main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Comic-Con 2007 - Anyone? July 26-29th

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I was kind of hoping for a show of hands on the idea of attending Comic-Con this year (July 26th-29th). I know with C4 being in the same year and only a few months before hand, many people have to choose one over the other. I've had so much fun my last two years at comic-con I'd hate not to go, but then again if I don't know many people attending this year a lot of the fun would be gone anyway.

I'm just trying to make a decision within the next few weeks since housing opens up for the convention on Feb 6th!

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

- Kay Dee

EDIT: Stickied. :)

EDIT: Restickied. :)

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I already paid for my membership.

3. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Kelsey and I will be there... though we'll probably be stuck working for a lot of the time.

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Going to CC depends on my financial situation (i.e. a job or not), so I'd like to go, having gone since 2002.

5. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to Comic-con. How long just depends on how many days off I can get.

6. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    I hope to go, but am not sure yet. I still haven't decided whether C4 is worth it to me or not, so I'm very undecided at this point. I know Comiccon is fun tho, so I would like to be there again.

7. NivekSkywalker

NivekSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    i'm going to comic con this year. right now i'm pretty sure that i'm not going to c4.as much as i'd like to go i hate to miss out on what comic con might offer this year

8. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm in, hoping for a preview of Narnia!

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Preview? Heck, maybe the cast might even show up!

10. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Even Aslan???? ;)

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hum, there seems to be fair amount of interest. So have we looked into securing rooms for the SFFF? (Earlier the better I say, as rooms can usually be canceled, but once they are gone they are gone!) I can probably only do this if I can split the cost with roomies. I'd like to stay near the con, but I know those are usually a higher price than most can afford. I can't even remember if registration will only let me sign up for one of those rooms or 2? I certainly don't think we should defer all of this on Robert - I just don't know what's going on or what to do :(

12. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    My homeboy from work wants to roll too so we'll be staying with our friend in San Diego from Genentech's SD plant. More cash to spend on useless crap!

13. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    It's really hard for me to predict at this point. I had an absolutely fabulous time at the con last year and would love to go again, but as kay_dee says, it may well come down to a choice between C4 and SDCC this year due to vacation time and finances.

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Just to put this out there: Comic-Con is every year, but the next Celebration won't probably happen until 2010 for "Empire's" 30th Anniversary.

15. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Or whenever Lucasfilm decides to market something else to generate excitement for the franchise. Afterall, Star Wars is forever...

16. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Robert, is that you? :eek:

17. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Hotels go on sale tomorrow, FYI.

18. NivekSkywalker

May 21, 2006
    i was looking at expedia,com this evening for hotel and airfare. so farn the reasonable rate that ive found was ~$850. i mite go as low as booking at motel 6 at 2nd street and flying southwest.

19. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh crap, thanks for the reminder. You know, I may get a room but since I don't have anyone to share it with I have a feeling I'll have to let it go this year and stay wherever the rest of our Fan Force is staying. Do we have rooms reserved yet? I know you guys were looking at stuff during the meeting but I didn't get an idea if anyone was actually going to put a reservation down. It would be good to get it taken care of soon in any case.

20. NivekSkywalker

May 21, 2006
    how much is the cost of the room for the duration of the convention kathy? looks like i'll have to get the air separately and hopefully catch the right time when southwest starts selling airline tickets for july. i'm willing to split the bill with anyone who is gettign a hotel.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Different hotels are different prices. I *think* the fan force stayed at Hawthorne Suites last year and drove to the convention? Right now that shows up at 161 a night for a room for 4 people.

About half the convention hotels offered through housing tend to be in walking distance from the con. But it is a scramble to get a close hotel in when they go on sale. Omni is 222 a night for 4 people, Horton Grand is 195 for 3 people - etc.

22. NivekSkywalker

May 21, 2006
    if anyone is getting a hotel i'd be willing to share the cost of a room.so long as its not cramped up. and if the cost per person will be less than $500 for the days of the con. if anyone has a spot open let me know.otherwise i'll book this motel 6 at 2nd St.

23. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Kathy, as far as I know, nobody has made a reservation for Comic-con yet. I think we have all been distracted by C4. I remember Robert looking awhile ago and we were surprised at how much prices had changed from last year. But I suppose we should do it soon since those not getting into the close by hotels will have to look at other options after tommorow.

24. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, we can always look today for a hotel for the group. I think the longer we wait, the higher the prices will get because less and less is available.

Reservations can usually be canceled without charges. So I don't understand why we should wait around. Do we have a rough head count? Do we need 2 or 3 rooms?

*EDIT*

I was able to get one room at the Horton Grand - 3 blocks away. Wed-Sun $195 a night 2 queen beds. Should fit up to 4 people. If there are people who want to be walking distance from the convention and would be up to sharing let me know. Otherwise I'll cancel it and go in on a block of rooms farther away from the con with the rest of the Fan Force group.

25. NivekSkywalker

May 21, 2006
    kathy. i lost my chance at the motel 6 room that i was gonna book today. can i chip in for the room? i'm staying in san diego from wed the 25th to sunday morning the 29th. let me know.
    thanks,kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.