Comic-Con 2007 - Anyone? July 26-29th

Discussion in 'San Francisco, CA' started by kay_dee, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    ok.are we just gonna rent one suite? how much is it again so i can set aside my share of the suite cost?
  2. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    autograph signing schedule is up (or has been up) . i just noticed..

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_autographs.shtml
  3. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, it looks like Kevin, Robert and Rachel in one room, with myself, Dale and members of the Golden Gate Garrison in another.
  4. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Dale and I just bought tickets for The Simpsons Movie (10:35 show), and grandstand seats for the Star Wars Symphony.
  5. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    is that the theater up the street from the convention center in an outdoor mall?i think there was a walgreens there. also how much is the room again per night?
  6. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    From the LA Times:

Twentieth Century Fox pulled some of its high-profile projects out of Comic-Con Wednesday, a week shy of the massive movie fan convention in San Diego.

The studio previously announced plans to promote its movies with a star- and filmmaker-studded panel next Friday in the main hall.

The movies included "Jumper," directed by Doug Liman and starring Hayden Christensen; directors Colin and Greg Strause's update to the popular "Aliens vs. Predator" franchise; the Vin Diesel action film "Babylon A.D."; and "Hitman," starring Timothy Olyphant, based on the wildly popular video game of the same name.

Photo: James Dittiger / Twentieth Century Fox

"The material wasn't ready and we only want to go out when we can put our best foot forward," Sean Dudas, the studio's vice president of national publicity, said on Wednesday.

Later in the day, however, the studio was reconsidering its position. Executives said they were still hoping to have some kind of "surprise" for fans at the convention.

The last-minute cancellation is something of a upset as the major Hollywood film studios and their requisite genre divisions have increasingly made the annual trek to Comic-Con to launch and tease eagerly anticipated films and franchises, such as "Spider-Man," "300," and "The Chronicles of Narnia" directly to fans and media. An estimated 123,000 will be attending the convention.

This year Paramount and DreamWorks, Sony Pictures, Walt Disney, Universal, Warner Bros., New Line, Lionsgate and others have announced star-filled panels, screenings, sneak peeks and major promotional events.

"Obviously, we will have to find other ways to get materials out to the fans and hopefully those will be ready soon," Dudas added.

In addition to debuting clips from "Jumper," "Aliens vs. Predator 2," "Hitman," "Babylon A.D.," the studio had planned to tease Fox-Walden's "The Dark Is Rising," and "City of Ember." Fox-Walden did not return calls seeking comment.

Fox Atomic, the studio's youth-oriented genre division, still plans to hold raffles and giveaways around the Kevin Bacon film "Death Sentence" and the Rainn Wilson picture "The Rocker." The boutique division is also showing a line of graphic novels based on "28 Days Later," "The Hills Have Eyes" and "The Nightmare Factory."

David Glanzer, Comic-Con's director of marketing and public relations, said the cancellation was surprising.

"Every major studio usually has a presence at Comic-Con so for Fox to pull out a week before is very unusual," Glanzer said, adding that organizers were still trying to figure out how to fill the studio's time slot. "We're still going back and forth. We have in excess of 350 hours of programming so scheduling is like a giant Rubik's Cube. Otherwise, this year every major studio has committed to show up and participate."

-- Sheigh Crabtree

That is indeed surprising. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comiccon/2007/07/20th-century-fo.html
  7. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    As far as autographs go Star Wars-wise, Dave Prowse will be there Thursday - Sunday, and Matthew Wood will be there Friday - Sunday. There will also be (still unscheduled) a signing by the cast of the upcoming film Fanboys. :)

Also, did anyone get an e-mail from Comic-Con? The sender is "Registration". It is to be printed and brought with you to get registered. There should be a bar code at the bottom.
  8. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    i got that comic con email as well.i'll print that one out in addition to the first one that they emailed me a while back.
  9. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    From the San Diego boards:

"300" SCREENING AT SDCC

Don't miss your chance to see "300", the cutting-edge, heart-pounding visual masterpiece from director Zack Snyder, as you have never seen it before. On Friday, July 27th Warner Home Video will host a special screening of the film on the jumbotron at Petco Park, exclusively for fans of the box office sensation attending Comic-Con. The film will be introduced by Snyder, Frank Miller and cast members from 300. Tickets for the screening are free and will be available to the first 8,000 visitors to the Dark Horse Comics booth (2615) or the Warner Bros. booth. Doors to the screening open at 7:15PM.
  10. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
  11. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    another comic con is over and written in the history books!i arrived home early and safely. thanks to my fellow sffanforce friends for being such great roomies during the past 5 days. the event went by so quickly that i felt like i wasn't really doing much but wandering endlessly throughout the exhibit hall. fortunately i was able to get all my shopping and shipping out of the way as i planned during the first 2 days of the con. i will miss the 4 hour nights of sleep and the filling breakfast at the suite. just like c4 it's too bad that we couldnt all really spend time around the con as a complete group or have dinner together. in addition it's too bad the line capped when i was trying to get into the paramount pictures panel as well as the heroes panel.
    but the highlights of comic con would have to be running into Maso Oki (Hiro) and meeting Spike TV's Nicole Malgarini! hope u guys that are still in san diego have a safe trip back home. thanks again guys! i look foward to SDCC 08!! MTFBWY!!!
  12. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, that makes it 6 years in a row for me, and every year it keeps getting bigger and better! 'Hope some of you who have never gone can go at least once (you know who you are ;) ). Here's to 2008! :D
  13. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Um, this year was not as good as 2006 for me. I had fun, but getting my BSG autographed action figure stolen sucked big time. You can't put your items down even for a second and it is sick. I'm 99.9% sure mine was #215 of 250. It was signed on the left bottom corner and I'm keeping an eye on ebay for the Fraker! :mad:

