San Fran, CA COMIC-CON 2008 JULY 23-27

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AnasianSkywalker, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I followed your lead Robert and booked a room at the same place as a back-up.
  2. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Robert, how many rooms did you get?
  3. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
  4. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool. Although I noticed a Quality Inn on Dalbergia Avenue intead of Court. that's only 3 miles away. I'm assuming you tried that already? I just hope the 1-2 star rating is not as bad as I think. [face_worried]
  5. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    http://www.qualityinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=CAA09&sid=

It used to be a Ramada Ltd. recently.

Looking at this: http://comic-con.org/cci/cci_hotel.shtml
    The cheapest rate seems to be about $150 a night on that list and for a hotel that is not that close to the convention center.
  6. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    we'll all know hotel status tomorrow morning. for now i have 500 west booked for me. i'll continue searching off and on during work and if i see anything i'll post.
  7. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Robert - your original post said you got a room for 4 people. That's why I booked an additional room.

I am also very worried about that 1.5 star rating :( I just booked it fast last night knowing I could cancel. I'd probably rather stay farther away at a hotel that is closer to 3 stars. I've had very bad experiences with 1-2 star hotels.

The hotels near the convention get more and more expensive each year as the convention is more popular. I will be happy if I get a convention hotel in the 200 dollar a night range (That's a convention rate) to be honest. If you look up those hotels without a convention rate they are going for 500 per night which is obviously out of the question for me.
  8. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    If I end up giving up my single bed at the 500 West, I'd still like to check it out when I'm down there. I saw the video tour, and maybe I'll book the "dorm" room (two bunk beds) for next year. :)
  9. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to clarify, I booked 3 rooms at the Quality Inn on Delbergia from 7/23 with check out on 7/28. Each room is $127.99 a night with 2 queen beds. I can cancel as we figure out where we stand on rooms.
  10. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    i did some research on the 500 west. although it's so close to the convention center for a very reasonable rate some customers complained about not having AC, not enough fresh towels, some unclean bathrooms, bedsheets that were inadequate. i mite jump in with you guys for Quality Inn. the price for chipping in might be the same or prolly cheaper than the $379 i was charged. looks like tomorrow at this time we'll all know where we stand for comic con hotels.
    robert pls hold down a spot for me at QA. thanks!!
  11. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Darn you comic-con housing! I had the Marriott next door... put in my credit card info... then they server was so busy the whole thing timed out and I lost my room :oops:

I did get a room about 10 blocks away at the Bristol. Not quite ideal, but I think it's on the shuttle route.

*sigh*

I'll keep checking the site but now the things that pop up are miles away.
  12. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I hear ya, Kathy. As soon as the darn thing went up, I headed straight for my choice at the Omni.. by the time the page loaded, it was completely booked, had to reload, got to the Hyatt reservation page before the entire server crashed, lost that one, had to go with the Doubletree which is a mile away, THAT crashed, then finally did get into the Doubletree when the website went back up.

We need those new hotels downtown like whoa. And I'm sure the Omni/Hyatt wouldn't have gone so fast if that new Hard Rock wasn't so expensive!

[face_frustrated]
  13. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, that hard rock wasn't helping things a bit! Over 300 a night - yeah right. Talk about overpriced.
  14. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    matt i got ur email about the virgin air SFO-SD for "$39 each way". the actual price is $59 each way flying out of SFO for CC. i just opted for southwest airlines (for rewards points) flying out of oakland since it's closer to me.
    my flight info is as follows:

Depart July 23rd WED flight 2507 at 1210pm arrive at SD 135pm.
    Depart July 27th SUN flight 2317 at 730am arrive oak 855am.

total price $139

depending on if i'll join u guys for the hotel or if i'll stick with my 500 west broadway i'll take a bus or taxi to the hotel.
  15. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    If anyone needs helps with downtown info/stuff, let me know. :)
  16. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    miana kenobi- is there an all day bus pass or trolley pass for the public transportation lines? since 500 west hotel is near the trolley station i might use the trolley service. are u familiar with the 500 west hotel? how is it? also is it close to a shipping postal annex or grocery store? thanks in advance!! kevin
  17. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Yes; all day trolley pass is only like $6. The trolley itself is only like $1.50 each way.

