah Luke on Friday (with the cheesy wig and the stuffed Yoda on his back).

Thanks!

22. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    The show shirts are different. They have the Hyperspace logo on the sleeve. The ones online do not.

23. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    ah okay. well I think I will just get it at the online store hyperspace logo isn't worth 4 bucks.

I really wish I was there. It sounds like the con is a total blast this year! A friend and I are talking about coming out next year for sure though.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Heya guys! Rachel from the IE here. Just wanted to thank you guys! I had such a blast at my very first con! It was nice meeting those of you that I did! I look forward to next year!

25. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    zhi-don from the OCSWS here:

i had a blast at the con, the announcement of the new movie title being the highlight. it was fun working with mary and donna for LFL. we also had the honor of working for Jeff at Parks and carrying his sabers around the con. they were so popular, that we had to return them because he ran out. linda was running around everywhere trying to get them back for him. the fan force breakfast was a great, i finally got to meet jedikai from way up north. saturday was a nightmare, the place was packed. my wife and sister came down, but left because there was no place to sit and they almost got run over by the crowd. thanks to everyone who helped out and i hope to see you guys again soon.

oh, i forgot.....steve sansweet liked our new orange death star....kudos to scott brodeen of HMS props for building it.

bye...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.