We Leias were interviewed by NBC. I had a little trouble keeping my composure near the end as you can see. He kept pressing and asking if our friends thought we were crazy. That was getting on my nerves big time.

http://video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=135046
  14. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sorry to hear about that, Kathy. :( I for one trust no one and make myself a little paranoid at times to avoid that. I even put a luggage tag on my camera in case someone found it. Speaking of which, Ed of the GGG got his camera stolen after putting it down to take a picture with someone. I think it was some scam at work. :mad:

Kevin, did you take a picture with Nicole? I just saw her in passing when I went upstairs at GG with Christy for a Spike TV interview after the slave Leia shoot. Here's some video of the shoot (I chose to stay out of the way, even though I was the only guy among a dozen Leias ;))

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=1475790&cl=3496504
  15. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, I was saying to my friend afterward at least it was not something really valuable like my camera. So I'm trying to be thankful that of all the bags that were taken, that was the one.

I totally forgot to tell you guys about my celeb sighting on Monday afternoon! You'd just never believe it! Matt and Dale, remember that fabric store I dragged you guys to a few months ago on Beverly Blvd in LA? Well, as I'm in there looking at lace for a Padme costume, I walked right by a very familiar man shopping in the same aisle and had to do a double take after I said 'excuse me.' It was Billy D. Williams! Yeah, what the heck is Lando doing shopping for fabric? (I guess we know where this scoundrel gets the fabric for "the most expensive and fashionable clothes this side of the Core") I did notice he was wearing a red button up shirt with a very unique print. My theory is that perhaps he buys fabric to have unique custom shirts and clothing made? If he only knew I was there looking for fabric for Star Wars costumes (and Harry Potter) - LOL!
  16. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, ol' "Colt 45" himself?! Maybe Lando was looking for a new lining for his cape. ;)

Kathy, if I see you on Saturday, I'll give you a CD of my CC pics.
  17. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Not sure I'm going to the picnic. I've been gone for a week. I think my husband wants me around this weekend :)
  18. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah matt. i took 2 photos with nicole.she's a really cool person!beforehand i sent her an email through myspace introducing myself and telling her that i was going to attend sdcc. i asked if she was going as well and she said yes. when i ran into her on thursday i didn't even have to introduce myself as she knew (and remembered ) me by name! the pics are on my myspace page. for the next meeting i'll try and remember to burn a cd of my collection of cc pics eventhough they are all pics of boothbabes. =P~
  19. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Nothing wrong with "booth babes", Kev. ;) I'm surprised Nicole wasn't part of the photo shoot though.

Did anyone else get pics with the "Blade Runner" characters?
  20. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, since I was holding my own camera most of the time, I couldn't take photos 'with' anyone. I did take some random photos of the Blade Runner people though. It was hard for me to get too excited about them though, because they were hired guns. I appreciate the fan made/inspired costumes much more :)
  21. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Bantha Tracks coverage:

http://starwars.com/hyperspace/banthaonline/
  22. AnasianSkywalker Force Ghost

star 3
    Sorry I have not posted...after arriving back from SD, I litterally crashed and burned,[face_tired] and have worked 6 days straight until now. Anyway, for those who missed out, here are some sites that have pics and video about CC07:

http://www.scifi.com/comiccon/video/index.php

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3391

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=1475790&cl=3496504

More thoughts about this 2B posted later...

23. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I've uploaded the photos from my camera and Matt & Dale's camera to SFfanforce.com

I'm pretty sure Robert was also taking photos? If anyone else has pictures, you can either arrange to mail a CD to me... or wait until I see you at perhaps the September meeting? (I'm not sure I will have time to make it to a meeting this month).

http://sffanforce.com/gallery/comic-con07/index.htm?page=1

As usual, I'm tired since it is late. If there are any typos let me know. And if anyone notices a photo or two is missing, it is either because a) it was a a bad picture of me (lol!) b) there were reflections on an item behind a glass case c) out of focus.
  24. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks, Kathy. There may be a few I might be sending you still, as people are giving me pics of things when I didn't have my camera. This was the first year I didn't get to see all of the Exhibit Hall. Now at least I can see what I missed.

Here are the the first batch of pics from the Golden Gate Garrison:

http://www.goldengategarrison.com/gallery/sdcc2007
  25. Tatooinepadme Jedi Knight

star 3
    Rob does have some pictures. I sort of opted out of the photo taking this year and only ended up with about 4 pictures.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.