As for grocery stores, there's a 7-11 about a block north of the hotel. As for real grocery stores, the only one nearby is the Ralphs at Horton Plaza.
    (Your hotel is on Brodway and Columbia St. The Ralphs is in the bottom left corner of Horton Plaza.)
    <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;saddr=grocery+store&amp;daddr=500+West+Broadway+San+Diego&amp;sll=32.713716,-117.164233&amp;sspn=0.008269,0.019634&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=32.732563,-117.157727&amp;spn=0.048353,0.030409&amp;iwloc=ddw0_0&amp;om=0&amp;output=embed&amp;s=AARTsJqy7x8Falx803p2yD4lZirDqOgBHg"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;saddr=grocery+store&amp;daddr=500+West+Broadway+San+Diego&amp;sll=32.713716,-117.164233&amp;sspn=0.008269,0.019634&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=32.732563,-117.157727&amp;spn=0.048353,0.030409&amp;iwloc=ddw0_0&amp;om=0&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I've never stayed at the 500 West, but in seriousness, how often do we really stay in our rooms during Comic-Con? :p
  18. Harlock415 Jedi Master

star 4
    I never knew you could embed a Google map in a post. Meanwhile, it looks like www.hotwire.com is running a special on rental cars. http://www.hotwire.com/car/index.jsp?nid=N-OTH-107-Saturday&vid=V-OTH-107-Saturday-V1&did=D0020&tracking=promo unfortunately you have to commit to the rental by prepaying and I don't think you have a choice of agency.
  19. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
  20. Volntyr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi Kevin - Allow me to chime in on this. Recently, San Diego transit went ahead and did away with bus transfers and such. Basically, your options are the following.

Regular Regional Day Pass $5.00

Regular Regional Two-Day Pass $9.00

(allows use on 2 consecutive service days from date of purchase)

Regular Regional Three-Day Pass $12.00

(allows use on 3 consecutive service days from date of purchase)

Regular Regional Four-Day Pass $15.00

(allows use on 4 consecutive service days from date of purchase)

The odd rule is if you buy a ticket from the trolley, it is not good for the bus system. For more info, please visit www.sdmts.com

21. Dune_Sea_Hermit Force Ghost

star 1
    Not quite. According to the SDMTS site, you can use day passes for most bus routes.

? - Consider purchasing a $5.00 Regional Day Pass which is good for all trolley trips and most bus routes for one operating day.

Regional Day Passes are available from ticket vending machines and are good for unlimited rides on almost MTS Bus and Trolley routes (except Premium Express, Rural, ADA Paratransit, and Special Services) as well as NCTD BREEZE buses, SPRINTER and FAST.

If you're staying downtown or in Mission Valley, you won't need express routes anyway.

I bought a four-day pass last year, which spared me from waiting in line to buy tickets from a machine or vendor for each trip. I took the trolley from the stadium to the convention center everyday. It was usually packed after the Fashion Valley stop. Anyone who boarded after that stop had to stand in a crowded doorway or aisle. If I were staying anywhere in central downtown, I wouldn't even bother with the trolley. I'd just walk or take a shuttle.
  22. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just FYI, VA's prices go up geometrically as their flights' cabins fill up. If people are flexible, try different flights, there may be more $39 seats available. Yeah, I wish they flew to OAK too, more convenient to my folks'.

Mary-SPJ
  23. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5

Gentle Giant Ltd. 2008 Exclusives

2008 Convention Exclusives
    30 Days of Night - Marlow and Iris: Feeding Frenzy Figures (New York Comic-Con, San Diego Comic-Con, Fangoria LA)
    Harry Potter - Fred and George Weasley mini bust 2-pack (New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con)
    Indiana Jones - Artifact Crate Paperweight (New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con)
    Lord of the Rings - Tom Bombadil mini bust (New York Comic-Con and San Diego Comic-Con)
    Star Wars - Anakin Skywalker Revenge of the Sith mini bust (San Diego Comic-Con)
    Star Wars - Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike â??Camo' Kustomz (San Diego Comic-Con)

Please Note: Convention Exclusives will be available in the same manner as last year; pre-order for pick-up, purchase at the show and small quantity available to PGM members through the website after the show.
  24. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    one less exclusive that i'll buy at CC! =D= hopefully i'll just get a sideshow exclusive and the hasbro SW figure.maybe a transformer exclusive and GI Joe exclusive.
  25. NivekSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    accorrding to the shuttle bus map that's in the comic con magazine 500 west hotel is along the route. the nearest hotel stop is the westin hotel which is right next to 500 west hotel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.