main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Comic Con 2006 July 19th - 23rd!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Will it be a regular explosion, or a Special Edition one with the added shockwave? ;)

2. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I think the con is one of the few times I will be taking my meds for ADD... either that or be drunk the entire time. hum... I think my meds will be better.

3. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Ahh, Varza, take if from a fellow ADHD'er - Just load up on Mountain Dew and you'll be just fine! (Mountain Dew - the Beverage of ADHDers everywhere!) :D

Orrrr... this is your one chance to go into sensory overload and no one cares!!![face_laugh]

4. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    oh people will care - I just get cranky... course that might be better then being half asleep cause of hte meds...

okay, Moutnain Dew it is... um, caffinee yummy!

5. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Better yet--it'll be the 3-D IMAX version. :p

[Yoda]The Dew, you will do.[/Yoda] [face_laugh]

6. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    It was nice having dinner with you and Lor Saturday night Varza. I hope I was intelligible due to all the tylenol I took for my headache before you arrived at my hotel. It was nice meeting Lor's friend as well. Mmmmm... New Mexican food... green chiles... yummy!

7. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    I had fun as well. Sorry if I was out of it as well - but I had wonderful time. I wish it could of been a longer night. Maybe next time... I'm getting too used to having you out here all the time, gonna go thru withdrawl after the movie is over...

I got to see the pics from yesturday... looks like you guys had fun.

Man, I need to stop looking at the comic-con website for updates...

question - how much money should I bring for the floor? I don't want to go overboard but I want to be prepared before hand.

8. Volntyr

Volntyr Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    It all depends on what your interests are. If you are interested in purchasing carded A New Hope figures, then you might need to bring a little more money as opposed to purchasing Episode 1 figures.
    My best advice is, make sure you go to Preview Night and do a quick scan of the dealers room. Bring the map that is in the center of the program booklet and mark off where each booth that you might want to make a purchase from. It gets hectic in there from time to time and you can forget where booths are.
    Also dont forget that there is several ATM's in the lobby so if you need that special figure or whatever, you can always dash out to the lobby and wait a few minutes in the atm line.

If you need any more tips, just let me know, ok? ;)

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    pay attention to the first sentence... it all depends. some people might blow hundreds or even thousands of dollars on collectibles, artwork, manga, videos, comics, toys, etc. i generally spend around $50 or less on a few comics, books, or convention exclusive items - and most of the places i buy from take plastic. to me, the con isn't about buying stuff - it's about having fun and seeing new and cool stuff, like at the various panels, meeting authors, etc. also, be prepared to stand in line at the ATMs.. i've seen some long lines there.

10. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Another thing is, if you are going to be there at the Last minutes of Con, be prepared for some awesome bargins as most of the dealers want to get rid of stuff so they dont have to carry it back to their shops. I bought a Starscream Cold resin statue last year for about half price and would have bought more if I had the extra money. I would probably spend more money if I actually had time to go into the Dealers room. Ration your cash and you will be enjoying yourself more and more.

11. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Okay, we have a table on the dealer floor. For those of you who pledged, you can send the money to me via paypal at MaraJade@cox.net. For a $20 pledge, you would send $20.90 to cover the paypal fees, for $40 you would send $41.50, for $60 you would send $62.10, for $80 you would send $82.70 and for $100 you would send $103.30. You can also give me the donations at an upcoming meeting or event as well if you'd rather. Any time before now and July is fine, and thanks for your pledges! If I somehow get more than the $850 needed by July, I will let the club know and we can decide if we want to use the extra monies to buy pens or promotional items for the club, use it to buy goodies for the prize baskets, put it in the club treasury, donate it to a charity, or give the monies back to those who donated.

12. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    w00tay!! [face_dancing]

13. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Those last minute deals are getting further and far between and we have found the last few years that if we wait, hoping fora deal it is gone before we can get it. Things are changing a lot since we've been going. I think one problem is as it gets more and more expensive to get a booth the dealers have to charge top dollar to the end to make enough to make it worth coming.

We save for quite a while for con. This is our big blowout and where a lot of our collections come from. Although, we've been finding what we want more and more during the year so it's not quite the blowout it used to be.

Bring what you feel you can afford to spend is the only advice I can give.

14. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    thanks everyone...

I'm not a big collector of figures outside of the few that I just see and have to have - i.e. the dragon from Harry Potter or the Japanese Vaders. I love those types of figures and art work... and I buy those very few, far between, just becacuse they usually cost more then the average figure.

But, I guess the only thing I can do is just save and see what happens... thanks everyone...

15. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Just wanted to clarify something, when I mentioned the very end of Con, I meant the last hour or so. That statue I bought, there was probably about 15 minutes left. There is a flurry of activity on the floor around the booths. Think of it as "ants on a sugarcube" in some cases.

16. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    yeah, I have seen that at some of the cons I have gone to for work - you get some awesome deals

17. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^^^^^^ Show Linda the money!!

18. Danakin_Skywalker

Danakin_Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    You will get mine at the party!!!!!!!!!!!

19. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Well, I got my vacation time approved. Now I need to register. Anyone have room in their hotel for a stealth sized TIE pilot????

20. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Update: got the hotel (Thanks Matt!!!) Now to decide whether to fly, drive, or take amtrak.

21. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    glad you will be able to make it...

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    YAY!!!!!!!!

23. arodofhoth

arodofhoth Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    I finaly got my Boba Fett helmet:D[face_dancing]

24. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Just looking at last years pictures on elvis troopers site I never knew gene simmons from kiss was at comic con walking around.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    He usually is.

Too bad I can't recognize him without makeup. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.